Saying "I approve of this ad" in commericals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying "I approve of this ad" in commericals

This thread is about the practice of saying "I approve of this ad" in commericals.
    Last edited by helen; July 23, 2009, 04:05 PM.

Re: City Council special election for District 5

I'm not in the district, but I'm rooting for anyone but Matt Matsunaga and Nathaniel Kinney because they both include the "and I approved this message" at the end of their TV commercials. Seriously. I just can't get over the...ignorance? Egotism? Whatever. It's a stupid thing to say and I have no confidence in people who say it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I agree that it sounds pretty lame, but I believe there are some election laws that require the disclaimer? I'm not totally sure - maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm. I have to chuckle at McKinneys ad disclaimer though - when he says "mom, I owe you one".
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Yes. It's required by law for national offices, such as the presidency or congress. It's a stupid law even for those offices, but at least you can't blame the candidates who do it: they have to.

The law is in place so voters know when a malicious ad was paid for by some third party. In cases where the candidate is speaking right to the camera (or in Kinney's case, where his MOM is doing the voice-over) it doesn't make sense to then say "I approved this message," which is grammatically suspect at best. I agree: Kinney's little "I owe you one" tag is cute and endearing. I wish he'd lay off the stupid "I approved this message" crap. So dumb.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Yes. It's required by law for national offices, such as the presidency or congress. It's a stupid law even for those offices, but at least you can't blame the candidates who do it: they have to.

The law is in place so voters know when a malicious ad was paid for by some third party. In cases where the candidate is speaking right to the camera (or in Kinney's case, where his MOM is doing the voice-over) it doesn't make sense to then say "I approved this message," which is grammatically suspect at best. I agree: Kinney's little "I owe you one" tag is cute and endearing. I wish he'd lay off the stupid "I approved this message" crap. So dumb.
          I think we talked about this before.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...0&postcount=47

As long as 527 groups are allowed to use audio/video footage of a candidate and take quotes out of context..... as long as those groups are allowed to use sound-alike voice actors to misrepresent the views of candidates, the simple "I approve this message" helps to seperate a candidate's commercial from a deceptive smear ad.

Folks can complain about it all they want. But with campaigns getting increasingly dirtier and deceitful at the state/local level, the "I approve this message" tag is going to become more prevalent as time goes on.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market
            Folks can complain about it all they want. But with campaigns getting increasingly dirtier and deceitful at the state/local level, the "I approve this message" tag is going to become more prevalent as time goes on.
            Have you seen the Kinney and Matsunaga commercials? It is COMPLETELY unnecessary for either candidate to affirm that he "approves this message." Completely. And the way politics at the county level works in this city, any of the examples of negative campaigning you cite would probably be political death (which in this state lasts maybe ten years, or twenty if you're Mufi) for the guilty party. So the question remains: in the absence of necessity, what reason do these candidates have for providing this affirmation? The only answers I can come up with tell me not to vote for either of them.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              And if you're automatically not going to vote for any candidate for using that disclaimer, then I guess you'll be voting for some candidate that is too poor to run any commercials.
              That's usually what ends up happening.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                I wish he'd lay off the stupid "I approved this message" crap.
                I approved this massage,

Comment

i massaged for approval.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I improved this missive!

Comment

Re: Saying "I approve of this ad" in commericals

They're just practicin' for the big leagues.

Comment

Re: Saying "I approve of this ad" in commericals

Mega Dittos.
                        You are correct, sir!
                        Co-sign.
                        and Sampling from Hit Songs.
                        Does anyone of these take more creative effort than "I approve this message?"

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          but I believe there are some election laws that require the disclaimer?".
                          You are correct. Matapule had to become very familiar with the laws on this subject in his capacity as a "community organizer" as far back as the 1970's. It is a complex set of laws including the FCC.

The media, (newspaper, television, & radio) are required to give their lowest rate from their rate cards to bonafide political campaign ads if the candidate participates personally in the ad. A tag line at the end of the ad is sufficient to qualify as personal participation. The tag line morphed into the ubiquitous, "I'm King Kamehameha, and I approved this message." as a way to meet several requirements established by various laws.

Media rate cards are based prmarily on advertising volume per month. The political campaign ads requirement is a good one, otherwise the candidate with with more campaign funds could purchase a greater number of media buys per month and get a lower rate than a candidate operating on a shoestring.

Matapule is an appointment for life so he does not have to approve this message.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                          X