American Idol Season 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Idol Season 9

Fox says Paula Abdul quitting 'American Idol'.

Re: American Idol Season 9

No Paula.
    AI stands for As Insane.

Comment

Fox announced that Kara DioGuardi would return for a second season on the "American Idol" judging panel that includes Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson. The addition of Grammy-nominated songwriter DioGuardi last year raised questions about Abdul's future.
      "Kara You can't fire me, I quit!!"

So the wackiest weakest link is replaced. How big a pile of money will Paula be sitting on, anyway? Probably beats the heck out of music royalties.

I wonder if she's working on a different reality-show pilot or project. Hard to believe she can organize a team for that, though. Much more likely to be a ghost-written AI exposé.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I thought Paula was a lot better last season, as it seemed she has beaten the addiction to pain medications and was a lot less stoned on the air. Good for her.

From CNN.com just now:

How will Paula Abdul's departure affect next season's "American Idol"?

It'll be better... 44%... 57,015

It'll be worse... 56%... 73,585

Total Votes: 130,600

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Paula's Replacement is...

... Ellen DeGeneres!

Ellen DeGeneres is New Judge on 'American Idol'

wow! >>> >>>
          To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

I stopped watching after season 4 or 5. Having Degeneres as a judge... I just might tune in again!

Comment

Interesting. Degeneres was also a guest judge on SYTYCD. I guess TPTB think a lot of her "every person" touch

Comment

I thought Ellen was great on SYTYCD...very funny but insightful and encouraging. She'll take over Paula's 'nice judge' reputation but add a real dose of intentional comedy. I'm such an Ellen fan...can't wait! Great choice on the producers' part. IMNSHO, that is!

Comment

Paula or Ellen?
                  One nervously rambles on without being under the influence. The other is Paula.

Comment

Some think AI jumped the shark when they brought Kara DioGuardi along, then losing Paula and adding Ellen, well they might have just jumped a whale. I bet the ratings will decline even moreso than last. Despite all this, still a VERY popular show, I'd rather see Seacrest become a judge than Ellen. The whole point I thought of the show was to have experienced judges who are in the music industry rate the performances of the singers, then the fans call in to express their thoughts. I guess Ellen is one of the fans who now can judge. I really like Ellen, so nothing against her at all, I'd just rather have them add someone with a music background than her. I just hope the show doesnt get wilted down to her comic bits at times unless of course another William Hung appears.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      [...] I really like Ellen, so nothing against her at all, I'd just rather have them add someone with a music background than her. [...]
                      I hear ya, AJ, but keep in mind that, until last season, AI had 3 judges with music expertise. They still do. Personally, I think it's a great idea to have 1 judge (out of 4) who is judging as a viewer. I'm occasionally called upon to judge singing contests. I have no music expertise or background. I do, however, have a background in performance and stage presence. I'm offset by a judge with music chops. Ellen will bring her own strengths to the show. I expect she'll be full of insight. Time will tell! As someone on one of the morning shows said of Ellen today..."She's America's 51 year old, lesbian sweetheart."!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        She's America's 51 year old, lesbian sweetheart."!!!
                        She's 51?...

This could actually be funny as hell if they allow her to cut loose, and occassionally nail what's his name, Cowell.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ellen will bring her own strengths to the show.
                          Ellen will bring her own crowd of raving fans, too.

The only bigger audience attraction would've been Oprah...
                          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            She's 51?...

This could actually be funny as hell if they allow her to cut loose, and occassionally nail what's his name, Cowell.
                            51 just ain't what it used to be!!! Ellen looks great, as does Madonna. My take on Ellen is that she knows when and when not to take a situation to the brink. I'll guess she'll be wonderful playing off of Simon, esp. if she flirts and comes on to him...the ol' sexual tension thingie!!! She'll obviously give that a whole new meaning!

Comment

I hear ya, AJ, but keep in mind that, until last season, AI had 3 judges with music expertise. They still do. Personally, I think it's a great idea to have 1 judge (out of 4) who is judging as a viewer. I'm occasionally called upon to judge singing contests. I have no music expertise or background. I do, however, have a background in performance and stage presence. I'm offset by a judge with music chops. Ellen will bring her own strengths to the show. I expect she'll be full of insight.
                              Good point. Ellen will bring a viewpoint from another segment of the entertainment industry. Remember, she's the host of a very successful TV talk-variety show. So her views and opinions aren't exactly equivalent to that of the person on the street. But of course, leave it to Ellen to be modest about the whole thing and talking about her background as a "fan" rather than her position of power and influence in show biz.

51 just ain't what it used to be!!! Ellen looks great, as does Madonna. My take on Ellen is that she knows when and when not to take a situation to the brink. I'll guess she'll be wonderful playing off of Simon, esp. if she flirts and comes on to him...the ol' sexual tension thingie!!! She'll obviously give that a whole new meaning!
                              I don't know about any sexual tensions between Ellen and Simon. Fans found it sorta cute between Simon and Paula, since both of them were single and left a lot of room for speculation about what they were doing behind the scenes. But Ellen, lest we forget, is legally married to her partner (Portia de Rossi) so any kind of flirting carried on between the two in front of the AI cameras might be a hard-sell. And because Ellen is married, any tabloid rumors about the two of them will come off as sleazy and scandalous rather than something that is cute and playful.

Whether it works or not in the long run, you can be sure that folks will be tuning in big time when Ellen makes her AI debut, as they'll be curious to see how she fits in with the show and the rapport she has with the rest of the judging panel.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X