Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I stay on the Mainland
    Posts
    314

    Default Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    It's like soup. But it's really like pig's blood.

    It's not exotic or anything. I had it at Poi Bowl - 15+ years ago.

    What is it call?

    What is really in it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Dinuguan in Tagalog. Dinardaraan in Ilokano.

    It's browned pork (usually belly) stewed in pork blood. Usually there's vinegar (keeps the blood from clotting) and salt. Visayans add an herb (usually I think basil or mint) and use intestines instead of meat.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I stay on the Mainland
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Does the dish have any "benefits" or nutritional value? The friend I had it with eats it often.

    Just wondering?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kalihi
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    No but Mabuhay on River St. makes a ono one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,519

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Dinoguan or Dinuguan Recipe
    http://groups.google.com/group/soc.c...cd70672f?pli=1

    Dinoguan or Dinuguan Recipe
    * ? kilo pork (diced)
    * 1/8 kilo pork liver (diced)
    * 1 small head of garlic (minced)
    * 1 small onion (minced)
    * 2 pieces laurel leaves
    * 3 tablespoons oil
    * ?-cup vinegar
    * 3 tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
    * 2-cups stock
    * 1-cup pig blood (frozen)
    * 4 long green peppers
    * 2 teaspoons sugar
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * ? teaspoon black pepper


    1. In a pot, simmer pork for 30 minutes and remove scum that rises to
    the surface. Keep stock.
    2. In a casserole, heat oil and saute garlic and onion for a minute.
    3. Add in pork, pork liver, laurel leaves, patis, salt & pepper and
    saute for another 5 minutes.
    4. Add in vinegar and bring up to a boil without stirring.
    5. Lower heat and allow simmering uncovered until most ofthe liquid
    has evaporated.
    6. Add in stock and allow simmering for 5 minutes.
    7. Add in blood, sugar and long green peppers.
    8. Cook for 10 m


    10 minutes more or until consistency thickens, stirring occasionally
    to avoid curdling.
    9. Serve hot with puto.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Centered - sides are for suckers
    Posts
    1,527

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
    No but Mabuhay on River St. makes a ono one.
    No? I beg to differ. There is significant nutritional value in this dish, especially for diets deficient in iron, protein or fat.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Dinoguan or Dinuguan Recipe
    http://groups.google.com/group/soc.c...cd70672f?pli=1

    Dinoguan or Dinuguan Recipe
    * ? kilo pork (diced)
    * 1/8 kilo pork liver (diced)
    * 1 small head of garlic (minced)
    * 1 small onion (minced)
    * 2 pieces laurel leaves
    * 3 tablespoons oil
    * ?-cup vinegar
    * 3 tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
    * 2-cups stock
    * 1-cup pig blood (frozen)
    * 4 long green peppers
    * 2 teaspoons sugar
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * ? teaspoon black pepper


    1. In a pot, simmer pork for 30 minutes and remove scum that rises to
    the surface. Keep stock.
    2. In a casserole, heat oil and saute garlic and onion for a minute.
    3. Add in pork, pork liver, laurel leaves, patis, salt & pepper and
    saute for another 5 minutes.
    4. Add in vinegar and bring up to a boil without stirring.
    5. Lower heat and allow simmering uncovered until most ofthe liquid
    has evaporated.
    6. Add in stock and allow simmering for 5 minutes.
    7. Add in blood, sugar and long green peppers.
    8. Cook for 10 m


    10 minutes more or until consistency thickens, stirring occasionally
    to avoid curdling.
    9. Serve hot with puto.

    I've eaten stuff in the Brit Royal Navy that would make a billy goat puke but I would not eat the above.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    I stay on the Mainland
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've eaten stuff in the Brit Royal Navy that would make a billy goat puke but I would not eat the above.
    I was not sure what it was it first. My friend was a bit surprise. After I found out, I had to follow through so I would not look bad.

    It's not too bad when it's warm. It has to be warm. Once it cools down a bit.......You can begin to taste the XXXXXXXXX, like XXXXXX (a feeling hard to describe).

    I could only finish half of the bowl.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Is this possibly the same dish that I've heard jokingly called "chocolate meat"?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Is this possibly the same dish that I've heard jokingly called "chocolate meat"?

    yes, it is. chocolate only in the sense of color and appearance of texture, since it does look a lot like mole dishes. tastes nothing like chocolate, however.

    for anyone who's interested, you can also make this dish using white squash (tabungao) or shishito peppers. a lot of versions i've had were totally veggie-less except for onions and garlic. some people like it soupier; others like it pretty dry <---this pic's version uses karabasa (kabocha pumpkin)....hmm. anyway, i don't care if the dinardaraan is soupy or dry as long as the liver's not overcooked. nothing like gritty liver to ruin a perfectly good dinardaraan.

    as far as i understand it and based on my experiences travelling to the PI, this isn't a typical dish to be found on filipino country home dinner tables. they only make this during party time, bcs most filipinos don't usually have enough money to eat an all-meat dish often. it's a splurge dish served at big parties. (someone chime in if this is not their experience. mike lowery?)

    another side note: it's soooo good over rice, if you add a few splashes of filipino chili vinegar on top. if you don't have sukang sili, then any of the pickled peppers here will have to do.

    and omg, i'm totally drooling as i write this! a curse on my funny tummy today that can't even stomach an apple banana without unhappy results. *cries*

    anyway, the use of animal blood in food is ubiquitous--even among western ethnicities, contrary to what you may believe.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

    "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

    nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Haiku & Iolekaa Valley(s)
    Posts
    1,092

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    She's right. My grandmother made a Polish soup that sounds like the word
    "Chaunina" but I don't know the real spelling. It smelled pretty awful and
    I never ate it but my mom loves it. It uses duck blood.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
    She's right. My grandmother made a Polish soup that sounds like the word
    "Chaunina" but I don't know the real spelling. It smelled pretty awful and
    I never ate it but my mom loves it. It uses duck blood.
    pssst...from the wikipedia article i linked to:

    Polish cuisine has a version czernina, which is enjoyed by many adherents in certain regions.
    this page has a recipe.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

    "when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

    nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
    No but Mabuhay on River St. makes a ono one.
    Cafe Dalisay on Mauna Kea Street makes a better one.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    9,519

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Cafe Dalisay on Mauna Kea Street makes a better one.
    No moa Cafe Dalisay. Closed long time due to grease trap $$$.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lihue
    Posts
    2,117

    Default Re: Filipino Dish - what is it call?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    No moa Cafe Dalisay. Closed long time due to grease trap $$$.
    sad!!!!! that place was like a PI province in the middle of Chinatown.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite


    flickr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •