The Polynesian Cultural Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Polynesian Cultural Center

Hi. A friend asked me about the Polynesian Cultural Center, all I know is that it is one of the biggest draws in the Islands, maybe the biggest, but never having been there I had nothing to say about it. I have heard that it presents an artificial version of what the pre-contact civilization was like. So, if you happen to know, what would you say are the strong points and the weak points of the Polynesian Cultural Center? Would my friend, planning her first visit to the Islands, be well advised to go or not? Would she be better advised to go to the Bishop Museum, or do you have other suggestions? Thanks.

Re: The Polynesian Cultural Center

I've been to PCC so many times over the years, couldn't even tell ya how many.
    I really enjoy it and for someone who doesn't know much about Hawai'i or the rest of Polynesia... it's a should do. If they can stay for the evening dinner/show... even better. Yes, it's artificial, but then again how else could one go to all those different places in a day? http://www.polynesia.com/

The Bishop Museum's main attraction... Hawaiian Hall will re-open from renovations August 8th I believe. It's incredible how beautiful and well done it is. Gotta go! http://www.bishopmuseum.org/
    Last edited by Menehune Man; July 25, 2009, 07:42 AM.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When I first visited PCC in 1993 I was pregnant with my first child. I remember dreaming of the day I saw my baby girl on that stage dancing and wondering which one of the dancers she would look like.

As far as the village's it was nice to see the side entertainers weaving hats and mats and the IMAX theater was probably my favorite.

For someone who has no knowledge of the island and maybe no relatives who live the old way this is the best introduction to the islands.

As previously posted I too have been there so many times it is kind of what ever now but when visitors come through it is a must!
      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        Would my friend, planning her first visit to the Islands, be well advised to go or not? Would she be better advised to go to the Bishop Museum, or do you have other suggestions? Thanks.
        It is like comparing apples and oranges, yes both are fruit but they are very different. If your friend has the time, I'd recommend they visit both the PCC & the museum. But if time is short, then let their location decide ..... windward side, do PCC. Town, do the museum.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Matapule and uaifi have been to PCC about 6 times since our first visit in 1967. In our opinion, it is a glamourized version of old polynesia. Sort of like remembering all the good stuff and forgetting about the bad. A lot of the events are pretty corny and have no relevance to the polynesian culture, ever. Having lived in Tonga and visited Samoa and Fiji before they were modernized, we would say that PCC is about 50% authentic to the old ways.

However, having said that, we always enjoy our visits there and get the urge to return every few years. We always recommend it to friends and acquaintances who have never been and we've never had anyone say they didn't enjoy the experience.

So matapule's advice is to go to both PCC and Bishop Museum, each a wonderful experience.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I've heard it described as "the human zoo." Yet, it is a good opportunity for malihini to learn something about the various cultures, even if superficially. Knowing that it is Mormon-run doesn't really bother me, either.

I've only gone once, which was enough for me. I'd recommend a visit, if just one time.

And I got pulled up on-stage to play with the Tongan drummers - which was a lot of fun. I have a photo of the three big/beefy drummers smiling and showing shaka, with little/white me squeezed in-between.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              I have a photo of the three big/beefy drummers smiling and showing shaka,.
              Leo, that is part of the PCC tu'u mama'o. The shaka is unknown in Tonga.

However, the "lali" (tree trunk drum) is very much part of the culture and matapule heard it frequently to call villagers to prayer, meetings, or for dance rhythm (with guitar, the ukulele was generally not an accompanyment).

Matapule has been on that same stage once or twice too. I was able to beat out a rhythm for a matapule meeting and the Tongans nearly died laughing.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

matapule, that's funny! I would love to have seen that, but of course I would not have known what I was listening to.

We have walked the grounds, but not seen the villages or the shows. One of some things yet to be done.

Comment

All of my visitors go to PCC - usually with me as their tour guide! I have an annual pass and feel like I am there every week. It's a must-see destination - as well as a visit to the Kahuku Shrimp Trucks while you're in the area.

For locals, PCC is celebrating 50 years of statehood by offering the Kamaaina Annual Pass at 50% off - a $20 savings! For just $20, you can go all year - including the special events they have such as the Maori competition (Aug 8 hint, hint), the fireknife dancing competition, the hula competition, the tahitian competition and the new events they started last year for Halloween and Christmas. With the annual pass, it's also free to park (a saving of $6) so it's worth it if you plan to go even once!

The 'Horizons' Night Show that they have been performing for the past FOURTEEN years has just been replaced by a brand new, $3 million extravaganza called "Ha: The Breath of Life." I have a lot of friends who work at PCC including dancers in the new show who have been working hard on it for the past three years. It doesn't officially debut until August 14 but they had the soft opening last week and by all accounts, it's worth making the trip out to see it.

I love to set up my visitors by volunteering one of them (the shyest) to go up on stage at the Tongan village. It always ends up being a highlight of their day!
                  Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                  My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    I've been to PCC so many times over the years, couldn't even tell ya how many.
                    I really enjoy it and for someone who doesn't know much about Hawai'i or the rest of Polynesia... it's a should do. If they can stay for the evening dinner/show... even better. Yes, it's artificial, but then again how else could one go to all those different places in a day? http://www.polynesia.com/

The Bishop Museum's main attraction... Hawaiian Hall will re-open from renovations August 8th I believe. It's incredible how beautiful and well done it is. Gotta go! http://www.bishopmuseum.org/
                    I can't wait to see the Hawaiian hall again! I went one time with Glenn Grant at night and we were befriended by the famous ghost there, she was friendly and left an amazingly beautiful floral scent in her wake.

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies, that was very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                      X