KORL 101.1 has been referencing KUHI Haiku over the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KORL 101.1 has been referencing KUHI Haiku over the weekend

I've noticed something strange over the weekend on Hawaii's Smooth Jazz KORL 101.1. The strange content is the reference to KUHI (106.5) in Haiku, Maui, within the top-of-the-hour ID. It made me wonder if KORL FM's simulcasting on KUHI was for real. When KUHI was testing, it could be faintly received on a powerful FM radio here in Waipahu. KUHI briefly simulcasted KORL FM on Saturday afternoon. As of 5:00 AM today, KORL FM removed the reference to KUHI. What's the deal with KUHI? Is KORL FM's simulcasting on KUHI a hoax or a reality?

Re: KORL 101.1 has been referencing KUHI Haiku over the weekend

In February, the station asked for an STA to go silent. The reason listed on the application was that "THE LICENSEE INTENDS TO MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO ITS TRANSMITTER AND TRANSMISSION EQUIPMENT. THE TRANSMITTER IS OF FOREIGN MANUFACTURE AND THE COMPANY IS NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. PARTS MUST BE CUSTOM FABRICATED. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT THE MODIFICATIONS CAN BE COMPLETED WITHIN 90 DAYS."

The FCC granted the request on July 9, 2009. The expiration date of the STA is February 20, 2010.

Comment

No word on KUHI being sold to H. Hawaii Media?

Comment

Big Island Broadcasting's bid for the station was a little over $1.6-Million in 2005. That, in my opinion, was a ridiculous amount to pay for the Haiku, Maui CP. I would think that the principal, Joel Sellers, would want to get at least that plus any construction costs if the station is put up for sale. That's probably going to put the price up around $2-Million, which I can't see H. Hawaii Media (or anyone else, for that matter) paying for the station.

Probably a more viable alternative would be an LMA. I think Sellers is doing that with the Captain Cook station she picked up in the auction.

Comment

It looks like KUHI is finally committed to simulcasting KORL FM. I'm now happy for smooth jazz fans on Maui.

Comment

Erika Engle has the buzz on this today.

Maui's new FM station simulcasts smooth jazz

KUHI-FM 106.5 is on the air as Maui's newest FM station.

Owned by Louisiana-based Big Island Broadcasting Inc., it signed on yesterday with a simulcast of smooth jazz from KORL-FM 101.1 in Honolulu.

"We have an agreement with her," said KORL owner George Hochman of KUHI owner Joel Sellers of Louisiana, though he declined to divulge details.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
            X