Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Budget Meals

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    thanks for that link! I'm definitely going to check out some of those recipes. What time does his show come on? I'd like to watch it.

thanks!
    Originally posted by Sharilyn View Post
    Thanks, Cyn. I used to be a Food Channel junky, but I've never seen that show!
    you're welcome, ladies!

if you have an oceanic DVR here's a link to when you can catch the show.

if you have regular oceanic cable, here's the schedule.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

i was gonna post a brief description of the filipino style bean soup i cooked tonight under "what's for dinner" but thought it might be useful to you, sharilyn.

i picked up a bag of black beans from chinatown this past sunday. i like the asian brands better than the typical ones you find in the major grocery stores bcs they seem to have considerably fewer stones and wierd looking bean rejects per bag. be careful to get black beans (black turtle beans or frito negros) and not black soybeans, since they're totally different. i can't imagine that the bag cost me more than $2 for about 10 or 12 ounces (you shouldn't buy more than you can use in a month).

we also picked up some frozen pork short ribs that were already cut up for about $1.70/lb.

prep: defrost pork in fridge. pour out a cup and a half of black beans into a bowl and throw out and broken or shriveled beans & any little stones you might find. rinse the beans and then soak them overnight in about three cups of water. when you're ready to cook, drain water, rinse and drain again.

cook: sear 1 lb pork ribs at med-high to high heat. lower heat, add chopped onions & garlic & cook til fragrant. add a bay leaf or two. add beans. add enough water to cover the meat and beans. scrape off the fond from the bottom of the pan. add about two tablespoons of sea salt, bring to a boil, then to a vigorous simmer until pork is tender--at least an hour. make sure to watch the water level so that there's always enough liquid to cover the meat and beans.

when meat is tender, add one chopped tomato, which brightens the soup's flavor. at this point, you can add whatever veggies you like. i used about a cup of frozen green beans we had in the fridge and chopped up maybe two cups white squash (scored a fairly large one for only $0.99/lb in chinatown). i also seasoned the soup with fresh ground pepper and about two tablespoons of patis, but you can use soy sauce if you prefer, or just more sea salt. the veggies you use will affect the taste of the soup so adjust according to what tastes good to you. i also like to use eggplant, okinawan spinach, and/or kabocha. i've even used broccoli rabe. i would imagine shanghai spinach or even choy sum would work.

if you have a pressure cooker, you could probably whip this recipe out in about an hour and have no need to pre-soak the beans. i wasn't in a rush tonight so i didn't use mine. here's a great resource for pressure cooker owners, by the way.

this recipe is good, over rice, for three hearty meals for me and eric. like many bean soup recipes, this qualifies for cheap eats that are a good source of protein & fiber!
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        i was gonna post a brief description of the filipino style bean soup i cooked tonight under "what's for dinner" but thought it might be useful to you, sharilyn.

i picked up a bag of black beans from chinatown this past sunday. i like the asian brands better than the typical ones you find in the major grocery stores bcs they seem to have considerably fewer stones and wierd looking bean rejects per bag. be careful to get black beans (black turtle beans or frito negros) and not black soybeans, since they're totally different. i can't imagine that the bag cost me more than $2 for about 10 or 12 ounces (you shouldn't buy more than you can use in a month).

we also picked up some frozen pork short ribs that were already cut up for about $1.70/lb.

prep: defrost pork in fridge. pour out a cup and a half of black beans into a bowl and throw out and broken or shriveled beans & any little stones you might find. rinse the beans and then soak them overnight in about three cups of water. when you're ready to cook, drain water, rinse and drain again.

cook: sear 1 lb pork ribs at med-high to high heat. lower heat, add chopped onions & garlic & cook til fragrant. add a bay leaf or two. add beans. add enough water to cover the meat and beans. scrape off the fond from the bottom of the pan. add about two tablespoons of sea salt, bring to a boil, then to a vigorous simmer until pork is tender--at least an hour. make sure to watch the water level so that there's always enough liquid to cover the meat and beans.

when meat is tender, add one chopped tomato, which brightens the soup's flavor. at this point, you can add whatever veggies you like. i used about a cup of frozen green beans we had in the fridge and chopped up maybe two cups white squash (scored a fairly large one for only $0.99/lb in chinatown). i also seasoned the soup with fresh ground pepper and about two tablespoons of patis, but you can use soy sauce if you prefer, or just more sea salt. the veggies you use will affect the taste of the soup so adjust according to what tastes good to you. i also like to use eggplant, okinawan spinach, and/or kabocha. i've even used broccoli rabe. i would imagine shanghai spinach or even choy sum would work.

if you have a pressure cooker, you could probably whip this recipe out in about an hour and have no need to pre-soak the beans. i wasn't in a rush tonight so i didn't use mine. here's a great resource for pressure cooker owners, by the way.

this recipe is good, over rice, for three hearty meals for me and eric. like many bean soup recipes, this qualifies for cheap eats that are a good source of protein & fiber!

The above sounds soup-erb and I would love to have a go at it in my pressure cooker. Yet many of the ingredients we cant get here, not even in our china town. No way would I compromise on this recipe but I bet it's great over some rice.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
          Wow, that sounds delish! You make things sound so good... I can almost smell the aroma of simmering pork

Comment

$25, 1 Week of Meals

*bump*

I love the Wednesday editions of the newspaper for the FOOD sections...
            Saw an article in today's Honolulu Star-Bulletin and thought of this thread:

$25, 1 Week of Meals

It's a pretty substantial article by Joleen Oshiro. The opening goes:

Gabrielle Sunheart was at the lowest point in her life when her best idea hit.

"Last year I had a comfortable life and a decent income, and suddenly I had none — no money. I thought, 'How will I ever feed my kids?'"

It was August 2008, and the Big Island resident, suddenly a single mom, found herself standing in line for government assistance. Her husband had left her, and her access to income from their family business had been cut off.

"Within a few minutes I was given food stamps, and I stood there in the office crying. I was so happy to get that money."

Sunheart was overwhelmed by the $150 assistance. But the woman on the other side of the counter told her most folks who come through that office don't share her reaction. "She said people say they can't do anything with $150 — and that's when I had my 'Aha!' moment."

Sunheart was determined to figure out how to provide healthy fare for herself and three children on the $150 budget, and she planned to turn that knowledge into income.

So after nine months of brainstorming, researching and experimenting with recipes — "I wrote and wrote and wrote, and cooked and cooked and cooked" — Sunheart self-published a 200-page pocket cookbook, "How to FEED a Family of 4 on $25 a Week..."
            You can access the entire article at the link above.

The article includes 4 of Sunheart's recipes. If you want the actual cookbook, it can be ordered directly from the author. Contact info is given at the end of the article.

To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

This is something I actually crave every once in a while. There is no real recipe ~ it's all oyoso. For 4 people, I would guess 3-4 cans of tuna drained of liquid. Put the tuna in a bowl. Somewhere between 1/4 - 1/2 of an onion (depending on the size of the onion and whether you like onion) finely diced and mixed into the tuna. sprinkle with lemon juice and soy sauce. Toss in some minced parsley if you have it. Spread it over hot rice and serve with a salad.

Comment

I often prepare this budget, easy to fix, 7 course meal...a taco and a six pack of beer.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  I often prepare this budget, easy to fix, 7 course meal...a taco and a six pack of beer.
                  Hahaha! Doesn't the beer make you hungry though?? I would always end up eating 4 tacos after a six pack of beer...
                  What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                    Doesn't the beer make you hungry though?? ..
                    No, the six-pack makes me think that Palin might be a good choice in 2012. Then I swear I'll never drink beer again.
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Beer!

Now that's a cheap meal!
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        I prefer the 12-course cold pack myself

Plantation food is the best though...string beans and eggs all fried up over rice
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                        X