Thread: Pancakes

Default Pancakes

Pancakes.

I've got the mix all ready and almost every conceivable substance to go on a pancake. As the neighbours drop in, my cousin will make them theirs to eat on the spot or to take away. Plus a glass of sherry. Mostly, they like the good old fashioned lemon and sugar but some go for the maple syrop.
    What do do you want on yours ?

Default Re: Pancakes

Barry, are these slim sophisticated English pancakes like my husband makes, not all that far from crepes? Or real American pancakes, pillowy and half an inch thick?

When we're in Ireland, we pick blackberries and stew them, then load them on (English style) pancakes, and roll them up with ice cream and a capful of Jameson's whiskey. I'll be there this time next week!
    Speak to the heart and the man becomes instantly virtuous. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Betsey View Post
    Barry, are these slim sophisticated English pancakes like my husband makes, not all that far from crepes? Or real American pancakes, pillowy and half an inch thick?

When we're in Ireland, we pick blackberries and stew them, then load them on (English style) pancakes, and roll them up with ice cream and a capful of Jameson's whiskey. I'll be there this time next week!

Having lived in France, my pancacakes are like crepe suzettes. Supplied with lots of goodies,,,,, Grrand Marnier, Cream etc, etc,
    Often, people like to bring their own fillings and then hover around for some more pancakes.

Blend together six eggs, a teaspoon of salt, two cups of flour, two cups of milk, one cup of water and one and a half of oil. Let sit for an hour or so (or up to a few days in the fridge).

Heat a shallow frying pan til quite hot and use a paper towel to wipe it with oil. Leaving the pan on the heat, quickly pour in one small ladleful of batter, swirling the pan as you do so in order to distribute the batter evenly. If the batter seems to thick, add more water a bit at a time...practice makes perfect and the first one or two never come out right, anyway.... Read More

Cook til browned and then loosen with a spatula and flip over, cook til brown on the other side. Lift out onto a plate and spread with jam or Nutella or sprinkle with sugar (a mix of brown and white sugar along with a pinch of cinnamon is good, too. Fold or roll up, eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What do do you want on yours ?
    Whatever that stuff is Boots & Kimos puts on theirs.

Today in national pancake day. Is it still a pancake if it's a waffle with a hotdog in it?

Eat a pancake in honor of Barry today.

Unhappy Re: Pancakes, Barry, and rememberance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Perhaps we can make this the unofficial, international "Barry's Pancake Day," every year on February (no matter HOW you pronounce or mangle It) 16th: 2 days past Valentines, and month and a day (or two) before St. Patties (depending on your intake of Guinesses').

I miss Barry. I may have been the last HT'er to have seen him in the flesh, not that accords me any special privs. Barry was cool; he was my friend. I can't bring him back, so what's left?

Please, let us establish a special day for Barry. Do we need a poll? A vote? I'm ready now.

Barry Pancake Day?
    Some other name? I'm open, all my tears have been shed.

Let's DO IT!

K~~
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Default Re: Pancakes, Barry, and rememberance.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Just what I was thinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Perhaps we can make this the unofficial, international "Barry's Pancake Day," every year on February (no matter HOW you pronounce or mangle It) 16th: [...]
    Sounds good to me! IIRC, Barry is HT's first 'transition'. Not that that's an honor I'd wish on anyone. Still, I welcome a special, annual Barry day.

Exclamation Re: Pancakes, Barry, and rememberance.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Just what I was thinking!

Sounds good to me! IIRC, Barry is HT's first 'transition'. Not that that's an honor I'd wish on anyone. Still, I welcome a special, annual Barry day.
    Should we have a vote?

Perhaps a poll?

Maybe we should just DO IT!?!?!??

I vote to just DO IT!

Those who will, will hang on, those who don't will drop off.
    I just need a second..... Like a second in terms of voting....

You start it, or I will.

K`anohi
    ~ ~

Default Re: Pancakes, Barry, and rememberance.

Should we have a vote?

Perhaps a poll?

Maybe we should just DO IT!?!?!??

I vote to just DO IT!

Those who will, will hang on, those who don't will drop off.
    I just need a second..... Like a second in terms of voting....

You start it, or I will.

K`anohi
    I just bummed out when I saw Barry started this then I thought well why not, Let's honor barry with pancakes! I'll make some blueberry this week!

I can certainly eat a pancake in honor of Barry!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Ė Sydney J. Harris

All Right!
    I hereby propose, with the backing of tutusue, SusieMisajon, leashlaws me and others like Leo Lakio an I forget who else cause I'm Barry's Age (or was or were), that from now h 16th 0f Feb ruary onHawaii Threads is set side for Barry and his pancakes.
    Anyone opposed,pepare to argue.
    ~ ~

All Right!
    I hereby propose, with the backing of tutusue, SusieMisajon, leashlaws me and others like Leo Lakio an I forget who else cause I'm Barry's Age (or was or were), that from now h 16th 0f Feb ruary onHawaii Threads is set side for Barry and his pancakes.
    Anyone opposed,pepare to argue.
    So, we'll need an official name for the day.
    Barry's Pancakes Day
    Pancakes and Barrys Day
    Barry, Berries, and Pancakes
    Barry Topped Pancakes Day
    Now run along and play, but donít get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Amati View Post
    So, we'll need an official name for the day.
    Barrycakes Day?

I'm in and double down.

We make our pancakes from scratch with an old, family tradition buttermilk recipe. We top with homemade freezer strawberry jam, and a light coating of powdered sugar. They are between crepes and the thick ones.

I hope Barry would be proud of me.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Someone will need to be responsible for reminding us a few days in advance each year, please.

Until that time next year - EVERY time I eat pancakes, I am certain I will remember Barry.

I know I'm not a founding member or in the age-range, but I think it's a wonderful idea. I love pancakes! I think I'll make some tomorrow in honor of Barry since I missed the 16th.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Pancakes and a glass of sherry for me! Aloha, Barry, you are missed.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

The dining section of today's Honolulu Advertiser has National Pancake Day being on February 23rd. I must have read a headline wrong for that day last week. IHOP has something special for Tuesday. But, I have been eating a lot of pancakes because I had a box of pancake mix past its expiration date.

I saw the ad about National Pancake Day too. I'd rather celebrate Barry's Pancake Day. Well, actually I'll probably do both! I LOVE pancakes!

There's a sign at the IHOP in Little Rock, AR that says "Pancakes Make People Happy". I have to agree!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    Blend together six eggs, a teaspoon of salt, two cups of flour, two cups of milk, one cup of water and one and a half of oil. Let sit for an hour or so (or up to a few days in the fridge).

Heat a shallow frying pan til quite hot and use a paper towel to wipe it with oil. Leaving the pan on the heat, quickly pour in one small ladleful of batter, swirling the pan as you do so in order to distribute the batter evenly. If the batter seems to thick, add more water a bit at a time...practice makes perfect and the first one or two never come out right, anyway.... Read More

Cook til browned and then loosen with a spatula and flip over, cook til brown on the other side. Lift out onto a plate and spread with jam or Nutella or sprinkle with sugar (a mix of brown and white sugar along with a pinch of cinnamon is good, too. Fold or roll up, eat.
    Still yum!

I like the blue Ube pancakes at Yogurstory.