This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's for Dinner - Chapter 5

Microwaved the last of the frozen pizzas and a can of Mountain Dew.

Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 4

Brie, pickled herring and some white wine. For dessert, dark chocolate, a biscotti, and a glass of port.

Hey, I just bought a box of tamales from Costco. I just realized that I've never had tamales before! How weird is that?

Comment

Angry Whopper combo with onion rings and a Diet Coke from Burger King.

Comment

hi,last night,we had long rice a chinese noodle dish with rice and vegetable's like a lettuce and tomato salad with rakkyo a japanese type small radish and tonight,im having one sunnyside up egg on rice with the yolk on the rice and i have my diet soda.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

American pancakes.

Mix 2 1/2 cups flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon baking powder.
          In another bowl, mix two eggs, 1 1/2 cup milk (I used goat's milk), and 3/4 cup of oil (or melted butter).
          Pour the liquid into the dry and stir til just mixed, add more flour or milk if you want thicker or thinner pancakes.
          At this point, you can also fold in fruit...berries, bananas, apples...

Pour by spoonfuls into a hot pan, wait for tiny bubbles on the tops of the pancakes, then turn and cook a bit more. Serve with jam or butter and syrup.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

#1 combo, frosty and a Diet Coke from Wendy's.

Comment

I bought monchong (fish) from Costco. I think it's the first time I've eaten and cooked with it. I fried it, and made a chicken chinese salad and spam musubi.

I also got a slab of wild salmon (with skin on it). I have a few fillets marinading in a miso dressing. Tonight I'll broil that, and make sticky rice and a small salad.

Tuesday night will be salmon with anchovy butter and a pasta side.

Comment

Cauliflower au gratin.

Steam a cauliflower til tender, drain, saving the water.

Put an egg sized lump of butter into a saucepan to melt, add a vegetable stock cube, two glops of mustard, a chopped onion, a chopped celery leaf or two, and a slpash of Tabasco. Heat and stir til the onion is tender, then add a heaping tablespoonful of flour, stir it around a bit, then slowly add about a pint of milk (I used goat's milk), stirring constantly, til smooth. Simmer for a time, stirring often, adding a bit more milk or the water from cooking the cauliflower if the sauce seems too thick.

Roughly chop up the cauliflower and put it into a baking pan or casserole dish, add chopped fried bacon or ham (optional, but good). Stir a cup or two of grated cheese into the sauce and pour over the cauliflower, then bake it in a rather hot over til bubbly and browned.

Before baking, you could also melt butter in a pan and fry breadcrumbs or croutons in the butter, stirring and turning til browned, then spread this over the sauce-topped cauliflower before baking. Or simply mix more grated cheese with breadcrumbs and top the casserole with it. Or simply sprinkle on more cheese.

Delicious and good for you...except it makes you fart all night.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                  Cauliflower au gratin.

Steam a cauliflower til tender, drain, saving the water.

Put an egg sized lump of butter into a saucepan to melt, add a vegetable stock cube, two glops of mustard, a chopped onion, a chopped celery leaf or two, and a slpash of Tabasco. Heat and stir til the onion is tender, then add a heaping tablespoonful of flour, stir it around a bit, then slowly add about a pint of milk (I used goat's milk), stirring constantly, til smooth. Simmer for a time, stirring often, adding a bit more milk or the water from cooking the cauliflower if the sauce seems too thick.

Roughly chop up the cauliflower and put it into a baking pan or casserole dish, add chopped fried bacon or ham (optional, but good). Stir a cup or two of grated cheese into the sauce and pour over the cauliflower, then bake it in a rather hot over til bubbly and browned.

Before baking, you could also melt butter in a pan and fry breadcrumbs or croutons in the butter, stirring and turning til browned, then spread this over the sauce-topped cauliflower before baking. Or simply mix more grated cheese with breadcrumbs and top the casserole with it. Or simply sprinkle on more cheese.

Delicious and good for you...except it makes you fart all night.

Above is exactly the way I make it but I don't use goat's milk. I also pop mine under the grill for the last few minutes to give it a crusty golden top. Susie is right about adding a bit of fried bacon, it just sets it off.

Comment

It's 101 degrees and I don't feel good and really don't feel like cooking. You guys were supposed to be my inspiration, but turn out to be a bunch of secret Food Network worthy chefs! Can I come for dinner at any of your houses?

Helen, your meals are so up my alley. I could eat PB&J or frozen pizza every night. That whole housewife thing really cramps my style. I thought boys could live off pizza forever?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

hi,tonight we had portugese sausage with cooked cabbage and rice and a lettuce and grape tomato salad and it was good. not sure what's for tomorrow's dinner?

Comment

Black bean chicken, noodles and a cup of Diet Coke from U Choice In.

Comment

hi,tonight,we're having cooked flank steak and we'll have rice and maybe a lettuce salad with maybe grape tomato's and my diet coke and my mom has her either water or wine.

Comment

Missed y'all since my last post!
                            Been busy the last several days, taking care of various business and family stuff...

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Ummm...can I be one of your cousins? PUH-LEEEEEEEZE!!!
                            Tutusue... we're all HT ohana! Isn't that BETTER?

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            Musubi - I'm sure if all of us just go outside, take a deep breath & then follow our noses & the scent of good food, we can find where you live! We'll just arrive on your doorstep and YOU WILL HAVE TO FEED US!!!!
                            With pleasure, anapuni808! Actually, I've often thought about seeking out quite a few of you in the same way, because I think we all share a common love of good food. I have this mental image of several of us passing like ships in the night, as we sniff out the tantalizing aromas of ono grinds!

*musubi sniffs the air and heads for anapuni's house... tutusue's house... cynsaligia's house...*

So anyway, tonight we have the fixings for "make your own burritos": soft flour tortillas, refried beans, browned & seasoned ground beef, some homemade pico de gallo, diced onions & tomatoes, sliced olives, shredded lettuce & cheese, sour cream & chile verde.

The pico de gallo is from a batch whipped up on Sunday afternoon... If I'd planned ahead, I would have also considered making the refried beans and chile verde at the same time. But we're taking the quick way out tonight by using Safeway Select Chile Verde and Rosarita Refried Beans.

And I'm ready for a nice, cold beer -- there should be some Heineken & Pyramid Pale Ale left in the fridge.
                            (I hope!)
                            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Blackend chicken pasta and a fruit punch from Dave & Busters.

Comment

Working...
                              X