Are you a locavore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a locavore?

we went to the farm fair at bishop museum today and enjoyed a lot of local products for lunch. i initially was going to post in "what's for lunch?" but figured it might be good to start a new thread.

we started off our visit with lamb masala (for eric) and thai red curry (for me) over brown rice from da spot's stand. the owners are an adorable young couple (she's japanese; he's who are often at the KCC farmer's market. every time eric and i get a plate there, we say to ourselves that we need to patronize them more often. i remember during the first year of our dating, we picked up a plate from their pumehana store front. back then, just as it was today, everything was sooo good, and for a very reasonable price. plus their baklava is yum!

we also had grilled corn on the cob that was too lightly slathered in lilikoi butter and had way more salt than the "herb seasoning" label would have indicated (i guess i'm a little "salty" that it cost $4 , but eh...i got caught up in the spirit of supporting local farmers/businesses).

eric pretty much inhaled a meadow gold ice cream cone that kids from 4H were running around selling for a dollar. he took one bite, i took one bite & told him he could have the rest, turned away just to make sure i didn't walk into a pole and then turned back and wow! the whole cone was gone. guess those cones don't last like they did when we were small keeds.

we enjoyed the coffee tasting, hosted by shawn steiman, whom we had the pleasure of meeting last winter in waialua when he hosted a tasting lesson. this time, he featured 2 coffees from molokai, one each from maui, oahu and kauai, and three from the big island (one from kona and the others from kau). one of the kau coffees was voted #7 of 10 of the best coffees in the world.

we were able to try butters from naked cow dairy, which is located in waianae as well as sausage from north shore cattle company. we'll be visiting both of them next weekend at the KCC farmer's market.

shout out to tutusue: north shore cattle has your favorite cut of beef! see here for pricing. we were told to email our order and then let them know which farmer's market we'd like to pick up from to ensure we get what we want.

eric and i have been trying to buy local as much as possible when it comes to our groceries. we're even thinking about subscribing to a CSA.

we would have taken pics, esp of the cute lil chicks that just hatched and the cute lil kids that were squealing adoringly at them. but as you can guess, we were too busy stuffing our faces. eric found it absolutely hilarious that each of the goats, pigs and cows had signs indicating what companies bought them. one pig was bought by alan wong's restaurant and at least one cow was purchased by wong's meat market . i couldn't help but giggle at the fact there was an unused grill standing like a sentinel next to all the cattle.

just wondering whether our fellow HTers are giving much thought to eating produce/goods from local businesses. so are you a locavore or do you try to be?
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: hfb 2009 farm fair @ bishop museum...are you a locavore?

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    eric and i have been trying to buy local as much as possible when it comes to our groceries. we're even thinking about subscribing to a CSA.
    I've been considering it, too. The one I'm looking at has a dropoff at Ward Warehouse and a bi-weekly option, which might work better for me at first, living alone and cooking only for myself as I do. I know lavagal subscribes to a service like that (with a pickup in Hawaii Kai, I think). Does anyone else have experience with local CSAs?

I love love love love the Farm Fair, especially the sheep, but the thought of going to one now brings back memories that are equally wonderful and painful, so I haven't gone for a while even though I live right up the street from its current location.

As for being a locavore, I don't think I can do it. There are too many things I enjoy that just haven't developed here to my satisfaction (such as beer and wine) and even if they did, a market this size could never support the kind of variety I like. However, I do make a point of buying only local eggs, 'though I confess that's more for freshness than for any kind of loyalty.
    Last edited by scrivener; July 20, 2009, 04:54 AM. Reason: "my blood runs cold..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: hfb 2009 farm fair at the bishop museum, are you a locavore?

Developing relationships with the people who grow your food is very important. We know most of the people who sell at the KCC market and
      shop there every Saturday getting as much of our weekly food there as possible. We pretty much don't eat produce that isn't from here. That new dairy has some great feta cheese which I bought earlier this month. Even our dogs enjoy the NS beef. While we didn't go to the fair due to the crowds and if like last year no parking to be found anywhere I think it's a great way for people to become aware of our agriculture and the products made right here in Hawaii.

Comment

Re: hfb 2009 farm fair at the bishop museum...are you a locavore?

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
        Even our dogs enjoy the NS beef. While we didn't go to the fair due to the crowds and if like last year no parking to be found anywhere I think it's a great way for people to become aware of our agriculture and the products made right here in Hawaii.
        daaaaaaaayum! dem be some lucky dawgs!

parking was okay. took us one round before we found a space at the grade school across the way. my cousin lives in the neighborhood and i would have preferred to park there. if my MINI were sized more like the original Mini, it could have fit in the driveway. ah well.

anyway, the naked cow sweet cream butter was so creamy and sweet (hey! truth in advertising!), i know i could have happily eaten a spoonful of it, plain. can't do that with plain ole land o'lakes, that's for sure!
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: Are you a locavore?

[...]we were able to try butters from naked cow dairy, which is located in waianae [...]
          Were you able to sample the honey/macadamia nut butter? 'Tis wonderful.
          shout out to tutusue: north shore cattle has your favorite cut of beef! see here for pricing. we were told to email our order and then let them know which farmer's market we'd like to pick up from to ensure we get what we want.[...]
          Oooooh...thanks for the heads up on that. While the price is a bit high it'll be worth it as a treat and to support a local business.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Were you able to sample the honey/macadamia nut butter? 'Tis wonderful.

Oooooh...thanks for the heads up on that. While the price is a bit high it'll be worth it as a treat and to support a local business.
            I tried all of their butters and some cheese at the Lodging & Hospitality expo a couple weeks ago. Those butters are killer! The cheese in the jar with the herbs and olive oil was $10.00 but I think money well spent to support a new business and a farmer!

The NS Cattle Co. sausages are really good too we mix the andouille with ground beef for an amazing burger with lots of caramelized onions and gorgonzola. They do nice gift boxes as well which we've given during the holidays to great results!

Comment

yes, we tried the honey mac butter as well as a third one that i can't recall,if only bcs the tastiness of the plain was so impressive.

we got to try the sausages, too. great quality--lovely flavor with a good, non-gristly texture.

now i need to run to the on-campus caf. i'm hungry and woke up too late to pack lunch! =( am quite sure nothing at the caf will be as remarkable as what was available at the farm fair.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                [...]The cheese in the jar with the herbs and olive oil was $10.00 but I think money well spent to support a new business and a farmer!
                Yum...I'll have to try that. It sounds like it would make a nice hostess gift.
                The NS Cattle Co. sausages are really good too we mix the andouille with ground beef for an amazing burger with lots of caramelized onions and gorgonzola.[...]
                OMG...this sounds outrageously good!
                [...]we got to try the sausages, too. great quality--lovely flavor with a good, non-gristly texture.[...]
                Are the casings chewy or tender...or must they be removed? I've been buying Amylu gourmet sausages at Costco because of the casings they use. Well, that, and they're delicious! Safeway has some wonderful gourmet sausages (can't remember the brand) but the casings are too tough and I'm too lazy to remove 'em!

Comment

Are the casings chewy or tender...or must they be removed? I've been buying Amylu gourmet sausages at Costco because of the casings they use. Well, that, and they're delicious! Safeway has some wonderful gourmet sausages (can't remember the brand) but the casings are too tough and I'm too lazy to remove 'em!
                  the sausage samples had been sliced before cooking, unfortunately, so any answer i give wouldn't be reliable.

Comment

The casings are incidental to the sausage. They are neither tough, rubbery or
                    yucky in any way. When I first bought them I tried to "skin" them but it was
                    very hard to get the case off and I find that you don't really notice it which is a good thing because bad casings drive me nuts!

You can come to my house anytime!! The cheese was great the other night mixed in with orzo and olive tapenade as a side with Greek style lemon chicken.

Comment

Not noticing the casing is exactly what I want! Once I'm close to using up the 26 Amylu sausages that are currently in my freezer, I will definitely try those from the NS Cattle Co. Oh wait...is that the company that offers pineapple sausage? If so, delish!

Since I use little butter I'm gonna treat myself to Naked Cow's exclusively. Plus, that business is in my neck 'o the woods so I want to support them. I hope to get to the KCC farmers market this Sat. to buy the cheese and taste the sausage.

We need to stop talking food, leash. You're killin' me! You, too, cyn! And I'm not even into cooking!

Comment

Kanu Hawaii is organizing an "Eat Local" campaign from Aug. 8-15, which challenges participants to consume only locally grown or produced food items during the week.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...-for-Aug.-8-15
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X