KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Read Erika's Buzz, she keeps us up to date regarding this topic thread, which now has the Democratic Party of Hawaii on board:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ir_skills.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      Read Erika's Buzz, she keeps us up to date regarding this topic thread, which now has the Democratic Party of Hawaii on board:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ir_skills.html
      Regarding the democratic party of hawaii ... *snores*

Get President Obama on board and THEN I'll be impressed.

P.S. Mufi get better chance at becoming a Gov if he split from the party and form a new one: Obamacrat.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The SUNRISE machine keeps rolling and expanding like a snowball (maybe that's a function of being a part of hawaii new snow? tee hee).

Announced yesterday/Wednesday - SUNRISE adds another hour, from 8 - 9 am - on KFVE. The team will then be on the air from 4:30 am until 9 am on their various stations. Will they get paid more? Hmmmm . . .

Next up: "The Numbers" from the November rating period should be out any day now . . . stay tuned (or don't).

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
          The SUNRISE machine keeps rolling and expanding like a snowball (maybe that's a function of being a part of hawaii new snow? tee hee).

Announced yesterday/Wednesday - SUNRISE adds another hour, from 8 - 9 am - on KFVE. The team will then be on the air from 4:30 am until 9 am on their various stations. Will they get paid more? Hmmmm . . .
          4:30 am to 9 am??? That's a pretty long shift for a TV news team.

Comment

• KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "funeral"

In related news, Paul and I hosted a funeral last night for the death of our KHNL careers.

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...ds_rivals.html

It was fun, and thanks to Erika for the write up! I didn't invite her because I wanted coverage, but rather, because I like her. However she ended up running this column.

Let's see: a casket with items buried inside (like our business cards), a disco ball and dancing, a baby grand piano attracted the pianists in house for an impromptu karaoke type concert, a tour of the mortuary for the very curious, and way too much beer and wine left over. I even gave doggie bags of alcohol to the very last guests, and I STILL have left overs. A Christmas tree decorated with video tape garland and news script ornaments. Eulogy. Bloopers. Photo slide show. We had a nice time.
            Halekulani.com
            Waikikiparc.com
            SmallTalk.HonAdvBlogs.com

Comment

My opinion: I think the evening anchor line-up on Hawaii News Now should be revamped. Instead of Dan Cooke doing the weather in the mornings, they should put him somewhere in the evenings as one of the main anchors. He's been in news the longest compared to most or even all of the on-air staff. Then put Ben Gutierrez as the main weather anchor for Sunrise (since he did morning weather/segments on KITV). Here's what I think they should do if they happen to put Dan in the evenings. But again, just my opinion.

5:00pm: Dan Cooke and Tannya Joaquin
              5:30pm: Dan Cooke and Tannya Joaquin
              6:00pm: Keahi Tucker and Tannya Joquin
              6:30pm: Keahi Tucker and Stephanie Lum
              9:00pm: Dan Cooke and Stephanie Lum
              10:00pm: Keahi Tucker and Stephanie Lum

With this line-up, each anchor now has the same amount of air-time on the evenings. And if major weather events strike Hawaii (if they do at all...lol... like hurricanes, etc)... they may include Dan to file weather reports once in a while and still be part of the weather team... since he's been doing that for a long time too.

I miss Stacy Loe! If KGMB didn't merge with KHNL and if the station did not require her to work a full-time shift (as compared to a part-time shift she had before), I think she would be still anchoring today.
              Last edited by bcr1652; December 18, 2009, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Having Dan Cooke do the a.m. weather is like having a $30,000 Rolex that's never worn and only sits in the medicine cabinet.

Such a waste.

Comment

I agree about Dan Cooke he is wasted on AM weather.
                  But they are looking for a demographic and its not of people who actually want to watch: REAL NEWS!
                  That in and of itself would be great... A NEWSCAST.!
                  Weather once, sports once, during the half hour unless its News like The all important Tiger Woods story, (I heard he has had a few things goin' on.)
                  Or the Thunder and lightening that has just swept through my area in less than an hour. (Hey, its news to me I can't mow my lawn today, its all wet.)

Comment

It's a done deal when the FCC makes their decision and nobody is above the FCC.
                    In terms of regulation and policy, yes.

But in the real world of a broadcast industry being a private enterprise, economics eventually sits in the driver's seat. That's the reality, as even a subsequent post of yours would indicate:

Oh yes. The business model that has sustained broadcast TV for all these decades is even now beginning to undergo an upheaval, spurred on even faster by the recession, as this excellent MSNBC article shows.

What should be a slap-of-reality for those folks thinking the FCC and/or Media Council Hawaii can somehow play "God" in restoring 4 independent TV news operations here is a future where the broadcast networks may just dispose of local affiliate partners altogether. Think that can't happen? Rule that possibily out.... at your own peril.

Over time, the networks might be able to get even more money by abandoning the affiliate structure and undoing a key element of free TV.

Here's why: Pay-TV providers are paying the networks only for the stations the networks own. That amounts to a little less than a third of the TV audience, which means local affiliates recoup two-thirds of the fees. If a network operated purely as a cable channel and cut the affiliates out, the network could get the fees for the entire pay-TV audience.

If forced to go independent, affiliates would have to air their own programming, including local news and syndicated shows.

Fitch Ratings analyst Jamie Rizzo predicts that at least one of the four broadcast networks "could explore" becoming a cable channel as early as 2011.

Any shift would take years, as the networks untangle complicated affiliate contracts. At an analyst conference last year, CBS's Moonves called the idea an "a very interesting proposition." But he added that it "would really change the universe that we're in."
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If the FCC truly has the power to stop the merger and if it truly INTENDED to stop the merger, it would have done so well before the merger took place.

Too much money is at stake here, and the powers that be have spoken.

Done deal.
                      Last edited by pumpkinboy; January 3, 2010, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post

5:00pm: Dan Cooke and Tannya Joaquin
                        5:30pm: Dan Cooke and Tannya Joaquin
                        6:00pm: Keahi Tucker and Tannya Joquin
                        6:30pm: Keahi Tucker and Stephanie Lum
                        9:00pm: Dan Cooke and Stephanie Lum
                        10:00pm: Keahi Tucker and Stephanie Lum

I miss Stacy Loe! If KGMB didn't merge with KHNL and if the station did not require her to work a full-time shift (as compared to a part-time shift she had before), I think she would be still anchoring today.

would be nice to see more stories from reporters... seeing additional faces during the newscast rather than hearing it all from the anchors all the time. Jim Mendoza, Duane Shimogawa, Minna Sugimoto, Brooks Baehr, Tim Sakahara... great to see when do pop up a bit during the news.

thoughts about the current line up of new guys & gals...

Stacy Loe was a good reporter and anchor w/ Keahi... but when she was with the 3 anchors on one newscast, I felt that was one too many anchors at the desk. Good to see she will be enjoying life with her family.

Dan Cooke is great on Sunsrise. I would be nice to see him through the day... but I think he has good chemistry with the morning crew.

Guy's humor would go good with the morning show.... but it kinda picks you up in the afternoon when he's on the air. BTW, does he and Stephanie not get along w/ each other. Sometimes it feels like he has a grudge against her when he makes cocky remarks... kinda shutting down things she says.

I don't care for Ben... but he has improved a lot since I used to watch him on KITV. One day he stopped stuttering.

Mariela does great by herself on weekends anchoring. Nuff said.

Tim Sakahara is a great reporter. I don't care for him as a news anchor & worse when he anchors w/ Mariela. They should keep him reporting, he's great at that.

I don't really care for Grace Lee. She's kinda of ditzy... if that's a word. & has an irritating chicken-scratch voice. She'd make a better roaming reporter... like Manolo in channel 2.

I did enjoy watching Sunrise when Lisa Kubota was filling in for Grace. Would rather watch her than Grace in the morning.

Don't care for Mike Cherry doing sports... sounds like he's puking when he talks. His voice sounds fake... he'd probably be good in radio. Or would be better if he stopped forcing the way he talks... and talk more relaxed.

Tannya is good w/ Keahi. I think Keahi is good with whoever they put him with.

But I'd prefer seeing Stephanie Lum on the air than Tannya. & don't care for them anchoring together.

Noticed they're making Tannya do the K5 News at 9. Would rather have Stephanie back on there.

& if I had to change the line up... it would go like this (as far as anchors):

5:00 Stephanie Lum
                        5:30 Stephanie Lum / Keahi Tucker
                        6:00 Keahi Tucker / Tannya Joaquin
                        6:30 Stephanie Lum
                        9:00 Stephanie Lum
                        10:00 Keahi Tucker / Tannya Joaquin

of course I'd rather watch watch just Stephanie doing the news at night long.

with regards to Dan Cooke... he'd go good anywhere. would be nice if he was on all the time too.

Boy I miss all the KHNL guys.

About Sunrise expanding during the 8am hour. I think they should just do a morning newscast at 8am... rather than the whole "Sunrise" show. Just a whole update of all the news crammed up in the half hour. Want to just get the morning news and not all the fluff sometimes.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by OffTheRock View Post
                          Boy I miss all the KHNL guys.

Just my 2 cents.
                          I miss the KGMB9 guys.

Don't get me wrong. It's that every time I watch Hawaii News Now it feels like KHNL 8 News with KGMB staff.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I like their ID intro music that comes up with their logo. But, I'm trying to place where I heard it before.

Comment

Personally, I think Grace Lee does a terrific job on the morning show.

When you put two personalities/anchors together, one will have the stronger personality/more command presence in general.

Grace is obviously more than capable of fronting that show and has great command presence and confidence/poise.

That's not to take anything away from Steve, who is terrific on the AM show, as well.

He is much more relaxed, jovial and natural and he is a very important part of the show's success IMHO and KGMB's past success.

A very good person too, and I know he will do more great things for the new station.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                I miss the KGMB9 guys.

Don't get me wrong. It's that every time I watch Hawaii News Now it feels like KHNL 8 News with KGMB staff.
                                Ditto. I miss the old set, I miss the old gang. The new set reminds me of some mainland newscast.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X