Departures ("Okuribito")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departures ("Okuribito")

Departures (Okuribito) is a Japanese film with English subtitles, currently showing at Consolidated's Kahala & Kapolei Theatres.

The movie was originally scheduled to end its run on July 23, but may be extended (at Kahala) due to the strong response it has been getting, strictly from word of mouth! Three different people had recommended Departures (Okuribito) to me over the past week... and I finally got to see it last night.

I highly recommend it - two thumbs up!!!

Among the many awards this film has won are:
    • 2009 Academy Award (Oscar) for Best Foreign Language Film, Feb. 2009
    • "Audience Award - Best Narrative Feature," Palm Springs International Film Festival, Jan. 2009
    • "Audience Award - Favorite Feature Film," Hawaii International Film Festival (HIFF), Oct. 2008

Departures also won awards in 10 of its 13 nominated categories at Japan's main national film awards in Feb. 2009, including: Best Film; Best Director; Best Actor; Best Supporting Actor; Best Supporting Actress; Best Cinematography; Best Editing; and Best Screenplay.

Plot Summary posted at IMDb:
    Daigo Kobayashi (Masahiro Motoki) is a devoted cellist in an orchestra that has just been dissolved and now finds himself without a job. Daigo decides to move back to his old hometown with his wife to look for work and start over. He answers a classified ad entitled "Departures" thinking it is an advertisement for a travel agency only to discover that the job is actually for a "Nokanshi" or "encoffineer," a funeral professional who prepares deceased bodies for burial and entry into the next life. While his wife and others despise the job, Daigo takes a certain pride in his work and begins to perfect the art of "Nokanshi," acting as a gentle gatekeeper between life and death, between the departed and the family of the departed. The film follows his profound and sometimes comical journey with death as he uncovers the wonder, joy and meaning of life and living.

View the trailer at IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3378250521/

More info at IMDb: Departures (Okuribito)

If you like great films, do yourself a favor and go see THIS one!
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Re: Departures ("Okuribito&quot

I LOVED this movie too!
    Not many movies are able to make you laugh AND cry out loud while feeling immensely uplifted.

After the movie, I went to the ladies room to check on my mascara. Everyone in there had red eyes from crying so much!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

This movie is both funny and at the same time somber, realy enjoyed it. The "cleansing" is different from what our family did back in the '50's when my paternal grandfather passed on.

Comment

yup, great movie. that early scene where the guy tries it for the first time was hilarious! (keeping it vague; don't wanna ruin it for anyone who hasn't see it yet.)

the ending was predictable and yet that didn't disappoint...
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

*bump*

Just watched it on DVD tonight, on the recommendation/insistence of my co-worker. We watch so few films, this was a rarity.

Absolutely charming movie.

Comment

Working...
            X