Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time do you spend with tv each day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time do you spend with tv each day?

Ryan said, in another thread: "your level of exposure to TV."

Absolute minimum.

But I was once a major television addict, watched "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" every afternoon, saw every episode of "Dallas", "Dynasty" and "Falconcrest".

Now I only see television if I am sitting in a bar which has the things going. (I remember, with considerable horror, sitting at Duke's in Waikiki when the tv told me that Princess Diana was dead.) Haven't been back to Duke's since then.

So how many hours do you spend watching tv?

Re: How much time do you spend with tv each day?

Originally posted by Albert
    Haven't been back to Duke's since then.

So how many hours do you spend watching tv?
    Wait. You're blaming Duke's for Princess Diana's death? Stop the Presses! A new conspiracy theory erupts in Honolulu!

Actually watching, probably about 3 hours. 5:00pm-7:30pm news, then 10:00pm news.

Radio, on the other hand...from wake-up to 5:00pm.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I watch a minimum of television, because I have internet! Now, wanna discuss how much internet we do, and I will grin really big while admitting that I do as much as I can, realistically. I get two and three hours of internet per day, when I can. That includes email, newspapers online, drudgereport.com and Worldnetdaily.com, plus forums like this.

Tv is excellent for news & weather. The channels Discovery owns are great for watching those dudes build custom cars and bikes, plus the science channels are so much more interesting than any science teacher I had in public school in the sixties and seventies.

I luv Comedy! Next Thursday evening at 7:30 PM, I think it is, on whatever channel, oh, WB it is called, that is number 5 on our local cable guide has a hilarious show premiering called, "Blue Collar Comedy." I expect it to be a riot, as the movie was.

My computer monitors are like tv's that talk back to me, and email is the greatest invention since the toothpick, luv it! If I had the time, I could almost become addicted to the internet, but of course am not.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I like to think of myself more of an "information junkie," or at least, a "stimulation junkie." I used to revel in 800 channels of ridiculousness, from the Basketweaving Network to the Left-Handed Lego Builders Channel. Of course, with the advent of the internet, the ability to fill my brain with both useful and useless information only increased. I definitely think TV lost eyeballs to the web... but that's not to say TV doesn't have its draw.

As I never fail to mention in conversation, my family is a TiVo family, which basically lets us handle our television addiction strategically. We can gorge ourselves on our schedule, whether it's six straight hours of Airlineor a grand tour of all seventeen (or so) Law & Order franchises in a single evening. Rather than flipping around and hopingfor something good, it's all good. So the number of hours we spend on television has gone down, even though the number of specific shows we take in has gone up.

Each day? Honestly, sometimes only the first five minutes of the evening news, but sometimes three episodes of a favorite show. So how many hours is that per week? Since TV comes only after the kids are in bed, the house is picked up, the websites are checked in on, and the freelance work caught up on, my wife and I see maybe 7.5 to 10 hours a week... often much less than that, though.

More than is probably healthy (I have friends who intentionally don't even owna TV), but not too much. Um... right?

I definitely spend more than that per day online (though it's job related most of the time... really!), and like Link have NPR on from dawn to dusk.

Comment

For me it varies, anywhere from 3 hours on weekday to about 8 hours on the weekend. And it is usally on as background noise around the home. But it's off when I sleep or when I am away for a long period of time from the home.

Comment

Helen said:

"But it's off when I sleep"

Well done, Helen! I have one friend who leaves the thing on all night.

Comment

I have one friend who leaves the thing on all night.
              You must be talking about my husband's brother...lol

hay, I would think that being infront of the computer monitor
              has the same affect as being infront of the t.v.?

If not, how much of a difference/similarity is there?.
              Aches & Pains
              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Hi Serenity!

I see a big difference between the monitor, and the tv. The tv has us at the mercy of the programmers, while the monitor is something we control what comes on our screen, and we can truly interact with the monitor, while the tv is a one-way experience, generally speaking.

This monitor is so much more versatile than any tv, except for those that have web-tv. We can shop from this, use mail and hear back from people in such a timely manner, research anything, from medical issues to decorating ideas. These monitors bring us a world of useful knowledge, plus comedy or anything we want/need out of life. I see no reason to ever buy another cookbook, and can go to school in front of one of these things, saving all the time in traffic, and get an education that is accredited anywhere in the world.

These montors have a lot more of my respect than the "boob tubes" in my house, and I can say that while not denying there's some great channels on cable, quality stuff.
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Including the news...around 3 hours a day. Now that AI isn't running I watch a lot less. Internet browsing is more interesting...browse the Hawaii Threads and a few more...get tips on all sorts of things...but don't get addicted to ebay!
                  Retired Senior Member

Comment

I have one friend who leaves the thing on all night.
                    Hey, me too. In fact his girlfriend says that if she turns the TV off in the middle of the night, he wakes up because it's too quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      Hey, me too. In fact his girlfriend says that if she turns the TV off in the middle of the night, he wakes up because it's too quiet.
                      hay....
                      want to know what's weird?
                      My husband's brother, says the same thing, to.
                      Maybe, they might get along as friends?
                      Aches & Pains

Comment

WoW!.
                        People here are so nice...
                        I just ask a simple question...
                        I get a whole lot of answers.
                        Thanks gang.
                        Aches & Pains

Comment

I kind of noticed that my TV viewing habits have changed these last couple of years.

The most profound is that the only time I actually go out of my way to watch a TV series is on Saturday night during H&I's War Heroes block of programming.

There are few times when I do turn on the TV for background noise. I do notice that I tend to watch stuff on the computer either thru iTunes or HBO Max.

Comment

Working...
                          X