Anyone take Colloidal Silver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone take Colloidal Silver?

Anyone use it, and can testify of its benefits?

Re: Anyone take Colloidal Silver?

I've not used it but these people have!

Comment

Ha ha, you wise guy.

Next!!

Comment

Wasn't trying to be a wise guy, Bobinator. Just pointing out possible side effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
          Ha ha, you wise guy.
          Next!!
          Tutusue, maybe that's not how he was planning to use it:
          As a result, the use of ionic silver solutions has become popular in cannabis cultivation.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_silver

With all the money to be made in supplements and homeopathics, you'd think someone would have been able to produce a double-blind evidence-based clinical trial by now:
          http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...silver/AN01682
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
            Tutusue, maybe that's not how he was planning to use it:[...]
            I learn something new every day!

Comment

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/30/sil...hs-silver.html

If you don't believe in what the FDA says, then it wouldn't hurt to take it in the right amount.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Wasn't trying to be a wise guy, Bobinator. Just pointing out possible side effects.
                From what I understand, there were only 2 cases known in the world in which that occurred, despite the millions of people that take it. If you notice, that story has been splashed all over the news, as if it were common thing. Yet, it's the only case being shown. A grossly exaggerated story, I'd say.

There are people, including doctors, who drink a quart a day of that stuff for years with no adverse effects. The question that was never asked of this blue smurf-guy is what grade of silver did he use? If he used sterling, then there are other metals, like nickel, copper and tin, that he ingested that would have an adverse effect. The recommended silver purity is .9999, which is 10x more fine than .999 (used for "pure" silver jewelry). Beleive it or not, silver in its pure powder or micron form is really a light brown color.

And no, I do not trust the FDA one iota. Colloidal silver was widely used between 1900 and 1938, and is highly effective against 650 pathogens, none of which can survive its presence for more than 6 minutes. Your average antibiotic is only effective against 12, and that doesn't include viruses. Some of the old timers used to throw a few silver coins in the milk as a preservative.

The FDA is all about the money. You can't make hundreds of $billions on something people can make in their kitchens for 2 cents a glass. That's why the FDA won't endorse herbs. Why do you think marijuana is still illegal? Think it's because of harmful effects? That's shibai! But, the FDA will inject millions of us with toxic vaccines because the BigPharm stands to make their billions with each flu outbreak. The Pharmaceutical Co.s, the FDA and the crooked politicians are really behind that bogus news story.

Anyway, I drank my first cs solution the other night, following a minor acid reflux burn in my throat and a little swelling in my pharynx. It usually takes a few days to heal, but the day after, I felt fine. That never happened before. Guess it's working.

No vaccine for me, baby!

Comment

Here's my contribution, Bobinator. The bibliography at the end of the article speaks for itself.

And from OSHA and the CDC, here is the toxicological sheet for silver.

Bobinator, I hope it works for you, but I would suggest that you not drink it. A couple of Tums tablets taken after meals can go a long way to help acid reflux, as can elevating the head of your bed. Repeated episodes of acid reflux may mean gastroesophageal reflux disease; that's a whole other ball game, and best addressed by a doctor.

I'm sure you have researched this subject ad nauseam. Yet seeing that you are going so far as to ask your friends at HT for their experiences about swallowing a questionable substance leads me to sugggest that you see a doctor you trust. Sometimes an objective point of view (and a good medical exam) is a good way to go. Then you can talk over problems and possible treatments with someone who does a lot of research, too; docs think from a "what is proven to work" point of view.

Good luck to you with your search.

Comment

Cyleet99-

Thanks for the toxicology report. It actually does confirm my understanding that colloidal silver is safe and effective as provided in this exerpt from the report- "Silver does have helpful uses. For example, silver nitrate was used for many years as drops in newborns' eyes to prevent blindness caused by gonorrhea, and it is also used in salves for burn victims. Some water treatment methods (including water filters) also use a form of silver to kill bacteria."

The blue-gray skin side effect is referred to as Argyria, which can be suffered if ingesting large quantities of silver compounds, or large silver particles.

Even so, this condition is not harmful, except to someones pride and dignity. The Tox. Report states, "Argyria occurs in people who eat or breathe in silver compounds over a long period (several months to many years). A single exposure to a silver compound may also cause silver to be deposited in the skin and in other parts of the body; however, this is not known to be harmful. It is likely that many exposures to silver are necessary to develop argyria. Once you have argyria, it is permanent. However, the condition is thought to be only a "cosmetic" problem. Most doctors and scientists believe that the discoloration of the skin seen in argyria is the most serious health effect of silver."

What I'm referring to is actually iodide silver, made from a process of electrolysis, which is what home-made colloidal silver users drink. The term "colloidal silver", then, is actually being misused. In Iodide silver, the particles are microscopic, approximately .001 to .5 microns, which does not get trapped in the skin or any other organ, but gets flushed out of the body after 5 to 7 days. In the process, it kills at least 650 known pathogens, including viruses, which antibiotics do not.

Furthermore, in the report, harmful effects were noted in rats by ingesting or inhaling 2,589 parts per million (ppm) of silver compound. The recommended concentration of silver iodide, which are much smaller particles, is between 5 ppm and 30 ppm, not 2,589.

There is not a single known case that I've heard of in which a person was harmed by iodide silver, or home made colloidal silver. In fact, quite the opposite.

Comment

Wait a minute, the opposite of "There is not a single known case that I've heard of in which a person was harmed by iodide silver, or home made colloidal silver," is "There is a single known case that I've heard of in which a person was harmed by iodide silver, or home made colloidal silver." I don't believe that's what you meant to suggest.

Look, colloidal silver very well may be able to kill a wide variety of pathogens. HOWever, it doesn't have the ability to distinguish between pathogens and beneficial cells (no specificity). So, you may as well drink concentrated sulfuric acid to kill a few pathogens - because in both cases you will be mostly killing your own cells. I hope this clears the air on drinking colloidal silver.
                      Last edited by salmoned; August 4, 2009, 09:27 AM.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Salmoned-

It does not go after animal cells. Only microbes and pathogens, like bacteria and viruses. There is some concern that it does kill good bacteria, but when ingested in small amounts, it hardly reaches the lower digestive track, but gets absorbed into the bloodstream. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on this one. But still, I haven't known anyone to be negatively affected in their digestive track.

Here's an exerpt from the link below- "In 1978, the popular science magazine Science Digest did a report of silver entitled “Our Mightiest Germ Fighter.” The article stated, “An antibiotic kills perhaps a half-dozen different disease organisms, but silver kills some 650. Resistant strains fail to develop. Moreover, silver is virtually non-toxic.”

"In the 1990’s the Chinese government began researching silver to develop a powerful antiseptic. Their research helped develop a silver-based compound that could sterilize surfaces for extended periods of time without posing any toxic threat to humans."
                        <SPAN style="COLOR: black"><EM>

http://www.colloidal-silver-information.com/

Here's another useful link: http://tuberose.com/Colloidal_Silver.html
                        Last edited by Bobinator; August 4, 2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Sorry to inform you, colloidal silver cannot distinguish between bacteria, animal cells, plant cells, or any other specific biological entity. Colloidal silver doesn't "go after" biological entities, it simply reacts with its chemical environment. Silver doesn't choose to avoid animal cells and it doesn't choose to attack pathogens. It reacts with its chemical environment. It will react with animal cells as easily as with plant cells, bacteria, viruses and other organic and inorganic chemicals. Certainly some chemicals have a greater affinity for reaction than others, but nothing in bacteria or viruses has a peculiarly strong affinity for silver in this regard. Your thinking here is so distorted from reality that I'm no longer convinced I can help on this matter. If you choose to quote an article from 1978 as scientific support for your position, I can't help you there either. Please seek professional help. Also, please don't start drinking powerful antiseptics - you may find they have a powerfully negative effect on your health.
                          Last edited by salmoned; August 5, 2009, 11:09 AM.
                          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Salmoned-

I guess you've agreed to disagree. And apparently, you haven't done much research on this topic to trade blows on this one. At least cyleet99 had the courtesy to provide scientific data, which, by the way, confirmed that it was non-toxic. Cyleet probably didn't realize that a toxicolocy report on something does not mean it's toxic. Still, it was verifiable data. Millions of people take colloidal silver, including many doctors who prescribe it. Despite your concerns, no one's head has fallen off yet. If you want to rely on a government corrupt FDA that ruled Aspartame to be safe, to control your health, that's fine. But even the FDA does not say that colloidal silver is toxic.

Btw, I didn't intend to open a debate on it's use. Especially with people who are not interested in the truth, but want to fight and argue about something they've never used or studied.

Comment

Ah, now, Bobinator. You underestimate me...to be expected, I guess.

Toxicology reports are objective. They do not judge the substance, they give the information for you to do the judging. I was interested to see that it was basically a nontoxic substance, if you don't mind blue-gray skin deposits. I am surprised you had not already accessed that resource in your research.

If I hear about anyone else using colloidal silver or any problems with it, I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X