Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas

What does this song mean? And what does the reference to '808' mean in the lyrics?
    I'm a beast when you turn me on
    Into the future cybertron
    Harder, faster, better, stronger
    Sexy ladies extra longer, cuz
    We got the beat that bounce
    We got the beat that pow
    We got the beat that 808
    That the boom boom in your town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F444CELomo

Lyrics here: http://www.songlyrics.com/black-eyed...om-pow-lyrics/

Re: Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas

According to this,

"The song's a shot at other modern groups / artists, they're saying that other groups are "jackin [their] style" but they're so much better than them."

As for the 808, I got nothing. I don't even like the BEP and have only heard this song once, but was bored and looked it up on the aforementioned website.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I'm glad I'll never know and hopefully never hear it! She is really pretty though.

Comment

I believe they are referring to the Roland TR-808. This was a drum machine from the 80's that people found out you could tweak the sound in a way to get deep bass and other sounds. Many very common drum and bass hit sounds come from this machine. This machine helped to define the sound of Hip-Hop. Even many of todays sounds are 808 sounds further tweaked with more modern equipment.

Many Hip-Hop songs refer to 808 in their lyrics. Look at the "Notes" section on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TR-808
        sigpic You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Comment

Not the area code, tho everybody loves Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by sunriseshell View Post
            I believe they are referring to the Roland TR-808. This was a drum machine from the 80's that people found out you could tweak the sound in a way to get deep bass and other sounds. Many very common drum and bass hit sounds come from this machine. This machine helped to define the sound of Hip-Hop. Even many of todays sounds are 808 sounds further tweaked with more modern equipment.

Many Hip-Hop songs refer to 808 in their lyrics. Look at the "Notes" section on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TR-808
            Yep, I'm pretty sure sunriseshell is correct. Looks like a TR-808 reference.

Although when the Peas do "Boom Boom Pow" at this year's Bayfest,
            I'm sure they'll get a lotta love from the crowd when they get to that particular line!

On a side note, Kanye West's 4th album was titled "808's & Heartbreak."
            Every track on the album made heavy use of the TR-808.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/808s_%26_Heartbreak

Interestingly enough, Kanye did some of the work for the album at Avex Studio in Hawaii Kai...
            thus adding a "Hawaii 808" connection as well!

http://mail.eastoahusun.com/features0108/recording.html
            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Thanks everyone! That makes sense. Why am I the only one I know that likes this song? I also like their other song, "Pump It". I play both every morning. Hey, I'm in my mid-50s, and I need to get a kick start in the morning.

Comment

for what it's worth, i like the song, too; then again, i'm also in my mid-50s so go figure!

(also like "where is the love", "my humps", "let's get it started", etc....)
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                  for what it's worth, i like the song, too; then again, i'm also in my mid-50s so go figure!
                  Hah, that's funny! I hate to admit this, but I also love Lady Gaga (or Lady Gag, as some people call her). Like most everyone, I like all kinds of music, but listening to silly stuff dumbs my brain and helps me to be not so serious.

Comment

I like this song too, but overall I'm not liking their stuff as of late.

Comment

Hey, you never know what song is gonna strike you and get you moving. I secretly like "Faded" by Soul Decision (yeah, I know that's an old one) and that's so not something I would normally ever listen to. And Lady Gag(a)'s "Just Dance" was all over the radio when I lived on Oahu, so it always makes me smile- that and "Disturbia". Again- songs I normally don't listen to. But shhh- don't tell!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Not sure if Tikiyaki is still reading this board, but if so, ask him what he thinks of the song "My Humps". Tiki, you there? lol

Way back in the 80s my friend bought a Roland rack-mount Digital Delay (I can't remember the exact model, but it was very expensive) for his guitar, and we had equally as entertaining a time running a microphone through it and messing around with the rate, filter and feedback modulation settings. Some CRAZY vocal effects came out of that thing.

As for Boom Boom Pow, I kinda' like it. It kinda' has a 80's Miami Bass/Techno fusion thing going on. That said, I don't think the lyrics really matter with this type of music. It's just meant to get your head boppin' and and your butt on the dance floor. Same with "My Humps". lol
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          As for Boom Boom Pow, I kinda' like it. It kinda' has a 80's Miami Bass/Techno fusion thing going on. That said, I don't think the lyrics really matter with this type of music. It's just meant to get your head boppin' and and your butt on the dance floor. Same with "My Humps". lol

A lot of their new album has that 80's groove to it. I like it, although "The APL Song" is one of my favorites.

Plus their stuff generally sounds good coming though my sub not to mention my new home network is called Boom Boom Pao. Get it? LOL
                          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                            ...Plus their stuff generally sounds good coming though my sub not to mention my new home network is called Boom Boom Pao. Get it? LOL
                            LOL, just gotta be careful not to crank it up too much ...
                            'Cause if you blow out your system, then it's Boom Boom PAU.
                            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                              LOL, just gotta be careful not to crank it up too much ...
                              'Cause if you blow out your system, then it's Boom Boom PAU.
                              hahaha... tru that! not to mention annoy the neighbors
                              -kp!

Comment

Working...
                              X