This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's for Dinner - Chapter 5

Dinner was a private party at Crouching Lion Inn celebrating their first anniversary under the new ownership. Excellent buffet with a huge variety of food (the prime rib was ono!) and good entertainment and friends.
    Congratulations to Alan and Ewaldo!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Dinner was a private party at Crouching Lion Inn celebrating their first anniversary under the new ownership. Excellent buffet with a huge variety of food (the prime rib was ono!) and good entertainment and friends.
      Congratulations to Alan and Ewaldo!
      I was there too, as Alan is a very good friend of mine. My parents and I were sitting at the outside tables where they were serving complimentary wine and beer.

I wonder if I ran into you Likenui, without realizing it was you?
      Alan and Evaldo have done a great job with the restaurant and grounds surrounding it. The best I've seen it been in all the years I've known that place.

Comment

went on another waikiki date night with eric last night. first stop was the top of waikiki for their happy hour from 5-7 pm ($7 grey goose martinis & $7 pupus). totally enjoyable experience. we had the steak (spice rub, grilled perfectly med-rare, over a bed of grilled onions), the mushrooms (shiitakes stuffed w/crab...and too much breading. still, 7 mushrooms for $7 is a better deal than pearl's mushroom app which is $5 for 4 mushrooms, iirc) and the chicken (buffalo chicken in chicken cordon bleu style--breast stuffed w/blue cheese, lightly panko-ed and fried, laid over a buffalo-style sauce and served with an apple-celery slaw)--each $7 items on the "umami" pupu menu. we enjoyed three martinis: an orange grey goose straight (eric), the rising sun (orange flavored w/mint--very refreshing & our favorite) and the raspberry limoncello (a mistake for us, since we don't normally like raspberry flavored drinks--too reminiscent of cough syrup. however, if you're into raspberry or cherry alcohol drinks, it's a great choice). we finished off with the candy bar dessert--flourless chocolate cake covered in ganache (looks exactly like a chocolate candy bar) served alongside candied ginger and mac nuts plus vanilla bean ice cream. for the price ($10), it rivals my current favorite dessert--morton's lava cake. we also had two iced teas which were comped. between the service, the view (not as spectacular as hanohano's or the now-closed aaron's, but enjoyable, esp with the rotation of the restaurant) and food quality, it was a really great value and were pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed ourselves. we took a look a the dinner menu and were surprised to find a indo-latino shrimp and grits, steak on a hot rock, crab & ulu ravioli (yes, ulu!), and foie gras-duck pate-beef sliders with pear-pineapple relish. pacific rim, for sure, but not the way everyone else is doing it. we were also gratified to see a number of locals at the bar and eating dinner.

we walked around waikiki (looked for you again, auntie lynn, but didn't find you) and decided to check out twist at the hanohano room. if you haven't been to the hanohano room, they've revamped the menu and the decor. we went there for cocktails and ended up deciding to have a cheese and meat platter ($16, iirc) and two flights of wine ($13 each). honestly, we were very underwhelmed. yes, the wine flights were very well-priced but none of the six wines they offered were spectacular--they were just drinkable and inoffensive. the cheese platter, however, was an anathema. maybe we expected too much, having enjoyed cheese platters at both formaggio locations and brasserie du vin for about the same price. twist's version offered three cheeses (one was a brie, the other was a goat cheese, the last was a hard white cheese. none were described to us, obviously). each cheese serving was no bigger than 1" x 1 1/2" x 1 cm. there were two slices of a ham with a spicy rind (not a good choice for a cheese plate since it overwhelmed all the wines and the cheeses), four paper thin slices of a forgettable salami. additionally, each and came with a topping--the brie came with pimientos (ew), the goat with a cloyingly sweet fig preserve that's more at home on peanut butter toast than a cheese platter (ew again) and the hard cheese came with a salsa on top (good salsa but again...this is a cheese platter).

we took a peek at the dinner menu. every thing now is prix fixe, starting at $65 for three courses. nothing on the menu wowed us, particularly for the price. worse, there were items on the dinner menu that should have found its way on the cheese platter--prosciutto de parma, marcona almonds (loooove those) and if anything, looking at the cocktail and dinner menus, it's clear twist is definitely a revamp of, but no improvement over the old hanohano room--overpriced for the quality, with only the view and free parking for 4 hours (or $6 for 6-12 hours) to save them.

each of the bills at top of waikiki and twist were $55, including tip (we tipped about the same for both; both bartenders did a great job and we don't feel right penalizing the service for kitchen/management actions/decisions). twist left us feeling a bit robbed whereas ToW provided excellent value for the price. the way i would put it is this: if you want to make an impression just enough to get you laid, take your date to twist. if you want to make such an impression that your date forsakes all others, take your date to ToW.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
          I was there too, as Alan is a very good friend of mine. My parents and I were sitting at the outside tables where they were serving complimentary wine and beer. I wonder if I ran into you Likanui, without realizing it was you?
          Then I'm sure we saw each other, without knowing it. Darn! Would've been great to meet you. I was sitting inside with a group of friends, near where Benny Kai was playing, but was out in the courtyard a few times too.
          (Did you try that sheet cake they got from Ted's Bakery? Pure sugar. )
          And yes, I remember that you're a friend of Alan's, from some of Auntie Lynne's posts a year or so ago.

Alan and Evaldo have done a great job with the restaurant and grounds surrounding it. The best I've seen it been in all the years I've known that place.
          Agreed. They've done a good job repairing/restoring the building, plus the recent paint job. And they just made some improvements in the Kahana Room too. Nice job of the special decorations yesterday.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
            [...]the way i would put it is this: if you want to make an impression just enough to get you laid, take your date to twist. if you want to make such an impression that your date forsakes all others, take your date to ToW.
            Bwahaha!!! And, if you take your date to both...then what? DETAILS!!!

Comment

...the way i would put it is this: if you want to make an impression just enough to get you laid, take your date to twist. if you want to make such an impression that your date forsakes all others, take your date to ToW.
              Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Bwahaha!!! And, if you take your date to both...then what? DETAILS!!!
              revelatory impressions were made!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

revelatory impressions were made!
                Let the sunshine
                Let the sunshine in
                The sunshine in

Comment

The chef at ToW is so good! I used to go to the YWCA on Richards Street when he ran the cafe there - food was soooo good.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Noodles, black bean chicken, spring rolls and a cup of Diet Coke from U Choice In.

Comment

hi,last night,i had my sunnyside up egg on rice with the yolk on the rice and my mom had her mushroom omelette and tonight,we both had viel cutlet with rice and a vegetable salad and it was all good.

not sure what's for tomorrow's dinner?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Noodles, black bean chicken and a cup of Diet Coke from U Choice In.

Comment

hi last night,we had fried turkey with leftover viel cutlet with rice and bok choy and i had my diet pepsi and my mom had her wine and not sure whats for tomorrow's Dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                            hi,last night,i had my sunnyside up egg on rice with the yolk on the rice and my mom had her mushroom omelette and tonight,we both had viel cutlet with rice and a vegetable salad and it was all good.

not sure what's for tomorrow's dinner?

You are very respectful and I enjoy your recipes.

Comment

Grilled chicken, corn on the cob, cole slaw, dinner roll and a cup of Mountain Dew, followed by some chocolate chip cookies from KFC.

Comment

Hickory-smoked Spam and freshly picked collard greens. No dinner roll or biscuit, ain't got neither.

Comment

Working...
                                X