No announcement yet.

Should I open these packets from China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I open these packets from China?

received two packets from China from a 'Hong Da Group' whose address is listed on the label as 'NO. 177 Zhen ning road' in Zhen hai (the city), China. Says it's from 'Wang' (last name, no first name). It appears to be postmarked from July 5th.

I am afraid to know what is inside...a trap? poison gases upon opening? Federal Agents to break through my door upon opening the packet(s) due to a device within?

WHAT THE HECK?

These packets look like the size of a FEDEX or UPS or USPS small packet (the size of about 8.5 x 11 inches)...

it's description says 'toy of cat' 1 pc each with a U.S. value of $10.00.

what is scary is that it has my correct address...and 'someone's phone number...like it's suppose to be mine?...both local phone numbers starting with 832-xxxx, but when my wife called it, one was out of service and the other appeared to be a fax phone line...

Should I or should I not open it? Of course, I am leaning at not opening it, as I don't know what it is...now the big thing is...I hope I am not being charged from any of my valid credit cards or other account!
    Last edited by hawaiiguy; July 9, 2009, 07:04 PM.

Re: should i open these packets from China???

Refuse it! Return it to the post office. That way you would probably be off the hook should it be some kind of bomb or lethal agent. You might even want to call 911, but I'm not sure. USPS is federal jurisdiction.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: Should I open these packets from China?

I agree with lavagal. Play it safe and get it out of your home asap and make sure you turn it over to an appropriate authority. Better yet, have them pick it up. Tonight isn't too soon! Then let us know what happens.

Comment

gosh...making me so scared...ok, i took the two packets outside of the house...will take to will-call window tomorrow morning at the post office, and hear what they have to say...

Comment

This is very interesting! I would let curiosity get the better of me...in a controlled environment, of course
          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Should I open these cat toys from China?

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
            received two packets from China from a 'Hong Da Group' whose address is listed on the label as 'NO. 177 Zhen ning road' in Zhen hai (the city), China. Says it's from 'Wang' (last name, no first name). It appears to be postmarked from July 5th.

I am afraid to know what is inside...a trap? poison gases upon opening? Federal Agents to break through my door upon opening the packet(s) due to a device within?

WHAT THE HECK?

These packets look like the size of a FEDEX or UPS or USPS small packet (the size of about 8.5 x 11 inches)...

it's description says 'toy of cat' 1 pc each with a U.S. value of $10.00.

what is scary is that it has my correct address...and 'someone's phone number...like it's suppose to be mine?...both local phone numbers starting with 832-xxxx, but when my wife called it, one was out of service and the other appeared to be a fax phone line...

Should I or should I not open it? Of course, I am leaning at not opening it, as I don't know what it is...now the big thing is...I hope I am not being charged from any of my valid credit cards or other account!
            Dude, chill.

1. Do you have a cat?
            2. Might one of your family or yourself ordered a cat-toy online, than forgotten it? (I do this all the time!)
            3. There are many 'front' organizations that move Chinese goods. It's not illegal, SFAIK, but they are able to market Chinese-made goods in the USA.

Check your credit-card and PayPal records, and if you're still uncertain, have the authorities inspect it - knowing that if it is something you have ordered, which is harmless, you will be taken less seriously next time.

Better safe than sorry, but make sure you ensure it's not 'stupid' rather than 'sorry.'

BTW: there ARE ONLY TWO real CAT TOYS:

The first is a dangling string, tom which can be attached a feather, ball, or whatever. Cats love to bat at and catch anything hanging from a string.

The second is called a "Porcupine Ball." A rubber/plastic ball from which there emits hundreds of pointy plastic spikes. Available on-line from several outlets, Here, and Cheaper here!

1: Check recent orders.
            2: Avoid unwarranted paranoia (but be paranoid is nothing clicks).
            3: Do the RIGHT thing!

Your cats may love you for it!

Oh, and get a grip!

And... Google the company and address, to see what they make~!

I did, and got this.

I didn't see anything about cat toys, though......., nor any direct hits.
            Be careful.
            Last edited by Kaonohi; July 9, 2009, 10:04 PM. Reason: 2nd, 3rd, 4th thoughts...
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Well doing a little Googling took me to this site: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...ecoration.html

Apparently a ceramic cat figurine from a chinese manufacturer.
              Attached Files
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Should I open these cat toys from China?

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                BTW: there ARE ONLY TWO real CAT TOYS:

The first is a dangling string, tom which can be attached a feather, ball, or whatever. Cats love to bat at and catch anything hanging from a string.

The second is called a "Porcupine Ball." A rubber/plastic ball from which there emits hundreds of pointy plastic spikes. Available on-line from several outlets, Here, and Cheaper here!
                Actually there are THREE cat toys, don't forget the laser pointer
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Should I open these cat toys from China?

hawaiiguy, you said that the packages had your correct address... were they addressed to you by name?
                  Or were they just addressed to "occupant"?

If there is NO WAY that you or anyone in your household placed an order for merchandise, then I agree with lavagal & tutusue. I would take the parcels back to the post office as "refused."

However, if, as Kaonohi suggests, there is the slightest possibility that someone in your household may have ordered a cat toy (esp. if you DO have a cat)... then maybe you don't need to be paranoid.

But I seem to remember watching some movie awhile back, with a plot that involved illegal drug smuggling...
                  The overseas bad guys would mail parcels containing drugs to unsuspecting people. If the drugs were discovered in transit, the innocent addressee would take the rap. But if the parcel successfully made it into the U.S., the bad guys would be watching for the mail delivery, and would steal the parcel from the innocent addressee's doorstep. Hmmmm... maybe a little paranoia is in order, after all.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Actually there are THREE cat toys, don't forget the laser pointer
                  LOL, exactly what I was thinking! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rJlV...layer_embedded

Or you can always use a cheezeburger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cyv6...layer_embedded

To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Have you recently bought a product which advertised a 'free gift'?
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

It might be related to the issue you had with your credit card that you posted about:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=17139

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                        It might be related to the issue you had with your credit card that you posted about:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=17139
                        Oooh, good catch, Peshkwe! If hawaiiguy's credit card info was compromised, that could be it!

If it turns out that you're correct, I predict a new possible career:
                        *drum roll* ... Peshkwe, P.I.!

Can I ride around with you in the red Ferrari?
                        To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                          Oooh, good catch, Peshkwe! If hawaiiguy's credit card info was compromised, that could be it!

If it turns out that you're correct, I predict a new possible career:
                          *drum roll* ... Peshkwe, P.I.!

Can I ride around with you in the red Ferrari?
                          Sure! As long as you no mind the bumper sticker holding it together.

*hums*

flying down the highways riding in my NDN car

Comment

1. have no cats.
                            2. no one in the family loves cats (sorry cat lovers...)
                            3. oh yeah...I thought it had something to do with my credit card being run up recently...but have had no purchases recently (btw, credit card copy cancelled the credit card #s and reissued new credit card #s).
                            4. nothing debited from my internet payment account...
                            5. btw, it did have my first and last name - spelled correctly...address correct...just those 2 phone numbers that were written on the labels of the two different packets which I dont know...again...these #s were 808-832-xxxx.

too lazy to go to the post office this morning...already at work...will go tomorrow a.m.
                            Last edited by hawaiiguy; July 10, 2009, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiguy View Post
                              1. have no cats.
                              2. no one in the family loves cats (sorry cat lovers...)
                              3. oh yeah...I thought it had something to do with my credit card being run up recently...but have had no purchases recently (btw, credit card copy cancelled the credit card #s and reissued new credit card #s).
                              4. nothing debited from my internet payment account...

too lazy to go to the post office this morning...already at work...will go tomorrow a.m.
                              Could be something that got ordered on your CC just after the card got canceled so in an overseas market the info hadn't caught up to the supplier...so they shipped thinking they're gonna be paid.

I believe with unsolicited mail you can keep whatever it is, toss it or give it away.

However you might want to check inside (at the post office in front of witnesses if you want) and see if if there's a shipping receipt. It could be from some company who has your current info and is running the scam that if you don't refuse it and cancel they'll keep billing you...or even if someone has stolen your personal ID. Someone could have set up a new card that works using your SS# and info and they're running around jacking up your credit all to hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X