Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palin was for pulling the plug on Granny

before she was against it...

April 16th 2008, then Gov. Sarah Palin endorsed some of the same end of life counseling she now decries as a form of euthanasia. In a proclamation announcing “Healthcare Decisions Day,” Palin urged public facilities to provide better information about advance directives, and made it clear that it is critical for seniors to be informed of such options:

WHEREAS, Healthcare Decisions Day is designed to raise public awareness of the need to plan ahead for healthcare decisions, related to end of life care and medical decision-making whenever patients are unable to speak for themselves and to encourage the specific use of advance directives to communicate these important healthcare decisions. [...]

WHEREAS, one of the principal goals of Healthcare Decisions Day is to encourage hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, and hospices to participate in a statewide effort to provide clear and consistent information to the public about advance directives, as well as to encourage medical professionals and lawyers to volunteer their time and efforts to improve public knowledge and increase the number of Alaska’s citizens with advance directives.

WHEREAS, the Foundation for End of Life Care in Juneau, Alaska, and other organizations throughout the United States have endorsed this event and are committed to educating the public about the importance of discussing healthcare choices and executing advance directives.

Though this proclamation is now deleted from the Alaska governor’s website, it shows that Palin’s current fear-mongering is purely political. Palin is not the only conservative leader completely flip-flopping on this issue. Merely months ago, Gingrich too endorsed end of life counseling. At a conference in April of this year, Gingrich said advance directives can “save money” while also helping to “decrease the stress felt by caregivers.”
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Re: Palin was for pulling the plug on Granny

Republicans of conscience must be very embarrassed right about now by the "leaders" of their party.

Sarah Palin is despicable. She "double downed" on the death panel thing again today.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Do the Eskimo culture leave their weak and old out in the wilderness for a wild animal to eat in the cycle of nature? I saw that in a movie. I can't remember the title.

Comment

I wonder how much longer anyone is going to care what Sarah Palin thinks...
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Ho hum!!! Yet another example of a Sarah Palin flip-flop. Remember how she made a big deal about saying "Thanks, but no thanks" for the bridge that led to nowhere during the '08 presidential campaign, but was in support of that pork barrel project during her '06 gubernatorial run.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Republicans of conscience
            I sure wish they would speak with a louder voice, then - I know they still exist!

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Do the Eskimo culture leave their weak and old out in the wilderness for a wild animal to eat in the cycle of nature? I saw that in a movie. I can't remember the title.

I think that in certain cultures, in very cold climates, elderly folks who become hopelessly ill or weak will simply "go for a walk" out in the snow with the intent to freeze peacefully, to ease the burden upon their families. Wild animals tho, I dunno.
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                I sure wish they would speak with a louder voice, then - I know they still exist!

Exactly Leo, that's my point! I have many good friends who are Republicans of conscience. We have many good conversations, and I as a true liberal (with aq small 'L') change my mind from time to time based on their arguments. I don't understand why they just sit by idly. They need to take back control of their/our party

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                  Exactly Leo, that's my point! I have many good friends who are Republicans of conscience. We have many good conversations, and I as a true liberal (with aq small 'L') change my mind from time to time based on their arguments. I don't understand why they just sit by idly. They need to take back control of their/our party
                  I am a pretty-far-lefty myself, yet I value the perspective of conservatives - friends and strangers alike. This nation, this concept of democracy functions best when we have our own system of checks and balances upon each other. We keep each other from going too far in either direction, and need each other to find the common ground that includes the majority of our citizenry.

When we have honest debate, when we are willing to listen and give serious thought to the views of those who do not agree with us, and not just shout angry words "across the aisle" - we show the world what humans are capable of accomplishing. But we Americans have strayed far from that, and I fear that we can not find the way back.

Comment

Funny how the peoples of Germany, England, Canada, France, etc etc all seem so happy with their national health care systems. You'd think they'd be having riots and nationwide strikes to bring themselves the blessings of our US system.

I repeat the story about the guy who played Harry in the brilliant Harry & Louise ads that killed Hillary Clinton's campaign for national health care in the '90's: he developed an expensive disease. His insurance company dropped him. He died. And so it will be for so many who now blindly parrot the insurance company/Republican line against national health care.

Somebody should run "Sicko" on TV right about now. As Michael Moore says in the intro, it is NOT about the people who don't have health insurance, but about those who do, and how their lives have been destroyed or at least made incredibly costly and inconvenient and unhealthy by insurance company RATIONING Of Health Care. But that matters little. Just give people a slogan and they are happy. For a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                      Just give people a slogan....
                      I think the slogan Americans are having trouble with is "forced to comply."

Those three little words are some of the most Anti-American I can think of. It can be currently applied to Medicare (you try getting out of Medicare!!) It can also be applied to the taxation that is supposed to pay for the health care reform package.

No one wants to be forced.

jmho.

BTW, to stay on topic, I agree with matapule about Sarah Palin. That woman has problems. I believe she purposely misinterpreted (surprise!) the statements in the bill that would make insurance pay the doc for his time if he talks to you about end-of-life issues (currently a JCAHO requirement to address it when you are admitted to a hospital, and well addressed by cynsaligia in that other thread....)

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                        I think the slogan Americans are having trouble with is "forced to comply."

Where do those words appear?

It can be currently applied to Medicare (you try getting out of Medicare!!)
                        I'm on Medicare. It is optional for me. I can purchase private insurance if I like. But I am not inclined to do so since private insurance will cost me 4 or 5 times more for the same coverage I get with Medicare. And private insurance can drop me anytime they want if they think my care is too expensive for them to continue. Private insurance is the one that has the "death panel", deciding who they will cover and those they won't based on a "return on investment" decision. Medicare cannot and will not drop me as a client

It can also be applied to the taxation that is supposed to pay for the health care reform package.
                        Yes, Cyleet if you earn over $250K, your taxes will go up to support this legislation. If you earn $250K, your taxes will go up by $1,000 per year. If you earn $20M per year like some sports figures, entertainment figures, and insurance executives, your taxes might go up $50K per year.

No one wants to be forced.
                        I think it is ironic that the health care industry has persuaded a large number of middle class people to protest this legislation based on misinformation so that the health care industry can maintain their windfall profits. Talk about getting somebody else to do your dirty work, the health care industry takes the prize.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                          the statements in the bill that would make insurance pay the doc for his time if he talks to you about end-of-life issues
                          Well that is correct except the doctor doesn't make the decision to talk to you, YOU make the decision whether YOU want to talk to the doctor about end of life issues. Right now, that consultation is not covered by insurance. The proposed legislation will reimburse you (or the doctor) if YOU make the decision that YOU want the consultation.

I hope, Cyleet, you have a Durable Power of Attorney and Health Care Directive as I have. It is never too soon or too young to get that paper work in order. It is a gift to your loved ones. My mother did the loving thing for her family when she made all those tough end of life decisions for herself years ago. When she died a year ago, we, the survivors, were able to devout all our energy into grieving rather than trying to second guess and arguing about what our mother wanted when she was in her final coma.

Blessed Be

Comment

Forced to comply? Well, they take withholding taxes out of your pay and thats OK, especially if you are paying for a war you don't actually need to have. You have to stop at all red lights & stop signs, no problem there. Can't beat up your kids, at least in public. Even if you are a big corporation you can't dump cancer causing chemicals in the town drinking water just because its cheaper to do it that way. You can't even import heroin and sell it at the local high school. Complying isn't really such a big problem, is it? Its a nice, catchy slogan, it'll bring the people who get dropped by their insurance companies plenty of comfort when that time comes. It will all work itself out. No worries.
                            Last edited by Kalalau; August 17, 2009, 04:01 PM. Reason: additional details

Comment

American manufacturers are now at a competitive disadvantage because of the cost of health care. The cost of American health care adds about $1100 to the cost of every car built in the US but only about $100 to the cost of cars built in Canada and Japan. Lowering American health care costs with national health care would make our industries more competitive, that would increase employment and profits and that would increase the tax base making for lower taxes, lower inflation, increased services, etc. Insurance company executives are getting $1 Billion parting packages, it is absolutely ridiculous to sacrifice both the public health and the national economy to support outrageously high insurance company profits. Those profits are based largely on denying care, not providing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X