No announcement yet.

Sears Tower is now Willis Tower!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sears Tower is now Willis Tower?!?!!!!

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    at least times is a local business.
    Times was founded by a local family (the Teruyas) many moons ago. But it is now owned by a mainland company (Quinn).
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Sears Tower is now Willis Tower!

Why not just sell off the parts or names of the islands:

AT&T Atoll
      Bank of America Bar
      Chevron Cay
      Citigroup Coral reef (lots of Cs)
      Costco Crater
      Dell Delta (kinda weak )
      Exxon Mobile?
      Ford?
      GE Golf Course
      Hewlett-Packard Hawai'i
      IBM Island
      J.P. Morgan Chase?
      Kraft Kauai
      K-Mart Kaluapapa
      Lowe's Lahania
      Microsoft Maui
      Nike Ni'ihau
      Oshkosh O'ahu
      Procter & Gamble P'u 'Ō'ō
      Quicktime?
      Rite Aid?
      Sears Sandbar
      Target Turtle Bay
      UPS Upolu Point
      Viacom?
      Wall Mart Waikīkī
      Xerox?
      Yum Brands?
      Zildjian?

I was going for names that rolled of the tongue nice, but the trend boxed me into a corner.
      sigpic You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Comment

Exxon-Mobil Ewa
        Ford Ford Island
        J.P. Morgan Chase's Jimmy Buffett's at the Beachcomber (wow, that's a mouthful!)
        Rite-Aid Royal Hawaiian
        Viacom's Vactions (?)

That's all I could come up with. Most of those other letters you had trouble with aren't found in the Hawaiian alphabet.

So now we're at:

AT&T Atoll
        Bank of America Bar
        Chevron Cay
        Citigroup Coral reef (lots of Cs)
        Costco Crater
        Dell Delta (kinda weak )
        Exxon Mobile Ewa
        Ford Ford Island
        GE Golf Course
        Hewlett-Packard Hawai'i
        IBM Island
        J.P. Morgan Chase's Jimmy Buffett's at the Beachcomber
        Kraft Kauai
        K-Mart Kaluapapa
        Lowe's Lahania
        Microsoft Maui
        Nike Ni'ihau
        Oshkosh O'ahu
        Procter & Gamble P'u 'Ō'ō
        Quicktime?
        Rite Aid Royal Hawaiian
        Sears Sandbar
        Target Turtle Bay
        UPS Upolu Point
        Viacom Vacations (?)
        Wall Mart Waikīkī
        Xerox?
        Yum Brands?
        Zildjian?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Re: Sears Tower is now Willis Tower?!?!!!!

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          Times was founded by a local family (the Teruyas) many moons ago. But it is now owned by a mainland company (Quinn).
          thx for the correction, gramps.

to go back to oceanpacific's question, and given FM's enlightenment, i will add the following to my post above:

(3) nothing. unless you want to go banging on the fujiekis' doors and berating them for selling their business to a mainland company or you have the money yourself to buy it from the new owners.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

thx for the correction, gramps.
            Ha! It's usually senior citizens that are not on top of ownership/management changeovers. Even now, I still see some elderly customers expressing surprise when told by a Star employee that John Fujieki Sr. passed away.... nearly a decade after the fact! "Oh no, he died?!? When?"

I'm surprised that Star lasted as long on as it did, being practically on life support for the last few years. Their cash flow situation was tight and they couldn't afford to keep their shelves adequately stocked with inventory. But it's a psychological turn-off for customers. If you're going to buy canned goods, it feels better to buy from a well-stocked shelf than a nearly bare one.

(3) nothing. unless you want to go banging on the fujiekis' doors and berating them for selling their business to a mainland company or you have the money yourself to buy it from the new owners.
            Foodland is still locally owned (the Sullivans). But you can't blame Star for selling out to Quinn if they offered a higher bid.

Getting back on topic,...

It's interesting to note the attitudes that people have about title sponsorship of buildings/facilities. At a time when tax revenues are down and local businesses are struggling, I foresee both the public and private sector being willing to sell naming rights to bring in needed funds. For instance, we all know about how state budget shortfalls are decimating public school funding. If for example, if a corporate sponsor is willing to pay "X" amount to have their name attached to a high school football field for 2 years, would schools be in a position to turn it down simply because oldtime "traditionalists" think it sounds wierd?
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Ha! It's usually senior citizens that are not on top of ownership/management changeovers. Even now, I still see some elderly customers expressing surprise when told by a Star employee that John Fujieki Sr. passed away.... nearly a decade after the fact! "Oh no, he died?!? When?"
              usually, when eric and i shop, it's too crowded or too late for many elderly, so i appreciate your sharing that revelatory anecdote.

I foresee both the public and private sector being willing to sell naming rights to bring in needed funds.
              your foresight is quite prescient in that it's already happening!

i'll add to the list that mel started about a dozen posts ago: pacific tower at 1001 bishop street is now the american savings bank tower. 1000 bishop street, which, as far as i remember, never had a name other than its address, changed its name sometime in 1999-2003 to the cades building, after its 12th floor inhabitants. (rumor indicates a number of smaller law firms/solo practitioners did not renew their leases there bcs of the name change, but i am in no position to know if it's true.)

one organization whose buildings will never change names, no matter what happens in terms of ownership, is the harry and jeanette weinberg foundation, at least based on what i've heard. the foundation, in exchange for providing funding, requires the building forever hold the weinberg name.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The Sears Tower was well under construction when I was born in the Windy City in June of 1972. I spent the first dozen years of my life there and have been in the observation deck many times, still have some family back there. I will ALWAYS fondly call it the SEARS TOWER, I don't care if they change the name a million times, at least in my lifetime, it's what I will always call it.

I have a pet peeve about corporate names being affixed to stadiums and arenas, especially when the names get changed more often than not.

Aj

Comment

I just returned from a visit to Chicago this past Labor Day weekend, travelling there via United Airlines. I read in an article published in United's onboard magazine Hemispheres that United Airlines will be moving their corporate operations from the northwest suburbs of Chicago to the Sears...ahem..(what you talking about) Willis Tower. Evidently United is going to be one of the major tenents housed within the tower.

Like Kalihiboy, I've been up on the observation deck numerous times in what I too will always refer to as the Sears Tower. Spectacular views to be had up there, though I prefer the view from the John Hancock Center, if that's what that building is still called. (Or is it too in line for a name change?) I'd like to visit the observation deck at Sears again to experience that new add-on to it, which is a "sky walk" in which one can step out onto a retractable glass platform similar to the one recently erected in Arizona's Grand Canyon. That would be some kind of rush!

Comment

Could be worse. How about calling it the Sheikh Abdullah Mohammed Tower, owned by some fundalmentalist in Saudi Arabia that loathes America and is only looking to cash in.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                      How about calling it the Sheikh Abdullah Mohammed Tower
                      But then you could abbreviate it and call it the S.A.M. Tower!

Comment

Working...
                      X