Foods You Don't Like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foods You Don't Like

We've discussed many "favorite" foods over the course of the years hear at HT. "Best Burger", "Best Hot Dog", "Best Mac' Salad", etc..

How about foods you DON'T like?

I personally know three or more people that avoid onions like the plague.

It's no secret I rather dislike cake, and am much more more favorable of pie.

I'm also not very fond of chocolate ice cream. Chocolate candy bars are great (and I must be in the mood for that as well), but chocolate ice cream? Pass.

What's interesting are those food we HATED as a kid, yet now adore as an adult. For me, that would be Cilantro, a.k.a. Chinese Parsley. I used to absolutely hate the stuff as a keiki. Now I can't get enough of it!

On my food blog, I recently posted a tidbit about Bitter Melon, known in Okinawa as Goya, where I provided a reader poll, where as it currently stands, a whopping 28% out of 60 voters voted "Bleck! (Bitter Melon) tastes horrible!". lol Too bad. That fruit is very good for your health. Ask anyone from Okinawa. Personally I love it, whether it's in the form of (Okinawan) Goya Chanpuru or (Filipino) Pinakbet. Yet I can understand not liking bitter melon if I were a keiki. It's certainly an acquired taste.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Foods You DON'T Like

Liver (altho' I like most pates) and cilantro come to mind as do most of the extreme cultural foods! That may have changed with my loss of smell and taste, however, 'cept for those extreme cultural foods. That's probably more a texture than a taste thingie tho'! The thought of frogs legs, sashimi and escargot used to nauseate me. Now I love them. Go figure. But...balut? Monkey brains? *gasp*

Then there's my eldest spawn who wouldn't touch eggs or fish when she was a kid. Now in her 40s, she still won't!

Pomai, I'll take your servings of chocolate ice cream. Yummm...

Comment

Sue, yup, liver is another no-no for me. Bleck. I'll pass on Pâté and Foie Gras (duck or goose liver) as well.

On the other hand, as far as innards, I LOVE local style tripe stew (cow's stomach lining). Smells like hell when it's cooking, but the finished dish is sooo good! Especially with a bowl of poi! Which reminds me of asking anyone here who DOESN'T LIKE POI? Not to worry, as that leaves more for us folks who love it!

Escargot on the other hand? O.K. deal. Although you love it now, I'll trade you my Chocolate Ice Cream dessert for your Escargot (smothered in clarified butter, garlic and parsley) appetizer. Hoo-yeah! LOVE Escargot!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Cannot stomach liver, but I like chicken livers--strange. Hated oatmeal as a child but like it now (I think Mama made it too plain.) I never did like head cheese, souse meat or brains, but I like eat Spam.

I can pretty much eat anything else I have tried. I am inclined to avoid some stuff I have seen on supermarket shelves and in restaurants here in Hawaii. But I am surely glad I tried poke!

Poi...well, I tried a little of the sour poi and think I like that better than fresh.
        Last edited by cyleet99; August 16, 2009, 04:46 PM. Reason: Addressing the poi issue....

Comment

LIVER, BRUSSELS SPROUTS, PEAS & Cottage Cheese! My mom used to insist we eat liver & onions & I would play I was sick - would rather go hungry than have to eat liver. It's no so much the taste but the smell and texture. It's funny because I love pate & liverwurst!

I've been pretty consistent - if I hated it as a child, I pretty much feel the same way now.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Liver of any kind especially foie gras, offal, lima beans, oysters, milk,veal .
            I like many of you it seems didn't like cilantro but now just LOVE it!

Comment

Re: Foods You Don't Like

I don't like curry.

Comment

Won't eat things that swim. It's like eating pets. Bobbing things are ok (big family joke - I'll eat shrimp, which I still insist bob through the water, not swim) Cows on the other hand are ugly and should be eaten. Just joking. In all reality, anything that was once alive better come as god intended - in little styrofoam trays wrapped in plastic. Otherwise there's no chance of me eating it. I'll eat (or at least try) any fruit or vegetable. Not big on hamburgers or chocolate, but I will eat either if it is served to me.

Comment

Not liking Cilantro is ok - nothing serious.

But, how can anyone NOT LIKE CHOCOLATE? I just don't understand that.
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Foie gras is delicious.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The only thing I ever really hated was watercress, but there’s a story behind that. When I was about three or four years old, I was a pretty sick kid and I visited a lot of medical practitioners (i.e. not necessarily western-style doctors). One remedy prescribed for me was watercress juice. So my mom would squeeze the bejesus out of a bunch of watercress to extract the juice, which amounted to about a jigger, but that was a jigger too much. And I had to drink it. It was horrible. Tasted like medicine. Throughout my childhood and high school years, I hated watercress. But after high school, and during/after college, I began visiting Korean bars (aka hostess bars). One of the pupus always available was a plate of watercress accompanied with a small dish of mayonnaise to dip it in. Slowly but surely I weaned myself of my watercress phobia and actually began to like it. Now I love it. Besides the aforementioned way of eating it, I think it is the best vegetable for pork tofu.

Now days, I can eat just about anything. There’s nothing I can think of that I really hate, though there are things I can do without ... like natto.

As for liver and pate, I love them, pate especially. I began to develop a liking for it when I first tasted Vietnamese sandwiches (bahn mi) from Ba-Le, their first restaurant in Chinatown. I think that was in the 80’s. Back then, just about all of their sandwiches (or at least their most popular) was slathered with pate. I loved it! Now days, I don’t think you can find any Ba-Le outlet that includes pate in their sandwiches. I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                        But, how can anyone NOT LIKE CHOCOLATE? I just don't understand that.
                        Likely due to a difference in hormone levels and balance between men and women.

Honoruru, you of all people, who I'm pretty sure you're Japanese, dislikes Natto?! Shame, shame, shame.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          Likely due to a difference in hormone levels and balance between men and women.
                          Hmmmmm, last time I checked, I am a woman and I don't like chocolate. I even know other women who don't like it. Don't think its the hormones. Or maybe I'm just not balanced............. you never know.........

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                            Hmmmmm, last time I checked, I am a woman and I don't like chocolate. I even know other women who don't like it. Don't think its the hormones. Or maybe I'm just not balanced............. you never know.........
                            For some reason, I just knew that statement would get me in trouble.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              Honoruru, you of all people, who I'm pretty sure you're Japanese, dislikes Natto?! Shame, shame, shame.
                              Pomai, you're right. I am Japanese (actually Okinawan), but you'd be surprised how many Japanese/Okinawans don't really care for natto. On the other hand, I have a friend and former co-worker who is Japanese (very Japanese) and is "Hawaiian-at-heart" (she loves Hawaiian culture), but she can not stand to eat raw fish. Now THAT is sacrilegious! (No sashimi, no sushi, no poke!)

I have another co-worker who is Hawaiian, but she does not like Hawaiian food. We chide her about this (and so does her Father): "You're Hawaiian! How can you not like Hawaiian food?" Her reply: "It's too greasy!"

Comment

Working...
                              X