Thread: Problems shopping at Safeway

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Problems shopping at Safeway

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...=rss_localnews

Don't put dirty meat in your mouth!

Default Re: Safeway recalling ground beef

"The recall affects ground beef products sold between June 6 and July 14..."

Sheesh. I know I bought some ground beef... already cooked and eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
    "The recall affects ground beef products sold between June 6 and July 14..."

Sheesh. I know I bought some ground beef... already cooked and eaten.

You will be OK. They always err on the safe side. A Tip is to by some quorn (meat substitute) You will not tell the difference between that and ground beef. Quorn last for months in the freezer and is good for spaghetti, burgers etc.

Is it Safeway's policy for the cashiers to ask every customer for a donation to a charity? They seem to be the only grocery chain to do that.

Obviously you haven't been to Foodland lately! They are now helping raise funds for HHSSA. Of course, it's for a very good cause & I've already donated but still................
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Sydney J. Harris

Safeway's debit/credit machines are set up to ask for the donation AND the cashier also asks. An overkill, imo. The cashier should only ask if someone pays cash. I don't mind the charitable support but I do mind being asked twice. The last time I was at Whole Foods I brought my own bags. The cashier asked if I wanted to donate my bag credit to <forget which charity they were supporting>. I thought this was a great use of that credit and mentioned that to the cashier. It certainly will encourage me to remember to bring my own bags in the future.

As for the recalled ground beef. About a week prior to the recall I defrosted a package of Safeway GB, baked a casserole using it then froze the casserole in individual servings. Naturally, the GB package ended up in the trash chute and I didn't recall the date on the package. I trashed the casserole deciding it was better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Is it Safeway's policy for the cashiers to ask every customer for a donation to a charity? They seem to be the only grocery chain to do that.
    Yes, it's part of our shopper program to ask every customer for a donation. If they don't, they run the risk of getting written up for not following policy. Most, if not all the cashiers don't like asking customers for donations (especially for the frequent customers).
    Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Default Re: Problems shopping at Safeway

Maybe Safeway should "re-think" their policy? I also don't like having the cashier yell out my name when saying thank you. I don't need everyone in the front of the store to know I've just spent way too much $$$ to shop there. I like to shop in a more discrete & incognito sort of way. I understand the psychology behind it, but c'mon here - I'm buying groceries, not asking you for a date

and PS: I didn't buy any ground beef so I didn't have to throw anything away. Sorry TS that you did all that cooking for naught.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Sydney J. Harris

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...=rss_localnews

Don't put dirty meat in your mouth!
    http://www.kitv.com/news/24545794/detail.html

It's deja-vu all over again.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085/?GT1=43001

Will the Safeway on Kapahulu still keep this service?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085/?GT1=43001

Will the Safeway on Kapahulu still keep this service?
    Kapahulu Safeway has no plans to remove the self checkout lanes, infact the company was thinking about adding two additional units.

You will also see the self checkout units at the New Beretania and Ewa stores when they open in January 2012 and November 2012.
    Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

http://specials.msn.com/a-list/news/...ned-4-year-old

She should've got a Safeway card.

I've shopped at Safeway since I moved to the Windward side 18 years ago. The best thing: short checkout lines. The worst thing: water-logged lettuce.
    Greg