• Honey Pie
    • Honey Don't
    • Two of Us
    • Rain
    • Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me & My Monkey
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all good children go to Heaven

You Never Give Me Your Number is great, but there are enuf great Beatles tunes to have a favorite for every day of the year.
      Outside of the early mop-top tunes like 909, I like Abbey Road and the white albums best.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Your favorite Beatles songs?

"Imagine" tops my list, although that's really more John Lennon's than all four of them.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
          I'll take the entire Sgt. Pepper's album, as well as the movie soundtrack, with the cast singing those tracks....

A Day in the Life. As good today as back then.
          Cheap Trick will be performing the entire Sgt. Pepper's album at the Vegas Hilton for many dates next month.

Aj

Comment

I remember how scandalized the world (well some of it anyway) was by the Beatles' Loooong hair, the Beatle boots...it was the end of the world. But of course so was The Twist, go go boots, miniskirts...

Comment

For some reason, it's the early ballads (with their gorgeous harmonies and subtly-complex structures) that pop up most often on my mental jukebox. These were influential in my earliest "discoveries" of music, as a child.

Examples: Do You Want To Know A Secret, If I Fell, And I Love Her

Comment

WOW, if there ever was a category made for me, this is it!

I could never list them all, but there are some that are just the BEST, as far as I am concerned. Most of these are from their early days, which I (personally) consider their truest display of talent.

I Saw Her Standing There (possibly my #1 all time!)
                I Should Have Known Better
                If I Fell
                You're Gonna Lose That Girl
                I'll Be Back
                The Night Before
                Hard Day's Night
                All My Loving
                Got To Get You Into My Life
                and nearly the entire "Rubber Soul" album

I could go on for hours...then we'd have to get into their solo efforts!

Comment

I loved getting early Beatles songs on those swirly orange and yellow labeled Capitol 45s. Too bad most of them were played to a point of being trashed. Had to buy a lot of the songs again on compilation LPs and later on CD.

The Beatles' early period had a lot of their basic rock n roll songs (and some ballads too) that brought them into prominence and already mentioned in this thread. I'll add...
                  • I Want to Hold Your Hand
                  • She Loves You
                  • Eight Days a Week
                  • Can't Buy Me Love
                  • Please Please Me
                  • From Me to You
                  • Help!
                  • Run For Your Life
                  • Things We Said Today
                  • and many others

It was also during their early period in which they did several cover songs that became radio hits... among them:
                  • Rock n Roll Music
                  • Rollover Beethoven
                  • Twist & Shout
                  • Money (That's What I Like)
                  • Kansas City
                  • Act Naturally (a Hoyt Axton penned country song popularized by Buck Owens, B-side to "Yesterday"; Ringo on vocals!)
                  • Please Mister Postman
                  • You've Really Got a Hold on Me
                  • A Taste of Honey
                  • Baby It's You (re-released from the BBC sessions in 1994)

Their music is much enjoyed today as it was back then on old AM radios and scratchy old 45s.

BTW, the entire Beatles catalog is supposed to be re-released in remastered versions on 9-9-09 along with a Rock Band video game for XBox, Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii. A new generation may get to discover the Beatles in a new way... and probably a lot of old fans will buy the new games.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

It was also during their early period in which they did several cover songs that became radio hits... among them:
                    • Rock n Roll Music
                    • Rollover Beethoven
                    • Twist & Shout
                    • Money (That's What I Like)
                    Don't you mean Money (That's What I Want)?

"That's What I Like" sounds like a local pidgin version of the song.

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    • Kansas City
                    • Act Naturally (a Hoyt Axton penned country song popularized by Buck Owens, B-side to "Yesterday"; Ringo on vocals!)
                    • Please Mister Postman
                    • You've Really Got a Hold on Me
                    • A Taste of Honey
                    • Baby It's You (re-released from the BBC sessions in 1994)
                    Long Tall Sally, Boys, and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby also have had a lot of radio airplay over the years and were all longtime staples in their concert playlist.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Don't you mean Money (That's What I Want)?

"That's What I Like" sounds like a local pidgin version of the song.
                      Sorry I made a mistake on that one. Everyone knows what I mean. You too.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I almost listed "A Taste of Honey"--actually, I should have; I absolutely love that. When it plays in the car, I always repeat it--at least once. And, "I Will"--oh yeah...do I ever love that one. Saw him do that live in Anaheim, CA, 11-11-05...WOW!

There are just too darn many...it would almost be easier to list my non-favorites--there are a lot fewer of those!

Comment

Paul is great in concert. I saw him (Wings) in the late 80s in Phoenix. It was at ASU stadium and he had two huge screens on either side of the stage. When they performed old Beatles songs they had black and white shots of the Beatles (some that I'd never seen) and it was very nostalgic. I loved it.
                          ~~~~~~
                          Hanalei Bay Resort | Waipouli Beach Resort | Kuhio Shores

Comment

Saw McCartney perform "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" the other night in Phoenix which he said was the very first time it ever played on American soil.

Comment

So many choices...The Night Before, Tell Me Why (if you ever doubted the Beatles were a kickas rock band listen to this one), Its All Too Much (ditto), I Feel Fine, Lovely Rita...soooooo many to chose from! I confess as a kid I was such a conservative little #### that when the Beatles failed to sell out Balboa Stadium in San Diego (I believe the only venue to not sell out in the US) I thought it showed good judgment by San Diego youth. Jeeze. They did win me over with Tell Me Why, which I probably listened to 100 times one night. Remember how scandalous their "long" hair was in '64, and the Beatles boots and the funny looking suits they wore? As I recall there was a fairly smooth transition for adults from thinking that "The Twist" heralded the downfall of western civilization to believing that the Beatles did. I never miss "Help" when its on TV. What an incredible era for music that was, and they pretty much set the standard.

Hmmm, I seem to have answered this question a couple of times before.
                              Last edited by Kalalau; April 2, 2010, 07:19 AM. Reason: Additional Observation

Comment

Instead of listing every Beatles' song there is...
                                "With a little help from my friends" written by Lennon/McCartney.
                                http://www.lyrics.com/with-a-little-...e-beatles.html
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X