• Show
Clear All

• Budget Meals

I'm looking for ideas for budget meals.

Thank you for your recipe, Barry.

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    Cheap and tasty for 4

4 Bell Peppers
    4 Tablespoons of quorn (mince meat substitute)
    1 small onion
    1 mug of bismati rice (not that sticky stuff you eat)
    1 level tea spoon of Chinese 5 spice
    1 pinch of garlic powder.

Method

Boil rice in a little salt'
    Fry the finly choped onion with the quorn and other ingredients while you de-seed the peppers.
    Stuff the peppers with the goodies and pop into the micro for about 2 mins.
    Serve on a bed of rice.

Enjoy

Re: Budget Meals

How many people are you trying to feed?

Comment

It does say above that the recipe is for 4. The ingrededients can be lessenened for less people !

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        How many people are you trying to feed?
        Two people, sometimes four. Also good would be ideas for budget meals where leftovers can be frozen.

Comment

Did you ever try using Tuna Helper? I think a box can feed 2 people with no problem.

Comment

My answer is always homemade soup.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
              My answer is always homemade soup.

I have to go along with this. Home made lentil and ham with carrots and then put in a tupaware container. It willl frreeze for a month and be as tasty as ever. All you need is fresh crunchy bread to go with it.

Comment

Are you in Hawaii, Sharilyn? I have some good budget meal ideas, but while the ingredients are cheap on the mainland, I don't know how pricey they would be over there.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                  Are you in Hawaii, Sharilyn? I have some good budget meal ideas, but while the ingredients are cheap on the mainland, I don't know how pricey they would be over there.
                  I live in Hawaii. Thanks... I would still like to hear your suggestions!

Comment

you can also look at the poor man's meals thread.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      you can also look at the poor man's meals thread.
                      Thanks! I missed that thread when I did a search

Comment

you're welcome. you wouldn't have known how to find it unless you knew it existed.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

eric's coming home and firing up the DVR reminded me that this guy, whom we watch at least twice weekly, presents what seem to be very reasonably priced meals that taste good. most of his recipes center around either feeding a number of people for a few dollars each or stretching an ingredient (like a store bought roast chicken) over several meals.

good deal with dave lieberman.

honestly, we haven't tried making any of his recipes, but most everything we've seen looked conceptually culinarily sound. some recipes might need ingredient adjusting for hawaii (halibut might be cheap and easy to find on the east coast but it's not here) but that shouldn't be too much a problem.

Comment

thanks for that link! I'm definitely going to check out some of those recipes. What time does his show come on? I'd like to watch it.

thanks!
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks, Cyn. I used to be a Food Channel junky, but I've never seen that show!

Comment

Working...
                              X