Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or Socialized Medicine?

Default Re: Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or European-Modeled Socialized Medicine?

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well $80 a month is still pretty good compared to what it costs now. Heck even my unemployment check can handle that!
    No, that's what you'll pay if you DON'T get insurance, insurance will cost much more.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Default Re: Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or European-Modeled Socialized Medicine?

Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    No, that's what you'll pay if you DON'T get insurance, insurance will cost much more.
    Pray tell, Salmoned, how much will it cost? I pay $96 a month for my governemnt administered program.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Pray tell, Salmoned, how much will it cost? I pay $96 a month for my governemnt administered program.
    Family plan thru my wife's employer would cost us over $600 per month. Even Home Depot's family plan was less than $200 per month for part timers.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

The price for insurance isn't set by the bill, it's set by the insurance companies. Since they will not be able to charge more for covering persons with a costly medical history (or denying coverage), rates will be going up for everyone else under the 'reformed' system to pay for those guaranteed higher costs. Insurance companies 1, public 0. Remember, this bill is not creating a government administered plan - the plan is administered by the insurance companies, business as usual, with a few new costly government requirements tacked on. Profit margins will not be negatively affected because insurance rates will be adjusted as necessary.
    Last edited by salmoned; September 18th, 2009 at 10:21 AM.

“Don’t let health care be your Viet Nam, Mr. President. If you do, no wall we build in Washington will be big enough to hold the names of all the casualties your failure will leave in its wake.”
    .....Kent Nerburn (in a very interesting blog)

I'm afraid the pro-Health Care Reform leadership had allowed such a ridiculous compromise, i.e., sinking from HCR advocacy to Health Insurance Reform via a public option (and fining persons who fail to buy insurance?) vs. the ideal (basic universal health care entitlement for all citizens - with additional private health insurance optional), that the whole matter may be not only moot, but even counterproductive, for this session. It doesn't pay to compromise with ignorant, greedy bastards - one must carry on and not be diverted or perverted (per The Beatles).
    Last edited by salmoned; September 22nd, 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
    It doesn't pay to compromise with ignorant, greedy bastards - one must carry on and not be diverted or perverted (per The Beatles).
    Uhhh, care to elaborate on this one? Exactly what reference to the Beatles are you making here?

Olivia Wilde, Will Ferrell, and a few of their Hollywood friends have hearts that bleed for the insurance companies. No....really!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6Fg-R1TOE

On a more serious note, a woman at a town hall event tells House Minority Whip Eric Cantor about her 40 year old friend who lost her job and medical insurance coverage.... and has just discovered that she has growing tumors in her belly that needs to be operated on. Rep. Cantor's solution? The woman should seek out charity. *sigh!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yyiJpeA4w

Well that's fine, Congressman Cantor.... once that woman has sold off all her assets (including her home) and her finances are depleted in order to pay her debts. When she's stripped of everything she owns, then she would qualify for charitable care. But is there anything that woman can do to receive medical care before she loses everything? Huh, what was that you said??????

Folks, the truth of the matter is that Republicans like Cantor have no answers to that question. And frankly, they don't care. All they want to do is sink any meaningful health care reform so as to score political points against Obama and the Democrats in the 2010 election. Instead of thinking what is best for the American people, the "Just Say No to everything" Republicans want to play politics. Sad!!!
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 24th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    [...]
    Folks, the truth of the matter is that Republicans like Cantor have no answers to that question. And frankly, they don't care. All they want to do is sink any meaningful health care reform so as to score political points against Obama and the Democrats in the 2010 election. Instead of thinking what is best for the American people, the "Just Say No to everything" Republicans want to play politics. Sad!!!
    This is how I see it, too. The republicans go into a knee-jerk reaction. They'll denounce anything and everything that comes from a democrat without a care as to what that might be or how great it might be for the American people. It's all about regaining control and it stinks. BTW...I'm an independent republicrat with some libertarian leanings!

Uhhh, care to elaborate on this one? Exactly what reference to the Beatles are you making here?
    FM, check the lyrics to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for salmoned's reference.

Hope I get these stats right--70% of personal bankruptcies are now medically related, and 60 % of those involve people who HAVE health insurance. Take another look at "Sicko"--Michael Moore makes it clear at the start of his film that it is not about the 40 million people in America who do not have health insurance, but about those who do. And how they have to end up sneaking into Canada for medicine their insurance companies won't pay for. Etc. There are some people who are safe, who can count on their insurance companies living up to their contracts--prominent politicians, popular well known media types, well placed executives. The rest of us...well its hit and miss, maybe they will honor their committments, maybe not. Your health and financial future depend on what some bean counter you will never meet decides. Oh but at least you won't have the federal gvt. getting between you and your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    FM, check the lyrics to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for salmoned's reference.
    Ah, one of those "pick a line from a song" kind of deal. Thanks for the heads up, Leo.

I can hardly wait for the next genius to justify vigilantism, as per the Beatles. "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," don'tcha know?

"Happiness Is A Warm Gun," don'tcha know?
    Rocky said, "Doc, it's only a scratch..."

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I'm an independent republicrat with some libertarian leanings!
    TuTu, where's the love for the Green Party?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Just a brain-fut, matapule. I realized after the edit button disappeared that I'd left out 'green'! So...
    I'm an independent republicrat with some green libertarian leanings!

The public option was voted down in the Senate Finance committee, but IT IS NOT DEAD! Nothing could be further from the truth.

Every other health care reform bill that is making its way through Congress has a public option. The Senate Health & Education committee has one, and both committees bills will merge. Even if the public option should somehow not get into the merged bill, it could be added via an amendment on the Senate floor.

Five Senate Dems voted against the public option yesterday. The GOP and right wing media want to paint a picture that the measure is all but dead and buried. But I look at the same numbers and see the glass half full instead of empty. I see 55 Senate Dems that are in favor, which may be 5 short of a filibuster proof majority. But that is enough senators to jam a public option through via the reconciliation process.

Talking Re: Obamanomics: Healthcare Reform or European-Modeled Socialized Medicine?

Which "Green Party"?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

The public option was voted down in the Senate Finance committee, but IT IS NOT DEAD! Nothing could be further from the truth.
    That's a relief!

Growing Momentum for Public Option

All Hail Tom Harkin! He says he has the votes to pass a public option

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    I'm an independent republicrat with some green libertarian leanings!
    Then great!, a true "liberal" (with a small "L") in every sense of the word.

I had a chat with my Senior Advantage Medicare provider representative yesterday (he is NOT a senior but his employer provides a comprehensive and free health program). We talked about the public option and he said, "you know, I think they are rushing to much on this." To which my dear uaifi responded in deadpan, "Yeah they've been working on this since Truman. Sixty years isn't nearly long enough to review this."

Props to the uaifi!

Lieberman in 2006: I can do more for you and your families to get something done to make health care affordable, to get universal health insurance

2009: Key Senators React To Lieberman's Fuzzy Public Option Logic

If Republicans and pro insurance company Democrats want to fillibuster against health care, by all means let them. What a glorious educational spectacle for the voters. Let the American people see our system at its dismal most selfish petty corrupt worst, consider it an investment. Let them fillibuster!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
    If Republicans and pro insurance company Democrats want to fillibuster against health care, by all means let them. What a glorious educational spectacle for the voters. Let the American people see our system at its dismal most selfish petty corrupt worst, consider it an investment. Let them fillibuster!
    And two months later, we've seen the democrats roll over.

It looks like a mandate is imminent.

Healthcare Bill: Pay for a Plan or Go to Jail

President Obama v Candidate Obama
    Last edited by Vanguard; December 24th, 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast