Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wants to move to Kauai

Aloha,
    I lived on Maui for almost ten years, I went to high school and college there. and my daughter was born there, but I recently moved to California, and I want to move back to Hawaii. But I thought that I would move to a different island, and I always wanted to go to Kauai.

I was just reaching out to anyone who lives on Kauai, and to see if there is plenty jobs available, I know there is housing available. And if a white girl single mom from Maui would fit in

calimaui25

Re: Wants to move to Kauai

My question is to anyone "Are there 'plenty jobs available'" ANYWHERE
    in this entire country in these uncertain times.

Sorry, I didn't give you any information about your initial post but really,
    I keep reading the papers and watching the news and that question seems
    to be answered without asking which is a real bummerroo nation-wide.

Comment

As leashlaws says, one answer to one of your questions is definitely "no." There are not many jobs available on Kauai... much less so than there are jobs available even in Honolulu, with thousands of companies and a million people.

Why Kauai? If you've spent time on Maui and are familiar with Maui, it'd make more sense to set up basecamp in familiar territory before jumping over to a brand new community. You may even still have friends or old contacts there... which, frankly, is your best bet when it comes to finding a job. Something you'll want to find before buying your plane ticket.

Comment

Doesn't everyone want to move to Kaua`i? I do.

I lived there for a few years back in the early 90's, in the hills above Kapa`a. My best friend had a tourboat company and lived in Hanalei. I thought I was in Heaven. My job was based from O`ahu; there's not much work to be had unless you have your own business or enough money to start a B&B for tourists.

Kaua`i is a very different place from Maui - apples and oranges, maybe mountain apples. Maui is energetic, exciting and active while Kaua`i is more laid-back and relaxed.

Best of luck.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I live on Maui now (originally from Honolulu). If I moved away to the mainland and wanted to move back to Hawaii, I'd also want to live on a different island. It's like, why move back to Maui or Oahu? Been there, done that. I'd probably choose the Big Island. In fact, if I were single, I'd pack my bags and move there now. I know, not knowing anyone is a problem, but we didn't know anyone when we moved to Maui. Making friends and finding your way on a new island is part of the fun.
          Edited to add: Oh but no, I'd never move to Molokai!
          Last edited by Sharilyn; July 9, 2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
            Edited to add: Oh but no, I'd never move to Molokai!
            Is this a jab at Random?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Is this a jab at Random?
              Naw, it's in reference to the other post, "Thinking about making the move to Molokai"

Comment

Originally posted by calimaui25 View Post
                Aloha,
                I lived on Maui for almost ten years, I went to high school and college there. and my daughter was born there, but I recently moved to California, and I want to move back to Hawaii. But I thought that I would move to a different island, and I always wanted to go to Kauai.

I was just reaching out to anyone who lives on Kauai, and to see if there is plenty jobs available, I know there is housing available. And if a white girl single mom from Maui would fit in

calimaui25
                The help wanted section in the paper used to take up a whole page of The Garden Island about a year ago, but recent issues I've see have maybe a dozen ads. Most of those ads are in the restaurant or service sectors. But who knows, if you're the right fit for a job, you could be hired by anyone here--the pool of applicants are usually small for most jobs except TSA.

Cost of housing is sorta on the higher end. a 1-bedroom apartment could go for $700-800 in Lihue, the county's capital.

Gas prices aren't too bad--10-15 cents more per gallon as compared to Oahu.

Zero nightlife, except for a couple popular bars. If you're raising a young child, it should be pretty fun for both of you--lots of beaches and family-oriented things to do. Like someone said in a previous post, it's laid-back. Awesome island if you're into hiking and such.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  Doesn't everyone want to move to Kaua`i? I do.

I lived there for a few years back in the early 90's, in the hills above Kapa`a. My best friend had a tourboat company and lived in Hanalei. I thought I was in Heaven. My job was based from O`ahu; there's not much work to be had unless you have your own business or enough money to start a B&B for tourists.

Kaua`i is a very different place from Maui - apples and oranges, maybe mountain apples. Maui is energetic, exciting and active while Kaua`i is more laid-back and relaxed.

Best of luck.
                  Actually "no" I don't want to move to Kaua'i! I love it here and bought my house specifically to grow old(er) in! It has no stairs lots of rooms and
                  plenty of yard(s) everything I need is right here!

Visiting is great though and I like all the other islands!

Comment

Working...
                  X