A new (to me) type of 'beach pervert'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new (to me) type of 'beach pervert'

Yesterday at a very crowded beach in Los Angeles, my friend had to chase off a pervert!!

Here's what happened. I'm at the beach with some girlfriends and two toddlers. Its jam-packed. Girls, kids, and surfers everywhere. We notice a guy standing near us with a videocamera on his shoulder, recording the waves maybe? Nope. His camera was backwards on his shoulders, and he was filming sunbathers and kids on the sly!!

So my friend immediately jumps up and gets in his face and starts screaming, stuff like "what do you think youre doing" "are you a child molester?" "you're a pervert, sneaking videos of people!" "im getting the lifeguard, you're a creep", etc etc etc.

But he didn't want to leave?! I told him "dude, you might as well just go. She's gonna scream at you until you do". Anyway, at this point everyone is staring, and a few people even tried to get involved, but my friend kept yelling about what she saw him doing, and he slunk off.

I'm sharing this because I feel so comfortable on the beach, I would never notice some perv hanging around. Be aware out there!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: a new (to me) type of 'beach pervert'

With those small handheld Flip cameras and whatnot that can record 30 to 60 minutes of footage without anyone really knowing it, I'm sure there's a YouTube channel that has anything and everything, and I don't want to imagine what other places that might have worse. We're surrounded by a constant urge to see or capture the unseen, and it's sad to think there are people who will roam places just to do things like that.

Comment

My friend just let me know that the guy that was filming and we chased off is the same perv that her 'mommies group' has been warning moms about!

We actually ran off a child pervert! I wish we had gotten a lifeguard involved...
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

if you're in a public space, you're fair game. It doen't make you a pervert if you like to take candids in public places, which I do, but of course your friend was also completely within her rights to voice her displeasure. We've discussed this here before, and I've been outnumbered in not thinking it's a big deal. If you disagree, you should use your rights to change the laws, but be careful: laws like that will also limit the power of an independent press to capture news.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: A new (to me) type of 'beach pervert'

When camera phones first came out, a friend of mine had a random guy taking pictures up her skirt while she stood in line at Starbucks. And no, she wasn't wearing a super-short skirt. One of our other friends noticed, and the employees detained the perv and called the cops.

I don't think she was to blame just for being out in public. I realize this is a totally different situation, but still- someone was having pictures taken of her that she didn't want/was not aware of.

Good for you for chasing the nasty perv away! I can just imagine how that went down!

I really do hate how it is so easy now for anyone to film or take pictures of anybody. Media has to get waviers to broadcast people or else they pixelate them out. I don't find it amusing when I suddenly find pictures of myself on someone's Myspace page that I didn't even know existed. If I post a picture of someone, it's one they know I took and have seen before.

But I can understand innocent tourists filming the ocean and stuff when they go to Hawaii. And I can bet that somewhere out there are at least 10 home movies of me and TG jumping out of the way, calling, "S$@^, sorry!" as we were trying to walk across a beach.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
            I don't think she was to blame just for being out in public. I realize this is a totally different situation, but still- someone was having pictures taken of her that she didn't want/was not aware of.
            There's a concept at work called the reasonable expectation of privacy. You may be in a public space, but you should be able to expect to keep whatever's up your skirt as private as you wish; therefore, camera shots up skirts are a violation of your privacy.

I really do hate how it is so easy now for anyone to film or take pictures of anybody. Media has to get waviers to broadcast people or else they pixelate them out. I don't find it amusing when I suddenly find pictures of myself on someone's Myspace page that I didn't even know existed. If I post a picture of someone, it's one they know I took and have seen before.
            I'm not sure I like it either. There are days when I just don't want my photo taken, and our own pzarquon is notorious for catching me on my bad days. You are wrong about the media having to get signed waivers for the broadcasting of people's images. Do you think those criminals being led in cuffs from the patrol car to the station are stopped and asked for signatures on waivers? They aren't. Neither are political figures or people in accidents, and that's the way we want it, if we want journalists to be able to get their stories. Generally, news photographers will ask for waivers when they're taking candids, but that is mostly to protect their butts. They are not legally required to do it and most of the time, you'd have difficulty successfully suing them if they published a photo of you without your permission. They do it to prevent bad stuff from happening (such as inadvertently outing people in the Witness Protection Program), but that's strictly for them: they don't really care about whether or not you want to be on the front page.

My dislike for the ease with which my image can pop up WHEREVER (and remember, I'm a high-school teacher, so taken out of context, some photos of me could damage my credibility with my students), though, does not outweigh my conviction that if I am in a public space, any photographer should be entitled to taking my picture.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Photographer’s Right

Misinformation about your photography rights continues to spread
              "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
              Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                You are wrong about the media having to get signed waivers for the broadcasting of people's images. Do you think those criminals being led in cuffs from the patrol car to the station are stopped and asked for signatures on waivers? They aren't. Neither are political figures or people in accidents, and that's the way we want it, if we want journalists to be able to get their stories.
                I guess I was thinking more of the people on COPS and reality shows who choose not to have their faces shown. I didn't stop to think that showing a video of a 17-year-old being chasing by the police, tackled, cuffed, and driven away was completely different than showing a 17-year-old walking into court in a suit, accompanied by his lawyer and parents.

Thanks for the links. They were really interesting and I'm very glad to know that I wouldn't have broken any laws if I might have followed a pig trail and landed on the wrong side of a razor-wire fence and taken pictures of a semi-famous landmark. Not that I did.

Comment

I guess I was thinking more of the people on COPS and reality shows who choose not to have their faces shown. I didn't stop to think that showing a video of a 17-year-old being chasing by the police, tackled, cuffed, and driven away was completely different than showing a 17-year-old walking into court in a suit, accompanied by his lawyer and parents.
                  Aren't minors protected against having their faces shown? But, tv cameras will capture his relatives going to court. This is a small island and going be shame.

Comment

The big difference between shows like COPs and the news is that COPs (and reality shows in general) is a product put together for resale to the various networks, the news isn't specifically a 'for profit' gig. The producers of the reality show has to track down and get signed release forms from those people who are filmed that are by-standers.

I think the only ones they don't have to get signed forms for are the cop dash recordings and the interrogation room recordings for folks who get busted doing stupid stuff 'cause after trial it becomes part of the public record.

As for the minors faces being blocked on the news, that has more to do with the fed and state laws for child protection and privacy.

Comment

When camera phones first came out, a friend of mine had a random guy taking pictures up her skirt while she stood in line at Starbucks. And no, she wasn't wearing a super-short skirt. One of our other friends noticed, and the employees detained the perv and called the cops.
                      I really don't get what's so tittilating about 'upskirt' pics. Reminds me of gradeschool behavior, and little boys trying to peek under girls' skirts. We had to wear shorts under our dresses, even on the hottest days!

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                        The big difference between shows like COPs and the news is that COPs (and reality shows in general) is a product put together for resale to the various networks, the news isn't specifically a 'for profit' gig. The producers of the reality show has to track down and get signed release forms from those people who are filmed that are by-standers.
                        Bingo - it's the sale of those images that require a release.

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                        I really don't get what's so tittilating about 'upskirt' pics. Reminds me of gradeschool behavior, and little boys trying to peek under girls' skirts.
                        You asked and answered in your own sentences --- there are many people who fail to outgrow certain behaviors from their youth. Some of those behaviors are less healthy than others. Sometimes, an unresolved childhood issue can develop into a harmless fetish - other times into criminal activity.

Comment

When I was in high school the female substitute gym teacher ( in her 40's )calmly set out new stacks of towels at the exit to the male locker room showers in plain view of the nude male students showering and coming out to get a towel. She took her time arranging the towels to.

Nobody reported it, although there was some joking about it later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
                            I really don't get what's so tittilating about 'upskirt' pics. Reminds me of gradeschool behavior, and little boys trying to peek under girls' skirts. We had to wear shorts under our dresses, even on the hottest days!
                            I had to wear a uniform skirt from 1st-12th grade and I always wore shorts or boxers under it too. Some jerk would inevitably end up lifting your skirt up and ha-ha joke's on him. Hope you like my turquoise and white polka-dot boxers!

The guy who took the pics up my friend's skirt was about 18 and to an 18-year old, I'm sure getting to look up a girl's skirt is fairly exciting, as is taking pictures of the event and getting to go show your friends that you had the balls to do it in a public place.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                              I'm sharing this because I feel so comfortable on the beach, I would never notice some perv hanging around. Be aware out there!
                              Ditto for any public place, be aware:
                              A federal judge sentenced a former National Park Service ranger to three years' probation yesterday and ordered him to perform 50 hours of community service for taking pictures up women's skirts at the USS Arizona Memorial.
                              http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200...probation.html
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X