HD UH Football Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD UH Football Games?

Does anyone know whether or not the upcoming UH Football games will be broadcast in HD? It seems rather pathetic that we can get local highschool football games in HD but not the UH games.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by 2k-tl; July 29, 2009, 06:08 PM.

Re: HD UH Football Games?

Originally posted by 2k-tl View Post
    Does anyone know whether or not the upcoming UH Football games will be broadcast in HD? It seems rather pathetic that we can get local highschool football games in HD but not the UH games.
    Thanks!
    Meh.

Until KFVE can run at high power in Maui County and neighbor islands (sorry no can catch in Molokai OTA), no make sense in them buying HD broadcasting equipment ... only Oceanic can (I've yet to watch a local high school football game OTA, not cable).

OTA = Over The Air/Antenna.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Meh.

Until KFVE can run at high power in Maui County and neighbor islands (sorry no can catch in Molokai OTA), no make sense in them buying HD broadcasting equipment ... only Oceanic can (I've yet to watch a local high school football game OTA, not cable).

OTA = Over The Air/Antenna.
      That’s an interesting perspective, but I doubt Maui has anything to do with KFVE/KHNL’s high definition (HD) capabilities. They key, or “missing piece” as the cliché goes, is an HD satellite truck. Namely the one KHNL/KFVE doesn’t have.

Just three years ago, KHNL/KFVE wasn’t broadcasting in HD. But that all changed with the digital mandate. Actual HD programming is optional for stations, but having the capability to broadcast in HD has actually been mandatory under the digital conversion law.

Take a look at KHNL/KFVE’s newscasts. The in-studio shots are at least 720p HD. This means Oceanic Cable is receiving an HD signal from KHNL. But, unfortunately, UH football games aren’t played in the KHNL studio. They’re played at Aloha Stadium. So, as I said earlier, KHNL/KFVE will NOT be able to exercise the option of broadcasting UH football games in HD until they upgrade to an HD sat truck. This truck will give them the ability to transmit an HD signal from Halawa to their Sand Island station, which theoretically, they can then broadcast OTA (assuming they have the HD field cameras to shoot the games with).

With the economy the way it is, I wouldn’t hold your breath.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        That’s an interesting perspective, but I doubt Maui has anything to do with KFVE/KHNL’s high definition (HD) capabilities. They key, or “missing piece” as the cliché goes, is an HD satellite truck. Namely the one KHNL/KFVE doesn’t have.
        Who have one?

Comment

Perhaps you missed this announcement;

"If all goes as planned, the entire home schedule for the University of Hawaii pay-per-view sports broadcasts this year will be offered in high-definition.

Oceanic Time Warner Cable, KFVE and UH are near agreement on a deal to upgrade to HD all home games on the pay-per-view schedule, Oceanic vice president Norman Santos said yesterday. The pay-per-view events again include football, women's volleyball and men's basketball games."

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2...ng_for_UH.html

Comment

Thanks all. Media Guy, I didn't see that and it answers the question (somewhat) as to what's the status. But... that was back in July 7th... I wonder what's the latest.

Comment

There are a few more details to be worked out, but it's looking good for HD in the fall!

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                There are a few more details to be worked out, but it's looking good for HD in the fall!
                If you pay. Hmph.

Comment

If you pay. Hmph.
                  Big-time college sports is a business. It's all about making money.

The average salary for an NCAA Div. I football head coach is $1 million dollars. Where do you think that moola comes from?
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Big-time college sports is a business. It's all about making money.

The average salary for an NCAA Div. I football head coach is $1 million dollars. Where do you think that moola comes from?
                    Stadium ticket sales.

Comment

Stadium ticket sales.
                      Ticket sales is just a small part.
                      K5 & Oceanic Cable pay UH over $2 million annually for TV boradcast rights. UH makes over another $1.5 Million from its share of pay-per-view revenue.
                      In order to do the broadcast, Oceanic has to bring in a $11 million HD production truck. Its is big business!

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                        Ticket sales is just a small part.
                        K5 & Oceanic Cable pay UH over $2 million annually for TV boradcast rights. UH makes over another $1.5 Million from its share of pay-per-view revenue.
                        In order to do the broadcast, Oceanic has to bring in a $11 million HD production truck. Its is big business!
                        NEP was going to convert it's truck in Hawaii to HD anyway to cover the national sports broadcast in HD for ESPN. What's funny is that UH may now be the only client.
                        Mercedes Championship...GONE!
                        Hula Bowl...GONE!
                        Senior Skins....GONE!
                        Pro Bowl...Gone!...Sorta

Pretty much left with (2nd Tier) Sony Open, (2nd Tier)Hawaii Bowl and Maui Classic.
                        Not much bang for the $24mil it cost NEP to convert the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                          Mercedes Championship...GONE!
                          Back in May, Seoul Broadcasting System announced a 10-year agreement to become title sponsor of the PGA Tour's season-opening tournament in Kapalua. It's scheduled for Monday Jan 4 – Sunday Jan 10, 2010. I guess it will be the "SBS Championship".

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                            Back in May, Seoul Broadcasting System announced a 10-year agreement to become title sponsor of the PGA Tour's season-opening tournament in Kapalua. It's scheduled for Monday Jan 4 – Sunday Jan 10, 2010. I guess it will be the "SBS Championship".
                            Any chance, SBS will invest in KBFD's OTA transmission for Maui County?

I kinda sorta miss Korean Drama [subtitled].

Comment

NEP already coverted its truck, and it was used all last year for OC16 sports broadcasts. Its also doing it again for the foreseeable future, as all sports broadcast on OC16 are in HD.
                              NEP's truck (ND2 HD) couldn't do the UH games because of overlapping dates, and there are only 11-15 UH HD pay-per-view dates versus 40+ OC16 dates. The conversion cost was $10 million.

Sorry Random, but I doubt any stations are going to invest in improving OTA.
                              Less than 5% of Hawaii's viewing audience watches OTA. It's just not economincally feesable to invest that in much capital expenditures for such a small amount of viewers.

Comment

Working...
                              X