Tiny Bubbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Bubbles

I had dreams of adequacy where music was concerned, so I wandered down to the International Market and bought a Ukulele. The Chinese lady told me it was of the best Koa ? wood. I also bought several disks and sheet music.
    Painstakinlgy, she taught me to play 'Tiny Bubbles.' This became my Uke party piece back in England. I have since added to my repetoire but there has never been a queue outside my door,,,, asking "Barry ! will you teach us the Ukulele ?"

Just for my own pleasure boys and girls.
    Last edited by Barry; July 26, 2009, 04:46 AM.

Re: Tiny Bubbles

Cute story. I was going to type this in response to your July 4 post, but restrained myself because I wasn't sure how it would be taken. However, I'll suggest it now: have you ever considered getting your own blogspace? A personal blog is perfect for these little personal vignettes. Think about it.

"Tiny Bubbles" is a silly, silly song, but now when I hear it, I think of an interview I read with Hoku Ho. She said she asked her father if he ever got tired of singing that song, and his response was, "That would be like getting tired of money." Brilliant. I understand Don used to sing it TWICE in each show.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Maybe that's my problem; I rarely get paid to play that song - so no wonder I dislike it. But folks sure do expect it from people playing "Hawaiian" music, so I gotta do it.

For every "Tiny Bubbles" or "Pearly Shells" I play for them, I can give 'em an "Ipo Lei Momi" or "Ku`u Hoa" as well.

But not "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (IZ style); I can't do it justice.

Comment

"Tiny Bubbles" was Don Ho's biggest hit ever as it hit the Billboard charts peaking at #8 in April of 1966. He was on the Reprise label and 3 or 4 of his albums were distributed nationwide. He was well known in Hawaii, the mainland and the world over... so it is no wonder that whenever people came to Hawaii to see him, "Tiny Bubbles" was on top of the list as most wanted song to be heard. Even 40 years after its release.

Time-Warner/Reprise know the value of that record as they are still the issuers of that song on a couple of Don Ho compilations. I believe Ho recorded the song again later, but no version compares to the 1966 original.

I remember when we were kids learning how to play the ukelele, that song was taught, even though it was about well, an adult drink..

Of course many of Don Ho's songs from the Reprise records era were popular in Hawaii; "I'll Remember You", "Suck em Up" (another drinking song), "E Lei Ka Lei Lei," "Lahaina Luna," "I Am Hawaii", "Pearly Shells", "One Paddle, Two Paddle," etc, etc. These got a lot of radio and jukebox airplay back in the day and pretty much crossed over into the mainstream because the lyrics are mainly in English... and that is always a good thing if you want to sell plenty of records all over the world.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          "Tiny Bubbles" was Don Ho's biggest hit ever as it hit the Billboard charts peaking at #8 in April of 1966. He was on the Reprise label and 3 or 4 of his albums were distributed nationwide. He was well known in Hawaii, the mainland and the world over... so it is no wonder that whenever people came to Hawaii to see him, "Tiny Bubbles" was on top of the list as most wanted song to be heard. Even 40 years after its release.
          Tiny Bubbles was such a big hit for Don that it nearly overshadowed his other work and rendered him as a one-hit wonder to the Top 40 crowd. Of course, his loyal fanbase (both here and spread throughout the world) are familiar with the other gems in his catalogue.

After Tiny Bubbles, Don was best known for being Hawaii's musical ambassador with his numerous 1960s & '70s TV appearances. His critics may have regarded him as little more than a lounge lizard in a Polynesian setting, but those same critics should ask themselves why his show was a top drawer in Waikiki for over 40 years. It was more than the music and the nostalgia that kept his fans coming back, year after year. I may get some arguments here, but IMO, his greatest asset was his unique personal charm and charisma that his legion of admirers just couldn't get enough of.

I remember when we were kids learning how to play the ukelele, that song was taught, even though it was about well, an adult drink..
          I don't recall anyone really making a fuss about the subject matter of Tiny Bubbles. Remember. This was the same guy who would later record Who Is The Lolo Who Stole My Pakalolo. The latter was a lot more risque, especially to the local crowd.

Of course many of Don Ho's songs from the Reprise records era were popular in Hawaii; "I'll Remember You", "Suck em Up" (another drinking song), "E Lei Ka Lei Lei," "Lahaina Luna," "I Am Hawaii", "Pearly Shells", "One Paddle, Two Paddle," etc, etc. These got a lot of radio and jukebox airplay back in the day and pretty much crossed over into the mainstream because the lyrics are mainly in English... and that is always a good thing if you want to sell plenty of records all over the world.
          Perhaps his most interesting "crossover" peformance was his recording of Peter Gabriel's Shock The Monkey, which appeared a few years ago on the When Pigs Fly CD compilation. Somebody uploaded the music video to that song on YouTube. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5WOAxu28C0
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Would this song be politically correct in this time of MADD? Whatever happened to the drunk comedian on the celebrity roasts? His career ended after MADD started.

Comment

Foster Brooks? If so, he passed away in 2001.

Comment

Sure, I know he had passed away long. before I got to Hawaii There was a music shop and I think it called 'longs' and they had a lot of Ukulele music there.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

Perhaps his most interesting "crossover" peformance was his recording of Peter Gabriel's Shock The Monkey, which appeared a few years ago on the When Pigs Fly CD compilation. Somebody uploaded the music video to that song on YouTube. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5WOAxu28C0
                  Definitely remember that one. As I vaguely recall the video was premiered on the Hawaiian Moving Company show with Michael W. Perry. I have the song... bought it some years ago from iTunes. I think I brought this one up in another thread.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

How about that terrible movie with all the kakaroaches?

Comment

That would be "Joe's Apartment". I think Don Ho played either the landlord or some kind of hood. And the cockroaches sang. I have this goofy movie on DVD. Stars the guy who used to be in the TV show Sliders and thousands of computer generated roaches.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I brought this up in the Don Ho condolence thread, and I bring it up now. Can anybody explain to me WHY IN THE WORLD is the man not in the Hawaiian Music Hall Of Fame? Is it politics? Does somebody on the selection committee have a personal vendetta against Don Ho? I don't understand it.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

That would be "Joe's Apartment". I think Don Ho played either the landlord or some kind of hood. And the cockroaches sang. I have this goofy movie on DVD. Stars the guy who used to be in the TV show Sliders and thousands of computer generated roaches.
                          I thought I was going to watch a when bugs attack movie. Instead, this movie seemed like it was written and directed by stoners.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            I brought this up in the Don Ho condolence thread, and I bring it up now. Can anybody explain to me WHY IN THE WORLD is the man not in the Hawaiian Music Hall Of Fame? Is it politics? Does somebody on the selection committee have a personal vendetta against Don Ho? I don't understand it.
                            I would guess that it is because they are mostly going for historical composers and performers first, though they have inducted folks like Peter Moon and The Brothers Cazimero only within the last couple of years. It may also be that they are focusing attention on performers and composers whose primary work was in the Hawaiian language.

But here's the official word from the HoF folks themselves:

Each year, the Advisory Board chooses several gifted ones to be honored who have been instrumental in creating and perpetuating Hawai`i's unique musical "voice". Some have created a sea change in music style; some have composed songs that express the essence of aloha. Others, over more than a century of our Islands' history, have tuned the ears of the world to Hawaiian music through incomparable vocalization and instrumental performance.

"We still have a long list to go," says the Advisory Board chairman, Kahauanu Lake, adding "this is not a popularity contest, but rather an historical journey through Hawai`i's rich culture of music and its influence on our Islands' history."

The criteria for selection of musical artists to be inducted into the Hall of Fame is strict:
                            1. Continuing popularity of musical contributions
                            2. Impact on the development and recognition of Hawaiian music
                            3. Global influence on musical composition and performance
                            4. Years of service in promoting and perpetuating Hawai`i's musical culture
                            5. Origination of a style or form.

"People ask 'why isn't so-and-so in the Hall of Fame?'", Mr. K comments. " I tell them ho`omanawanui - be patient."

One could certainly make the case that Don Ho fits these guidelines - but the same could be argued for dozens of others who are still not yet in the Hall.

Comment

http://khon2.com/2016/01/04/uh-west-...ho-collection/

Make me happy (make me happy)
                              Make me feel fine (make me feel fine)

Comment

Working...
                              X