KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Ratings begin Thursday, October 29 and end Wednesday, November 25 - day before T'giving, which is/was always thought to skew any numbers.

Comment

We did our usual: 5:00PM KITV, 5:30PM KGMB, 6:00PM KGMB, 6:30PM KHET or whatever the call sign is for PBS.

It was a little disconcerting to be told "more news at 6:30PM on KFVE" by the crew on KGMB. And I recognize that the move to the new set is exciting for the anchors/reporters, but we don't need to be told about it on every newscast.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

• Re: HawaiiNewsNow.com website

Meh.

I find the web site BORING to visit. The only good thing about it is the streaming web newscast, but I didn't like the player they're using (prefer the LiveStream from the old KGMB9.com website).
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Are they showing a president's speech when channels 7 and 8 are broadcasting the same thing at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I have been very disappointed with KGMB today. and also with Direct TV satellite. Starting with trying to watch Sunrise this morning & finding nothing but infomercials. Then, trying to find a news broadcast tonite and getting a message on the screen apologizing for nothing being on. I don't know if this is a problem with the stations or with Direct TV but I'm really not a happy camper! Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow nite so I can watch my programs!

and if anyone is reading this from KGMB? - I watched Ch. 4 news tonite and you may just have lost a viewer here!
            It is quite possible that Direct TV was notified of the change to the channel line-up. I suspect they are picking up the OTA broadcast tower signals and re-transmitting that.

Which means sometime early this morning (after 12AM) KFVE and KGMB switched channels with KGMB's programs all moving to 5.1 digital and KFVE's programs all moving to 9.1 digital.

For people with OTA or with a service that did not change the channels for you, you got the infomercials early in the morning that show on KFVE on Channel 9 or whatever the channel Direct TV uses to show Channel 9. Sunrise went to the channel that showed KFVE the day before.

The changeover was seamless on Oceanic Cable. KGMB and KFVE were still in their regular places this morning when I checked the news. I have both Oceanic Cable analog and over the air digital, so I checked in both places.

So in recap...

KFVE is now on 9.1 digital

KGMB is now on 5.1 digital

BTW, don't ask me what the real channels are because they are on UHF and not even the numbers I listed above. Don't worry about this.

Check with Direct TV where those channels went in their line-up.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I watched 3 of the 4 KGMB/KHNL newscasts this afternoon. 5 PM 530 and 6PM. If you are willing to flip channels in the 5 - 7 pm block you can get 2 hours of local news from different channels, but the same news source... so you are bound to see some of the same content repeat over and over.

Meanwhile the Shared Services agreement has allowed KGMB and KHNL to not compete head to head with their national evening news. KGMB CBS News airs at 5:30 on KGMB and KHNL's NBC News aired at 6:00 pm.

By the time 6:30 rolled around I ended up just watching a Seinfeld re-run on KITV. Too much KGMB/KHNL news in one day... Oh and I did not bother watching the 9pm KFVE News.... I was on YouTube.

At 10 for the first time in ages, I watched Joe Moore and the Channel 2 News. They finished early enough so when I turned to KGMB they were on a commercial, but KHNL still had the news on. Even though the 2 channels say they are simulcasting the 10PM news there is a time lag between the 2 simulcasts.

KHNL seemed to have padded their 10 pm news with more commercials than KGMB because their news finished at around 10:36... well um.. its the same news, but I think KGMB was done while KHNL was still wrapping up.

After that both Letterman and Conan seemed to start at the same time.
              Last edited by mel; October 26, 2009, 10:59 PM.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Swore Liz Chun's sports segment was cut on the KHNL feed to commercials, then Conan OBrien, was there a sign-off at all on the KHNL end tonight at the close of the 10pm news? I realize with new changes there will be confusion and complaints.

Regarding the new Hawaiinewsnow website I've not seen a news station website or email to staff lacking the traditional call letters before, exceptions would be KNBC in Los Angeles which is http://www.nbclosangeles.com/ as many of the top NBC market stations have gone to that format.

Aj
                Last edited by Kalihiboy; October 26, 2009, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Comments are up now and most are not favorable at all, and they are quite scathing. Hopefully the comments will remain for all to see and will be taken under consideration:

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=11386783#

Comment

Erika Engle covers the switchover in today's Star Bulletin.

Joint newscasts launch with technical glitches

The newly combined news operations of KGMB-TV and KHNL/KFVE-TV launched new news programming with new branding, some new anchors, a completed call-letter swap and the technical glitches that are typical in any such situation.

The opposition to the stations' shared services agreement also has moved forward at the Federal Communications Commission, whose Media Bureau has begun an investigation.
                    Read the entire article by cllcking on the title or this link.

Coverage of the simulcast in today's Advertiser:

Merged news team launches simulcast
                    Last edited by mel; October 27, 2009, 05:49 AM.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I was dial-switching last night between the ten o'clock newscasts on KGMB and KHNL. Liz Chun's sports report was indeed cut off on KGMB before the end - presumably to get Letterman on the air "on time." As AJ observes, the KHNL version continued to conclusion. I'm guessing it has something to do with automating the breaks? I'm sure it will be better-coordinated along the way.

Comment

The Honolulu Advertiser had a poll up yesterday asking "With today's launch of the KGMB9 and KHNL merger, which TV news station will you watch?"

To see the results follow this link and scroll down.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/section/pollarchive

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          Comments are up now and most are not favorable at all, and they are quite scathing. Hopefully the comments will remain for all to see and will be taken under consideration:

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=11386783#
                          Only five comments now, one of which is:
                          Hey, what happened to all the comments here? Hmm, they were critical of the new Hawaii News Now... and now they're gone. So THAT'S how this new news operation is going to operate.

Comment

Can someone explain why the Channel 5 and 9 swaps? Still doesn't make any sense. And how has it impacted the satellites on the neighbor islands?

Comment

Perhaps Hawaii News Now needs to have someone at the computer desk 24-7to keep removing the comments not in their favor.

Can't hide from the nasty online comments in both papers sections on articles tied to the merger story.

After one day I didn't think the outcry would be this bad, that some people would be patient and usually you have the typical short blog comments to ignore. But many of the one's posted are worth reading because they are very critical of what is happening.

I think to avoid confusion maybe they should have kept the KHNL set for KHNL news staff that people are familiar with. I realize that is only 4 people, but the reporters can switch back and forth. So when you tuned into KHNL you would have the old set intact, then for KGMB they could have done whatever they wanted to because they had to move anyways. What I'm getting at is maybe the station branding as one is not the best idea and everything should have been kept intact under the same building, they still keep who they want, but the sets remain the same, would this have been legal to do?

I'm clearly not speaking for anyone, but I don't think we like change. A grocery store closing in New York or Atlanta would not have made the news yesterday like it did with Star Markets closure in Moiliili, car crashes, freeway delays caused by ___FILL IN THE BLANK all are major news topics here, but wouldnt be anywhere else. Sure we got used to the FOX/NBC switch with KHNL/KHON many years ago, but this is different to me, I guess the ratings will reflect things in the near future.

Aj

Comment

Right KalihiBoy -- there are plenty of duopolies around the country that share the same newsteam. But they know well enough to still brand those two stations separately (like KCBS/2 and KCAL/9 in Los Angeles). It's all the more strange to drop all branding and channel positioning when you've got two separate major networks.
                                Imagine the confusing conversations now:

"What station airs CBS shows?"
                                --"Hawaii Now."

"OK, so what station airs NBC shows?"
                                --"Hawaii Now."

"Wait, it airs both networks?"
                                -- "No, Hawaii Now runs NBC shows. And the OTHER Hawaii Now runs CBS shows."

"Oh, OK. Wait, huh???"

Comment

Working...
                                X