Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 127

Thread: Foods You Don't Like

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    I have to say that I am also a member of the anti-liver group, but that is most likely a result of only having eaten my mother's burnt liver and onions as a child. As I am typing this, the momory of that awful smell is coming back to me. It was so bad that I have refused to even try it again. Perhaps someday, but not yet.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    I've always hated cooked carrots. I like raw carrots, but the cooked variety literally makes me want to puke. I will actually gag. I wonder why?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Former resident of Ewa Beach
    Posts
    937

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
    I've always hated cooked carrots. I like raw carrots, but the cooked variety literally makes me want to puke. I will actually gag. I wonder why?
    My best friend is the same way! Maybe it's a texture thing? I don't like certain foods (Jello) just b/c of the texture. Nothing jiggly or slimey. I HATE slimey.

    Can't think of anything creative this time


  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    My best friend is the same way! Maybe it's a texture thing? I don't like certain foods (Jello) just b/c of the texture. Nothing jiggly or slimey. I HATE slimey.
    No, it's not the texture, because my friend insisted that I try her famous pureed carrot soup. I gagged after forcing down one sip. Kept gagging and tearing, just looking at the orange soupy mess. So weird. I should research my childhood, and see if there was any trauma associated with cooked carrots, hah.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    With carrots, it could also be the taste. When carrots get to a certain temperature point in cooking, the chemistry changes and the sugar comes out. They get sweet. I personally can't stand cooked carrots, just because of the taste. I don't mind them slightly sauteed but will pick them out of foods like stew.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    Sydney J. Harris

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kailua
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Awwwww, dang. Seriously, 2 days ago I thought we had too much fresh produce lying around the refridgerator, so I made carrot/peanut soup. I thought it was fantastic! I can't even imagine someone looking at that pureed orange goodness and thinking 'Yick!". I simmered the onions on low for an hour, and did the same w the carrots. It was so sweet and tasty!

    I also have that 'texture' issue. One more thing I won't eat - gummy anything! Bears, worms, beans, rolls, fruits, whatever. Gross.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kihei -currently away at school in NY
    Posts
    734

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    I love tomatoes in any form - except for tomato juice. Ugh! It's definitely the texture. Can't get past it.

  8. #58

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    A solution would be to starve yourself until you'll eat anything.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    whever i wan
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Long rice.. I can't stand the look of its transparency. I dont like the texture at all. I LOVE noodles but these I just cannot seem to get past the aesthetics. There is this korean beef soup I love which features long rice, and they just sit in the bottom of my bowl untouched.
    n'importe

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    whever i wan
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
    Awwwww, dang. Seriously, 2 days ago I thought we had too much fresh produce lying around the refridgerator, so I made carrot/peanut soup. I thought it was fantastic! I can't even imagine someone looking at that pureed orange goodness and thinking 'Yick!". I simmered the onions on low for an hour, and did the same w the carrots. It was so sweet and tasty!

    I also have that 'texture' issue. One more thing I won't eat - gummy anything! Bears, worms, beans, rolls, fruits, whatever. Gross.
    I love carrot soup. I turned someone on here to Carrot juice mixed with Orange juice. She could not even imagine those two together until she tried it. Now she is hooked.
    n'importe

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    My favorite juicing mix is carrot, apple and beet. It's better than a milkshake. Makes me wish I had a juicer again! Never cared for the all green juices, tho'.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Former resident of Ewa Beach
    Posts
    937

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Eww, I don't like gummy either. Or peaches. I forgot peaches. (I had a traumatic experience with a Mrs. Baird's Peach Pie and my sister learning how to drive on a hot day) The gummy made me remember those gross Gummy Peach Rings. EXTRA NASTY!

    Can't think of anything creative this time


  13. #63

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    (I had a traumatic experience with a Mrs. Baird's Peach Pie and my sister learning how to drive on a hot day)
    Heh, sounds like this could be a really interesting story!
    (like the kind of story I think of when I hear the words "red ryder" and "bb gun")

    I wouldn't want you to relive any traumatic experiences, though...
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    817

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Story true tale. We had to slice the fish and drink the fresh water from them. Anybody want to join the Brit navy ?

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Story true tale. We had to slice the fish and drink the fresh water from them. Anybody want to join the Brit navy ?
    Matapule make all Bloody Maria wit clam juice. Matapule uaifi say no lik clam juice, bud no neber try. Matapule say it tas good. Uaifi say kden, I mak one try. Uaifi say, !oiaue! matapule, it tas good in Bloody Maria. Now uaifi want one Bloody Maria wit clam juice wiki wiki ebry Sunday morning.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Former resident of Ewa Beach
    Posts
    937

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by musubi View Post
    Heh, sounds like this could be a really interesting story!
    (like the kind of story I think of when I hear the words "red ryder" and "bb gun")

    I wouldn't want you to relive any traumatic experiences, though...
    I got stuffed into the hatchback of an '88 Ford Escort after school one day. My mom handed me a Mrs. Baird's Peach Pie, then drove my sister out to an old road to let her practice driving. I was eight and so was able to lie down in the "trunk" and was staring up at those little black stripes they used to paint on the back windshields of cars, probably trying to count them. It was a really warm day and no AC could get back to that part of the car.

    The peach pie had a sugar glaze on it and I hadn't eaten much lunch, so it wasn't sitting too well. But at 8, you don't think about those things. I figured I was just hungry so I kept at it. My sister was trying to grasp the complexities of braking and the car kept moving and stopping abruptly.

    And I kept staring at those stupid vertical lines on the ceiling. Try it sometime while in a moving vehicle. I dare you. You will have a headache in about 20 seconds.

    I think I lasted about five minutes before I jumped over the back seat and sat on the curb for the rest of the driving lesson. Ugh. And my dad laughed about how my sister drove so bad so made me sick for YEARS.

    Can't think of anything creative this time


  17. #67
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like: V8 Vegetable Juice

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Matapule make all Bloody Maria wit clam juice. Matapule uaifi say no lik clam juice, bud no neber try. Matapule say it tas good. Uaifi say kden, I mak one try. Uaifi say, !oiaue! matapule, it tas good in Bloody Maria. Now uaifi want one Bloody Maria wit clam juice wiki wiki ebry Sunday morning.
    Trying my best to comprehend what you're saying here: something about making a Bloody Mary with Clam Juice. I can see that. I love the flavor of the clam juice the minced clams are canned with. Good stuff! I always use some of the clam juice whenever making clam dip. Really gives it a "clammy" boost!

    Yet I really don't care for the original tomato-based V8 Vegetable Juice. Bleck. Even in Bloody Mary form, no thanks.

    I love vegetables and tomatoes, including tomato-based dishes, but V8 Vegetable Juice? A big, 100% PASS.

    On the other hand, those V8 Fusion fruit juices are mighty tasty.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever I am, I'm there
    Posts
    3,198

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like: V8 Vegetable Juice

    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    something about making a Bloody Mary with Clam Juice. I can see that. I love the flavor of the clam juice the minced clams are canned with. Good stuff!
    Das it, brah, only in Mexico we call Bloody Maria caus have hot salsa in it an fresh lime juice, an some stuff call Tequila. Matapule uaifi lik knock um down.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

    People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    the hills of Kalihi
    Posts
    946

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Oh, I was reminded. I, too, don't like chicken long rice. Not a question of it being slimey (altho it certainly is). I like stewed okra which is _very_ slimey.

  20. #70

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    I am Japanese (actually Okinawan), but you'd be surprised how many Japanese/Okinawans don't really care for natto.
    The AFK is with you on that; she's a pretty adventurous eater, but won't eat natto - and she's Japanese/Okinawan.

    I, on the other hand, am quite a picky eater, but have learned to try more (to me) unusual foods over the years. I dislike most vegetables, I fear, and won't eat most non-fish seafoods (shrimp, lobster, shellfish, etc.) I'm allergic to mushrooms, but that's okay, as I don't like them either.

    Foods I loved as a kid but can't abide now: watermelon, banana, pea soup.

    I do like vegetables that have been pickled (tsukemono), I like poi now, and wrote a story about my experiences trying ahi poke for the first time, which was published earlier this year and is now available online here.

  21. #71

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by musubi View Post
    The only form of liver I've ever eaten but don't particularly care for is ake (raw liver, Hawaiian style).
    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    You no can be matapule, brah! Fo'i'ati loli mean "swee lil gurlfren." Yum yummy!
    matapule, AFAIC you stay da one and only matapule on HT!

    You da "talking chief" ova us guys who no mo' stomach for fo'i'ati loli, foa shua!
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

  22. #72

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like: V8 Vegetable Juice

    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Matapule make all Bloody Maria wit clam juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    Trying my best to comprehend what you're saying here: something about making a Bloody Mary with Clam Juice. I can see that. I love the flavor of the clam juice the minced clams are canned with. Good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by matapule View Post
    Das it, brah, only in Mexico we call Bloody Maria caus have hot salsa in it an fresh lime juice, an some stuff call Tequila. Matapule uaifi lik knock um down.
    Hooo, matapule... those Bloody Marias sound ono!

    I used to enjoy Bloody Marys made with Mott's Clamato juice, which was a bottled blend of tomato juice and clam broth. I had forgotten all about it until reading your post!

    According to the Wikipedia entry, I guess Mott's Clamato is still in production. Apparently other generic tomato-clam beverages can also be found on the grocer's shelf.

    Although Mott's predominant products are apple-based today, I seem to remember other juices and nectars under the Mott's label (back in the old days). The only one I didn't like was their Apricot Nectar; I remember the consistency as being quite thick and difficult to swallow.
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

  23. #73

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    OMG, sg-- I knew it would not end well as soon as I got to THIS part:

    Quote Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
    ...I was eight and so was able to lie down in the "trunk" and was staring up at those little black stripes they used to paint on the back windshields of cars, probably trying to count them. It was a really warm day and no AC could get back to that part of the car.


    ...I can totally understand your aversion to peaches after that!
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windward Side of Oahu
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    I can't stand cake or pie. (I didn't eat my wedding cake, ha!) Even Apple Napples. That crusty stuff drives me crazy. Blah.

    And I gag when I'm near Natto.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,596

    Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Oh, I was reminded. I, too, don't like chicken long rice. Not a question of it being slimey (altho it certainly is). I like stewed okra which is _very_ slimey.
    I can understand folks not liking long rice (Chinese bean thread noodles) mainly because of its slippery-slimy texture. Flavor-wise, it's actually flavorless in and of itself, only taking on whatever sauce or broth it's cooked in - which would be ginger-infused chicken broth in the case of Chicken Long Rice.

    I once mentioned that a strategy for eating the slippery noodles might be to slurp them up using a large-diameter "bubble drink" straw. But I imagine that would taste even more GROSS to those who dislike Chicken Long Rice noodles to begin with.

    Here I attempt to eat a bowl of Chicken Long Rice using also-slippery Melamine plastic (simulated Ivory) Chinese Chopsticks...


    Chicken Long Rice

    For those who don't like Chicken Long Rice, I imagine you also don't care for Jook...


    Turkey Jook (Congee, a.k.a. rice porridge)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •