Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Foods You Don't Like

Default Re: Foods You Don't Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    OK, deal then. I'll trade you my plain M&Ms for your peanuts.
    Deal!

Ham. Just can't eat it anymore.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Default Q - What does the word scone mean?

A - BAD DONUT

While we're on the subject of donuts, what is, or was the big deal a few years back when Crisy Creme was opening stores in Hawaii? Everybody was all aflutter about this supposed incredibly great new donut coming to the islands.
    I've yet to see any evidence than these donuts are merely some of the most ordinary, bordering on bland donuts ever made.
    Compared to the Winchell's Donuts I grew up with, even the plain cake donut they served was infinitely better than the overly vaunted Crispy Creme, especially if they aren't eaten very fresh.
    You could let any Winchell's donut sit for day's and it was still great.

Maybe it was just that Hawaii hadn't seen a REAL donut in a long time.

Default Re: Foods You Don't Like - Bitter Melon

Here's another fruit many may find offensive in flavor: the Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya (as in Okinawan Goya Chanpuru), a.k.a. Ampalaya (as would be used in Filipino Pinakbet)...

Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya, a.k.a. Ampalaya

What must be noted are the incredible medicinal benefits Bitter Melon is reputedly known for, especially in treating diabetes and digestive problems to cancer provention. Native Okinawans statistically have the longest lifespan in the world, and surely their diet, which includes Goya, contributes to that.

I for one, LOVE Goya. Mo' bittah, da' bettah'!

I had bittermellon raw for the first time last Sunday at the bazaar at the Thai Buddhist Temple of Hawaii. Have to say I was not a fan at all. It was extremely bitter w/o any other redeeming flavors that I could discern (as opposed to some beers, chocolates, etc).

Also forgot to mention that I don't like any sweets at all which I suppose is pretty odd. Chocolates, candies, cakes, cookies, ice cream...don't care for any of them
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    Also forgot to mention that I don't like any sweets at all which I suppose is pretty odd. Chocolates, candies, cakes, cookies, ice cream...don't care for any of them
    What planet are you from?

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Natto. Tastes and smells like Mastik. Could probably be used as mastik.

Some people love it, I don't.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Default Re: Q - What does the word scone mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    A - BAD DONUT

While we're on the subject of donuts, what is, or was the big deal a few years back when Crisy Creme was opening stores in Hawaii? Everybody was all aflutter about this supposed incredibly great new donut coming to the islands.
    I've yet to see any evidence than these donuts are merely some of the most ordinary, bordering on bland donuts ever made.
    Compared to the Winchell's Donuts I grew up with, even the plain cake donut they served was infinitely better than the overly vaunted Crispy Creme, especially if they aren't eaten very fresh.

Danny Dunn would make for a great donut company or was it Homer Price
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 10th, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

I don't like sticky rice.

Default Must be from Venus

Quote Originally Posted by Sharilyn View Post
    All those sweets would melt quick on any planet close to the sun. Probably favors his meats papa'a.

I used to loooooove all of them growing up. Now it's not that I think they're gross or anything...I would just much rather eat something else or nothing at all. I think I kind of conditioned myself to consider the calories behind these foods and weigh something sweet vs something I love (meat and cheese kind of things). I'll go for a day old slice of pepperoni pizza every time over the most scrumptious piece of cake you can imagine.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Responding to this post by StinkyTheGrump:

My best bet is he's from Mars, and you're from Venus.

Was watching Food Network this weekend, when Sandra Lee brought up one of her childhood favorites: S'MORES. BLECK! Cough. Cough.

The combination of Marshmallows and Chocolate for me is a NO-NO. Which also makes ROCKY ROAD ICE CREAM on my LEAST FAVORITE Ice Cream flavor list. PASS.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
    I used to loooooove all of them growing up. ... I think I kind of conditioned myself to consider the calories behind these foods and weigh something sweet vs something I love (meat and cheese kind of things). I'll go for a day old slice of pepperoni pizza every time over the most scrumptious piece of cake you can imagine.
    Wow!, I completely agree, and I couldn't have expressed it better. I like white chocolate truffles, for example, but I'd rather eat more real food that I love, and pass on the dessert foods that I don't really care for so much.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

The combination of Marshmallows and Chocolate for me is a NO-NO. Which also makes ROCKY ROAD ICE CREAM on my LEAST FAVORITE Ice Cream flavor list. PASS.
    OOOOO! Send it all my way...love love love that combo. My father-in-law and I used to enjoy all those marshmallow eggs with chocolate coating at Easter and the santas at Christmas. Now I eat a couple in his honor every year.

Now, back to the topic at hand...I do not like veal. One of the very few things I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Danny Dunn would make for a great donut company or was it Homer Price
    It was Homer Price, Scholastic Books, thanks for the memory Craig!
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Angry Re: Foods You Don't Like

BEETS. I couldn't stand to have the juice "contaminate" my rice and everything else on the plate at family restaurants like FLAMINGO, COLUMBIA INN, and LIKELIKE. So I learned to ask what the vegetable was before ordering..

sansei Guest

Red face Re: Foods You Don't Like

my least favorite food's.one is pea's and the other is brussell sprout's and the other is corn from the can and fresh corn,it make's me feel not so good.i dislike green bean's only if it's cooked in tempura batter with carrot's,that's the only way i'll eat it and wasabi on sushi it's not so good. those are my least favorite food's.

Well thank's for your time

Quote Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
    Now, back to the topic at hand...I do not like veal. One of the very few things I don't like.
    One of the best restaurant meals I've had this year was the Wisconsin Veal Chop at Le Bistro in Niu Valley. Even my three fellow dining companions thought it was the best entree of the night!

I'm feeling a little bit like the odd man out on this thread, because I keep reading the posts and thinking: "hmmm... i eat this... and i eat that... and that... and that..."

Finally thought of something I don't particularly like: the japanese pickled vegetable known as takuan. Nobody can ever accuse me of takuan fut because I don't eat the stuff.
    To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Quote Originally Posted by musubi View Post
    Finally thought of something I don't particularly like: the japanese pickled vegetable known as takuan.
    But takuan goes so well with Musubi!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    A - BAD DONUT

No, it's not just Hawaii. They opened Krusty Kreme down here like ten years ago and everyone when all nuts over them. Why? They taste like $%^! Give me a Dunkin Donut any day of the week. Krusty Kreme donuts come in glaze (I've heard rumors of chocolate, but have yet to see one), and they sort of sink into themselves if left sitting for more than an hour. Plus they're too sweet and leave a sugary residue on everything.

People around here finally wised up, because Dunkin Donuts is back. I've seen four since we moved back. There used to be two in the whole city! Up North, they are on every corner! Why? Because Yankees know the goodness of a Boston Creme!

Can't think of anything creative this time

And what's really cool, is while recently cruising my old stomping grounds of Maywood + (S/E LA) on the neat google satellite, my lil old Winchell's Donut shop was still there! Big maple bars, super glazed donuts covered thick with coconut, and raspberry filled sugar bombs (like malasadas only WAY better) were breakfast half the time. You can blame them for what I am today
    Thank you Winchell's!

I'm not a fan of Christmas fruitcakes or Candy Canes.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I'm not a fan of Christmas fruitcakes or Candy Canes.
    I really think that fuitcakes are around purely because of the novelty.

Another "trend" that my mom has latched on to is sending me a Panatonne. I am sick of it, never liked it, and never will. As an on going joke between mom and I, I send the one she sends me for the holiday to her on her Birthday, she sends it to me on MY b-day, so on and so forth.

She FINALLY sent something different this year, a Babka. OMG SO GOOD! A super dense, but amazingly light in texture/mouth feel, sweet bread, marbled with a swirl of brown sugar and cinnamon, and a copious amount of a strussle like topping.
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

I personally love fruit cakes!! however, peas are my most hated food - since I was a child. I pick the peas out of fried rice among other things.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345