Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foods You Don't Like: V8 Vegetable Juice

Originally posted by musubi View Post
    According to the Wikipedia entry, I guess Mott's Clamato is still in production.
    I could hardly believe it when I saw it in Costco this week. A big 'ol section of clamato juice!
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Re: Foods You Don't Like

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      For those who don't like Chicken Long Rice, I imagine you also don't care for Jook...

Turkey Jook (Congee, a.k.a. rice porridge)
      Im one who does not like long rice, but I absolutely LOVE Jook. It's not the rice, or porridge effect that I dislike,it's simply (in my opinion) the slimy, sticky, transluscent efffect of those noodles. I'm a texture and visual person, and long rice rubs me the wrong way.
      n'importe

Comment

Re: Foods You Don't Like - Bitter Melon

Here's another fruit many may find offensive in flavor: the Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya (as in Okinawan Goya Chanpuru), a.k.a. Ampalaya (as would be used in Filipino Pinakbet)...

Bitter Melon, a.k.a. Goya, a.k.a. Ampalaya

What must be noted are the incredible medicinal benefits Bitter Melon is reputedly known for, especially in treating diabetes and digestive problems to cancer provention. Native Okinawans statistically have the longest lifespan in the world, and surely their diet, which includes Goya, contributes to that.

I for one, LOVE Goya. Mo' bittah, da' bettah'!
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

One of my first ventures to the Waialua Farmer's Market; I picked up one of those knobby looking squash and asked what it was....the lady said, "Beetermelon." I then asked her what it tasted like......

She looked confused, tilted her head to the side, and said "Beeter!"

I have yet to try it.

Comment

What does 'scones' mean?

Bad donut.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Aww, I love scones! I have some great receipes.

Ooh, but here's another one that's related. Marmalade. Eww! Or any jelly besides grape or apple...and only then in very small quanities. And clotted cream isn't a favorite.

Pulp-y orange juice is gross too.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

SG, I guess you wouldn't like candied grapefruit peel, either.

I don't know if I would like clotted cream. I just found out I do like buttermilk!

Comment

I'm just sitting here, quietly chuckling to myself about all our individual food fetishes/dislikes and wondering where they come from. For myself, my mom was a lousy cook - everything was either boiled to death or fried to a crisp. and all our veggies were from cans. This happens when you grow up in the Midwest where you can only get fresh for a few months a year. But, since living in Hawaii my food horizons have broadened and I love many things now that I hated as a kid.

(Except for liver & brussels sprouts & peas - those will never change!)
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

It appears liver is the #1 dislike so far!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      It appears liver is the #1 dislike so far!
                      Tripe might be a close #2. Yuck. (Cow guts .... uggh, why eat stuff like that...)
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I just remembered, I hate ginger candy.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          I'm just sitting here, quietly chuckling to myself about all our individual food fetishes/dislikes and wondering where they come from. For myself, my mom was a lousy cook - everything was either boiled to death or fried to a crisp. and all our veggies were from cans.
                          Ah, my Mom was/is a lousy cook, too. She always overcooked everything, and our veggies were usually frozen peas and carrots, or frozen corn. Ick. If she tried, she could make a decent meal, but it just didn't interest her.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            I'm just sitting here, quietly chuckling to myself about all our individual food fetishes/dislikes and wondering where they come from. For myself, my mom was a lousy cook - everything was either boiled to death or fried to a crisp. and all our veggies were from cans. This happens when you grow up in the Midwest where you can only get fresh for a few months a year. But, since living in Hawaii my food horizons have broadened and I love many things now that I hated as a kid.
                            Like just about everything else reflecting our individual character, surely our experiences from childhood affect our likes and dislikes of various types of foods.

I have a friend who's parent's raised he and his siblings predominantly on fresh-caught fish. Now as an adult, he's so sick of fish (especially reef fish), he avoids it whenever possible.

Same for another (part-Filipino) friend who's parents only fed him Filipino food. He now avoids it as much as he can help it.

Same for me growing up with Chinese food, as whenever our family dined out, it was almost ALWAYS Chinese, either at Mui Kwai, or later, Kin Wah Chop Suey in Kaneohe. Because of that, to this day I'm psychologically burnt-out of that general "Chinese" flavor (no offense to you Chinese folks), save for select Dim Sum items.

Although in all these cases, here in Hawaii we're surrounded with these types of foods, so at one point or another we're destined to come across it... and eat it. It's unavoidable.

Rough life.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                              Tripe might be a close #2. Yuck. (Cow guts .... uggh, why eat stuff like that...)
                              'Cause tripe stew stay da kine ONOLICIOUS, dat's why!

(I think Pomai & Auntie Lynn will back me up on this one...)

To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

For the holidays, you can have the eggnog and fruitcake.

Comment

Working...
                                X