Calling all Editors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Editors

After glancing over Yahoo this morning, I chose this article to read. Now, it has been a long time since I participated in my college newspaper, but I am having difficulty with the following passages. I present them for your editing pleasure and my edification.

1. Nonetheless, the high-stakes battle has pressed allies of a president who built his narrative around his work as a community organizer into a campaign to delegitimize the organizers of the protests and their means of expression.

2. "This is now going to be a potential problem for Republicans who have to take responsibility for the actions of the people they get excited and engaged about this type of politics," Meyer said.

I've never read CQPolitics before, but I was surprised to find these paragraphs posted. I read the first paragraph out loud three times and I am still not sure what it is trying to say. The second one, I think, is just poor grammar. I believe their editors skipped over this article.

What do you think?

Re: Calling all Editors...

I think you're having difficulty finding a good way to waste time.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Re: Calling all Editors

Busted.....

Spousal unit accidentally took my keys to my car and condo today. I am trapped!!

Comment

First sentence is clearly a run-on and the second sentence containing a quote doesn't make any sense to me.

Aj

Comment

A good copy editor would have sent the first one back to the writer and turned the second into a paraphrase.

Among the first people being laid off at newspapers, however, are the copy editors.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

As a quickie, I would:

1. Nonetheless, thise high-stakes battle has pressed allies of the a president (who built his narrative around his work as a community organizer) into a campaign to delegitimize the organizers of the protests and their means of expression.

Even then, it needs work.... "delegitimize" is Poli-speak for 'discredit,' I would guess.

2. "This is now going to be a potential problem for Republicans who have to take responsibility for the actions of the people they get excited and engaged about this type of politics," Meyer said.

Unclear whether he means all Republicans or just those who get people engaged and excited; a comma after Republicans would indicate the former.

Evidently Meyer went to a school which abhorred punctuation.

Occasional Editor, K.
            Last edited by Kaonohi; August 6, 2009, 01:34 PM. Reason: Fine tuning
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X