Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Comments are up now and most are not favorable at all, and they are quite scathing. Hopefully the comments will remain for all to see and will be taken under consideration:
    My take is that KHON has the Michael Jordan of local tv news in Joe Moore. So they get the gold medal.
    KITV has broadcasters who know their roles by passing the ball around, setting picks for the high percentage shots, and then crashing the boards for the easy put backs. They get the silver medal.
    KGMB did the Bradgelina thing by trying a dream team approach with stars who play the same position. It's too early for any chemistry yet, but they will take a lot of shots in this run & gun offense. So, they get the bronze medal for now, but they will be dangerous at the end of the season.

Comment

never having been one for television, I am in the gym in the mornings and get my pick of morning news when on the treadmill. I prefer KITV. The local team is smooth (Dan and Mahealani) and I really like the interspersions with Diane Sawyer&Co.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        never having been one for television, I am in the gym in the mornings and get my pick of morning news when on the treadmill. I prefer KITV. The local team is smooth (Dan and Mahealani) and I really like the interspersions with Diane Sawyer&Co.
        Enjoy Diane Sawyer in the mornings while you can, she'll be taking over for Charles Gibson in January I believe. Had the pleasure of meeting Gibson and sitting in his office at ABC News in NY just after the election last fall.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Perhaps Hawaii News Now needs to have someone at the computer desk 24-7to keep removing the comments not in their favor.
          Perhaps someone should post a link on their site back to this message thread that spans 272+ posts.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            My take is that KHON has the Michael Jordan of local tv news in Joe Moore. So they get the gold medal.

Never in a million lifetimes I would equate Joe Moore to Michael Jordan. Nor put them together in one praising sentence.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post

Never in a million lifetimes I would equate Joe Moore to Michael Jordan. Nor put them together in one praising sentence.
              I don't think equating the two in terms of talent was intended; rather that each has similar impact in his own milieu.

Maybe you'd prefer to think of Joe as the 800-lb gorilla of Honolulu television news?

(Which wouldn't speak well of local news in my opinion, but there you go.)
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                I agree. For one thing, I don't believe that Michael Jordan was ever accused of plagiarizing a play that he allegedly wrote, as Joe Moore was a few years ago. Whatever happened to all that, anyway?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

So I set my DirectTV DVR to record the 5pm KGMB newscast. When I went to watch it (and it even was listed in the on screen channel guide) I found myself watching America's Funniest Videos.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                    I don't think equating the two in terms of talent was intended; rather that each has similar impact in his own milieu.[...]
                    That's how I read it, too. Otherwise it woulda been an apples and oranges comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      I agree. For one thing, I don't believe that Michael Jordan was ever accused of plagiarizing a play that he allegedly wrote, as Joe Moore was a few years ago. Whatever happened to all that, anyway?
                      Sounds like a question for the Star-Bulletin's "Whatever Happened To..." feature!

You can write us at What Ever Happened to... , Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana, Suite 7-210, Honolulu 96813; call 529-4747; or e-mail cityeditors@starbulletin.com.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        John Berger writes:

Joe Moore's controversial "Dirty Laundry" was a hit at the Hawaii Theatre in April despite allegations that he had plagiarized dialogue from a 1986 TV movie. Moore acknowledged before the show opened that he had used the same basic plot of an anchorman's conflict with a station manager over coverage of a story, but a comparison of the movie and play showed that he had not stolen dialogue.

Source:

http://archives.starbulletin.com/200...es/story1.html

Comment

I posted an earlier link to Dicus blog that didn't work because the old kgmb.com doesn't work anymore, now try this link as several Hawaii News Now staff have posted blogs. Here is Howard's who has posted from time to time on HT in the past:

http://blogs.hawaiinewsnow.com/howard/

Comment

I was near the KGMB building on Kapiolani today and there is a ton of activity going on.

Lots of huge moving trucks with people taking stuff out of the bldg and into the trucks.

Even the KGMB and 9 symbols are still on the building.

So sad knowing that very soon, all of that incredible history will be just a memory.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                              [...]
                              So sad knowing that very soon, all of that incredible history will be just a memory.
                              Sad, indeed. When I decided to move to Hawaii from SoCal, I was told by a mainland friend to check in with Phil Arnone at KGMB. That was the first stop I made on that scouting trip. 1978. The most incredible history left a few months ago. Anita.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Sad, indeed. When I decided to move to Hawaii from SoCal, I was told by a mainland friend to check in with Phil Arnone at KGMB. That was the first stop I made on that scouting trip. 1978. The most incredible history left a few months ago. Anita.
                                So true.

I am glad they gave Anita a proper send-off. They showed her a lot of respect and grattitude. Mr. Blangiardi and the rest of KGMB are to be thanked for that, I think.

As for the last newscast of KGMB at 10pm, that is a different matter and I am sure it was out of their hands.

There was a final video montage of KGMB's history, but in my opinion it really didn't do the station or it's employees past and present justice.

Such is life though.

Next chapter please.

Comment

Working...
                                X