Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or Socialized Medicine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or European-Modeled Socialized Medicine?

You go gurl!! Congratulations for paving the way for the rest of us...

Comment

Heh. There aren't many Medicarians on HT!

Comment

No.....I mean gummit sponsored healthcare for all. I'm up to page 350 in the Act, and I'm thinkin' it's coming.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          No.....I mean gummit sponsored healthcare for all. I'm up to page 350 in the Act, and I'm thinkin' it's coming.
          Whoot! I am now officially a sponsor.

I just got back the estimate on my surgery. The total for the surgery is over $6k. We are responsible for $3384.84. Upfront. The hospital is being nice and letting us only pay 75% upfront, but that's still $2538.63. Cuz that's gonna happen.

Thanks for dregging through that document, Cyn, and giving us some hope!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

In the midst of the health care debate comes this interesting side development.

In Hawaii, can you guess who received the most thorough health care coverage provided by the state, up until now?

Answer: Non-citizens from Micronesia, Palau, and the Marshall Islands. They received full and comprehensive medical coverage, with the state paying 100%! Surprised? I was, upon first learning of it.

But that will change for adults and non-pregnant women, effective Sept. 1.

http://www.kitv.com/money/20271024/detail.html

Now, I'm aware of the Compact of Free Association that the US govt. signed with these Pacific Island nations. I'm aware of how some of these people (esp. the Marshallese) were impacted by the nuclear weapons testing during the 1940s-'50s. But I don't see why all of that made the taxpayers of Hawaii liable for 100% of these people's medical bills, when it was the actions of the federal govt. that displaced them from their original homes and contributed to their poor health conditions. With so many taxpaying "citizens" in Hawaii not able to afford health care coverage for themselves, it is high time that the DHS drop 100% paid-for-by-the-state health plans for these non-citizens, as the feds should start footing a bigger portion of the costs associated with caring for these people.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I read over the compact documents, Frankie; then I read this study. Poor planning by Washington, with Hawaii taking the fall; the compacts say the feds will pay and reimburse Hawaii, but the repayment grants did not supply near enough funding.

Wonder if Congress knows this is waiting in the wings to bite them in the nether regions? Or will they remove the migrants from the list of eligibles?

I don't blame Hawaii for stopping this program. I would vote to stop it.

Comment

Keith Olbermann calls out each of the lawmakers by name (Republican and Democrat) who are obstructing health care reform,.... and oh, just so happens to have thousands of dollars in contribution from the health care industry. This is the most impassioned "Special Comment" from Keith that I've seen since Obama took office.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/...77034#32277034
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                  If we were to look at America as an organism, the health insurance industry itself is a cancer...
                  I'm sorry, but if we were to look at US citizens as an organism (restricting myself to America as per the quote), they are the cancer, overrunning species and habitats left and right, destroying ecological biosystems to supplant them with monocultures of crops that support their own obesity, promoting a belief in the sanctity of human life, but not the sanctity of ALL life, yada, yada, yada... In the year 9595...
                  Last edited by salmoned; August 5, 2009, 11:40 AM.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Spoke to yet another person tonight that commented on the new plan with this, "Well, you do realize that under this new plan that only really, really sick people will be able to get to the doctor, right? So if you're not deathly ill, you'll be waiting for months."

I asked where she got this information and she said from her husband who travels internationally for work. I said, "Huh, that's funny, because a lot of people I talk to from countries that already have NHS said that's not true."

I'm so over people spreading crap like this. Grrr. And the worst part? That was my own mother.

Comment

Your mom is probably getting sucked in by the 60Plus.org commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AVi_uGpCGY

Problem is, the 60+ Association is almost exclusively backed by the big pharmaceutical companies:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...us_Association

The 'Front Group' section of Source Watch is pretty good for finding out who's really behind what push for this or that agenda:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...l:Front_groups

Comment

one thing that's really ticking me off is that demagogues like palin are making the end-of-life planning clause out to be some "death panel" where elderly have to justify being able to continue living.

HTers discussed the dangers of not having an advanced directive or other kind of end of life planning in place here. the whole nation was brought into the drama of what should be a very personal choice--one that can be a gift you give to your loved ones should you be in a hospital, unconscious, and in very dire circumstances so that they don't fight over what decisions should be made next. as one HTer noted, going through the process of making end-of-life planning is painfully emotional, but, in the opinion of this non-clinical healthcare worker, it's absolutely necessary.

if you don't already have an advanced directive and would like one, let me know. i can email one to you.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                          HTers discussed the dangers of not having an advanced directive or other kind of end of life planning in place here. ..........in the opinion of this non-clinical healthcare worker, it's absolutely necessary..
                          Thanks, Cyn, been there and done that.

Shame on Palin and Rep. Michelle Bachmann for obfuscating the facts about a very important decision that people need to make as they age up.

We are going to get health care reform. And in my opinion, the more aggressive the reform, the better.

YES WE CAN!
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

For anyone who still harbors doubts about the need for health care reform, please watch the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKI9be55N00

I wonder: how is it that an insurance company whose CEO earned $3.2 million in salary, has nearly three-quarters of a billion dollars worth of stock options, and owns a 9 bedroom mansion can deny legitimate claims to people who are in dire need?

Support health care reform NOW!!! If not for the 47 million people who are uninsured, then do it before a catastrophic illness strikes you or someone in your family,..... and having your insurance claim denied. If it can happen to the people shown in the video, it can happen to anybody.

Comment

Well, yesterday I plunked down my $2384.17 and I finally get to have my surgery in the morning! They'll bill me for the rest. Too bad I still have $6 left on my deductible...

WHEN is this bill going to pass??

Comment

I watched a little of Obama's New Hampshire presentation this am on Yahoo; another orchestrated session (orchestrated in that he knew who was fer it and who was agin it as he called on folks.)

It is surprising to me that the administration took so long to change the focus of their publicity. Now it is health "insurance" reform, even though, in the first place, the bill was obviously a reform of health insurance, not health care. Now the warnings are not about the millions with no health care, but about the chances that YOU could lose your health care if you have a catastrophic event or that YOU may not be able to get health care due to your preexisting conditions.

I cannot understand why they did not focus on this in the first place. I think it would have made a lot of difference in the public's reaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X