Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coach McMakin's joke then apology

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    This is the essence of McMackin’s folley. As I mentioned earlier, Coach Mack failed to realize who his audience was. Frankie’s Market seems to disagree that Mack couldn’t “get away” saying what he what did because he wasn’t a comedian. Well, that’s simply untrue. If Greg had a different venue, say a taped interview with Robert Kekaula, or even one with Neil Everett on ESPN, it’s a one-on-one interview where the reporter has developed a close enough relationship with him to forgive him on certain things. This might very well have been one of them. And the problem would be “solved” by simply “editing that part out.” No one would be the wiser.
    To Tunnl: The only thing that is "untrue" is your misapplication of the differentiation between a public official and a comedian that I made in my earlier post. If I have to spell out exactly what I talking about so that you understand, here goes: (sigh!)

It is an *obvious* given that a public official (be they a politician, NCAA coach, university president, etc.) can say whatever they want (even George Carlin's 7 dirty words), as many times as they want and not suffer any consequences,...... IF the words are uttered off the record and never in the presence of anyone who would reveal it to the public. So yes, of course Coach McMackin can get away with saying "f----t" to anyone without punishment if it is only in the presence of people who will keep the matter confidential and off the record, whether it be family members, assistant coaches, or reporters he can trust. No duh!!!!

The difference between a comedian and a public official I was talking about is this: A comedian can say many taboo words on the record and in public and get away with it, by and large. (Although there are some words that are so controversial and incendiary that even the hardiest of stand-up comics will steer clear from, lest they sabotage their own career by alienating too much of their fanbase.) A public official who wants to keep his/her job and remain in good standing can't make the same kind of statements in public without suffering consequences. Alas, that was what I was talking about.

To Jim: Bravo for demonstrating how slurs aren't just simple schoolyard teasing. Slurs based on gender, race, religion and sexual orientation don't merely insult and demean. They can figuratively "dehumanize" whoever it is directed against. Am I wrong? Read some quotes from people who are guilty of committing hate crimes and have no sense of remorse. It's not unusual to hear things along the lines of, "I killed him because he's a &%@*^* good-for-nuthin' n----r," or "F-----g f-----s all deserve to burn in hell and die!" People who commit hate crimes have no sense of compassion and mercy for their targets, because they think of those folks as being less than human. To them, the targets of their hatred have no feelings. They don't think of them as being someone else's beloved father, husband, friend, etc. More than merely being different, they consider their targets of hatred as nothing more than a crude caricature/stereotype of whatever comes to their mind when you mention the slur.

With all this said, it should be pointed out that there is no reason to believe that McMackin's heart and mind is filled with hatred against gays. More than likely, he uttered his slur out of ignorance, not realizing how loaded and offensive it is. The punishment, while severe, was fitting, IMO. A few years ago, a very successful baseball coach for Oklahoma was fired for uttering "n----r" to a reporter. It didn't matter that he won a national title in the past and was at the school for 15 years. If a public official lets a racial slur slip from their lips in front of a microphone, they don't get a warning or a suspension. They get fired, on the spot. In a few years, it's likely that homosexual slurs will be treated with the same level of seriousness.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 1, 2009, 12:18 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I would've used the word panty instead of faggot. I'm a faggot ; I took no offense to it. I giggled at his faux pas. I'm secure in myself. Same giggle I give when I'm called a faggot and everything else under the sun.

I agree with TUNL. Coach Mack failed to realize who his audience was.

Now he's paying for it.

And for those who are outraged....oh please...heavens to murgatroid.........almost everyone has uttered the word faggot under their breath; during a conversation or towards another either in a group of people or to themselves (Even most of those who are outraged at Coach Mack for saying it) or say it out of anger or spite.

Coah Mack just chose the STUPID time and place to use it.

I'm not saying he can or can't say it. Who am I to say what you can or can't say.

There is a little ignorance in all of us regardless; and yes...individuals belittle others out of their own insecurities; it's the cycle of life's errors and we learn from it.

*waves @ anapuni* aloha ......

** These are the ones who help perpetuate the use of this name-calling **

with all due respect anapuni....Coack Mack chose to use that word more than once.....he had the free agency and free will to use it or not to use it...i think he was caught up in the moment

I am almost sure Coach Mack hasn't a hatered bone in his body against the gay community.

He should've used panty or use tutusue's 2 guy's "shi**y little p***ies!

All of this hooplah over a bloody football game.......haven't you all realised; most straight men are serious about football? They become (as most us faggots would utter) EEEEWWW over a football game? Especially when their team loses?

Have a safe and pleasant weekend HT ohana and a productive one as well.

Seeking Penance a.k.a Lomi

one more thing.....GO USC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by Seeking Penance; August 1, 2009, 12:41 AM. Reason: GO USC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
        hi,i imoh that coach mac said an inappropriate slur only i as a viewer when it come's to the game's is able to forgive him,it's one error he'll never make again and when he was remorseful in apologizing,i agree with the term's that the U.H. shared with him and if another culture many year's ago,

when they shared their thought's on the aja's when they came off of the bus and they said a racial slur,they should also apologize,i wont harp on it only they who said it should truly and humbly apologize to the aja's who were offended.

Well thank's for your time
        Sometimes saisei speaks less like himself....either that or his vocabulary is improving, eh?
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Faggot? Isn't that a little meatball rapped in caul? Or is it a bundle of twigs used to start a fire in the chimney?
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            Faggot? Isn't that a little meatball rapped in caul? Or is it a bundle of twigs used to start a fire in the chimney?
            *geisha giggles*......

isn't it a cigarette?
            stay forever young

Comment

Welcome to Nazi America!
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

On one hand, I feel bad that he was crying during his apology. I think he understands now that slurs are not acceptable.

On the other hand, I really want to yell at him - "hey coach, you cry like a f****t!"
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                  *geisha giggles*......

isn't it a cigarette?
                  That's what I thought!

*waves to SP* Hi! Missed you lately!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                    Welcome to Nazi America!
                    Go on. Say what you think.

Comment

I was hoping you'd comment in this thread, SP. Oh, and "shi**ty little p***y" is a term of endearment uttered behind closed doors with a maximum audience of 3!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                        On the other hand, I really want to yell at him - "hey coach, you cry like a f****t!"
                        That's a stiff or limp-wristed penalty of one month's salary.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          LOL!

Never mind about slurs. After going through this ordeal, I don't think we'll ever hear a wuss joke from Coach Mac again,.... ever.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            They get fired, on the spot. In a few years, it's likely that homosexual slurs will be treated with the same level of seriousness.
                            No need to wait a few years - there's no call for slurs of any kind in today's world. They are based on stereotypes of a particular group, an area always fraught with opportunity for great error.
                            Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                            Faggot? Or is it a bundle of twigs used to start a fire in the chimney?
                            Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                            isn't it a cigarette?
                            I remember the "bundle of twigs" definition - and the generally-accepted etymology says that's what evolved into the slang term for a cigarette. But as a slang term for homosexual - it gets a little cloudier there. Some sources say that the Yiddish word for a gay man is faygele (literally, "little bird"). Others say that the "bundle of twigs" version - as something that one is forced to carry - evolved into a derogatory word for a woman, as a type of baggage. (D.H. Lawrence & James Joyce are cited as having used it in that fashion.)

Lastly, fagott is the German word for the instrument we call a bassoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              No need to wait a few years - there's no call for slurs of any kind in today's world. They are based on stereotypes of a particular group, an area always fraught with opportunity for great error.
                              Yesh...just like using 'pussy' to denote feminized weakness.

Pussy can make a man weak at the knees.

Pussy can make him give all his money away.

Pussy can make him give up his dignity and act the fool.

Pussy can make a man cry like a baby.

Pussy can devastate a man.

Pussy is strong!!!

Comment

Too true, Peshkwe, too true.

And I'm comfortable with that balance of power.

I've asked this before: why are men in Hawai`i comfortable with being called "bra," but don't like being called "panty"?

Comment

Working...
                                X