• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

And more fuel to the fire from Rick Daysog at the Advertiser:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...2M+from+Raycom

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
      And more fuel to the fire from Rick Daysog at the Advertiser:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...2M+from+Raycom
      Wow. What is the worst case scenario if things do not fall in the favor of the stations? Stripping of the FCC licenses? Do the network programs remain on air and the local news is taken off until the dust is settled? Or are the stations shut down altogether until things are resolved?

Aj

Comment

It ain't gonna happen.

There are only two words you need to remember and recite each night before bed:

"Done" "Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
          It ain't gonna happen.

There are only two words you need to remember and recite each night before bed:

"Done" "Deal"
          In other words, "Live with it" personally I don't like the new look. It looks too mainlandish...where's the aloha!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Then they should shut that effin' transmitter down and shoot their signals (KHNL, KFVE, and KGMB) to Ulupalakua instead! Sorry, to express that I'm angry at the moment is a gross understatement.

My confidence in FCC is shattered when they listened to some bunch of environmentalists and have the digital TV transmitter built 100 feet below the height of Haleakala at Ulupalakua. The transmitter should have stayed at Haleakala even when upgraded to receive and send DTV signals.
            Many years ago, UH began a push to move the TV transmitters away from Science City at the summit of Haleakala because of RF interference getting into the telescopes. I remember seeing a picture image of space from one of the telescopes with Vanna White superimposed in the corner turning letters on the "Wheel of Fortune" board. UH screamed that experiments were being destroyed and that the TV stations had to move. The TV broadcasters, led by KGMB, assumed a "Hell no, we won't go" attitude based on their assertion that TV was there first.

A study was conducted in the late 1980's that identified three alternate sites:

1. A new site at the summit southwest of the current site, but providing terrain shielding between the transmitters and the telescopes. Height about 9400 feet with no change in coverage patterns.

2. A new site at Pu`u Kukui in the West Maui Mountains. Height about 5700 feet with excellent coverage, but extreme accessibility issues.

3. A new site on Ulupalakua Ranch. Height about 4500 feet with greatly reduced coverage...especially in the Haiku to Huelo areas on the eastern side of Maui.

In the early 1990's my wife and I started advocating that broadcasters get behind the new summit site. We wanted to move all of the Maui TV Stations, as well as all of the Maui Radio Stations to the site. The advantage to having the radio stations there would be that all of the transmitters on the island would be in one common area and much easier to shield from the telescopes. The height would be beneficial for power consumption since much less transmitter power would be needed to cover the licensed areas. UH agreed and was also pushing the site.

We were able to move a resolution through the Maui County Council as well as the state legislature supporting the establishment of an antenna farm at this location. Maui mayor Linda Lingle also espressed her support. By that time, the Air Force was involved in the Haleakala interference issue and we also had the support of the Washington delegation for complete funding of the project. It probably wouldn't have cost the TV or radio stations a single dime to make the move.

Unfortunately, the short-sighted TV managers dug in their heels (led by the GM of KGMB) and said that they weren't moving anywhere. The KGMB GM even called me one morning screaming that if I continued to pursue the antenna farm, he would sue me. We did continue to pursue it, but with no support from the TV broadcasters, the whole effort died.

By the mid-1990's another broadcaster worked a deal to place a radio antenna farm on the Ulupalakua site, which was the least desirable of the three sites identified in the study.

In the late 1990's and start of the new century, the TV broadcasters finally woke up and realized that they really were going to be pushed off of the summit. The other highly desirable summit site was now off-limits because of environmentalists, the Park Service and Hawaiian activists that wanted to stop the proliferation of construction at the summit. Another site was identified at Ballpark Junction at the 7,100 feet elevation. The ballpark is a large grassy flat which got its name during the 1930's when the Civilian Conservation Corps personnel played softball during their leisure hours. This would have been an excellent site, especially for digital broadcasts, but none of the Honolulu TV broadcasters wanted to help fund it.

What they ended up with was the least expensive alternative and the worst site for coverage ... the already developed Ulupalakua site, on which a second tower was constructed. I believe public radio also moved to this site recently. Nevertheless, the move was made and over the air broadcasts ceased for many Maui viewers (as well as public radio broadcasts).

I'm not sure if the KFVE translator is still on the summit or if it moved to Haleakala also. I haven't checked, but I assume KGMB programming is now on that translator in analog.

KGMB led the fight to keep from moving its Maui transmitter and now it's been relegated to a lowly analog translator.

Comment

I just got back from a trip to the Big Island this week, my first for 2009.

In Honokaa I found out that none of the digital TV stations work OTA.

For more than 50 years we could get clear reception of the old VHF analog stations that were at the top of the summit.

Now with the digital transmitters far below where they were, and the fact that the stations themselves broadcast on UHF, the signal is nowhere to be found OTA in the fringe of Honokaa. My uncle told me shortly after the DTV switch he tried his digital converter hooked up to an outside antenna and got nothing.

I am angry at the environmental wackos and the science community for forcing the TV towers downslope on Maui. Now people who relied on those towers either get a reduced signal or none at all. So if they want to watch TV now they have to pay for it through cable or satellite. Bummers.

Also found out that KAOI 95.1 FM that was clearly heard in Honokaa and throughout the northern part of the Hamakua district also disappeared after the January switchover. While I was not a huge fan of the format KAOI adopted around 2005 (light CHR), my sister absolutely loved that station because in the nights she listened to "Delilah". Now no Delilah for her on the radio... I guess she can look for it online, but that is humbug because it keeps her anchored to the computer.

KAOI 95.1 FM was broadcasting from the top of Haleakala since it went on the air in 1974 and was the first clear FM station to be heard along the Big Island's Hamakua Coast. RIP KAOI FM 1974 - 2009. (The station is still on the air but can only be heard on Maui and probably West Hawaii).
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                I am angry at the environmental wackos and the science community for forcing the TV towers downslope on Maui. Now people who relied on those towers either get a reduced signal or none at all. So if they want to watch TV now they have to pay for it through cable or satellite. Bummers.
                The Honolulu TV general managers in the early 1990's are also to blame for fighting a move to what would have been a superior site on the summit not far from where they were.

Also found out that KAOI 95.1 FM that was clearly heard in Honokaa and throughout the northern part of the Hamakua district also disappeared after the January switchover.
                They have moved to a site on Haleakala just below the ranger station. I'm not sure of the elevation, but it's pretty high. While their Big Island coverage dropped out, they now reach from Kihei, through the central valley and almost to Hana in East Maui.

KAOI 95.1 FM was broadcasting from the top of Haleakala since it went on the air in 1974 and was the first clear FM station to be heard along the Big Island's Hamakua Coast. RIP KAOI FM 1974 - 2009. (The station is still on the air but can only be heard on Maui and probably West Hawaii).
                Their site was actually on Ulupalakua Ranch (not far from the winery) and far enough around the mountain (going toward Kaupo) that the 95.1 signal was pretty spotty from Kahului to Paia and Haiku. That required a translator on 96.7 in Wailuku Heights into order to reach those areas. It also was a clear shot to the Big Island.

The new transmitter site, while cutting out the Big Island signal, produces much better 95.1 coverage on most of Maui island.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                  The Honolulu TV general managers in the early 1990's are also to blame for fighting a move to what would have been a superior site on the summit not far from where they were.
                  But the move was prompted by complaints from the scientist community first... right? If no one complained including the enviro wackos and the Hawaiian cultural preservationists, the antennas could have been kept where they were instead of moved away. This is the kind of decision that impacted more people than what scientists and enviro knuckleheads wanted.

The scientists knew the TV stations were there first. They could have located to another site like Mauna Kea. No TV towers there.

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
                  Their site was actually on Ulupalakua Ranch (not far from the winery) and far enough around the mountain (going toward Kaupo) that the 95.1 signal was pretty spotty from Kahului to Paia and Haiku. That required a translator on 96.7 in Wailuku Heights into order to reach those areas. It also was a clear shot to the Big Island.

The new transmitter site, while cutting out the Big Island signal, produces much better 95.1 coverage on most of Maui island.
                  Well KAOI might as well have been on the summit because for years our community had a great signal. If they were at a lower elevation, they did not have to move unless they wanted to reach their target audience better. I guess that was it. Funny is that people in Honokaa can get Maui FMs 93.5, 99.9, 104.7 (Lanai), 103.7 and 92.9, though none as strong as KAOI. For some reason even if KKUA moved their signal still comes in strong at 90.7 FM.

Oh well, Honokaa is stuck mostly with overwhelming KKBG 106.3 FM with a translator tower that drowns out many frequencies if you are within the line of site of it.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The Buzz from Erika:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...nt_of_22m.html

Comment

But the move was prompted by complaints from the scientist community first... right? If no one complained including the enviro wackos and the Hawaiian cultural preservationists, the antennas could have been kept where they were instead of moved away. This is the kind of decision that impacted more people than what scientists and enviro knuckleheads wanted.
                      The original TV towers were really an RF emissions nightmare. As you drove along the road, you were almost staring directly into the antennas. The safest facilities were the ones that came in later ... the KFVE translator site and the KOGG (KHNL satellite) site that were located in the saddle and away from the cluster of other TV transmitters.

When we were working on the project, the UH Institute for Astronomy was backing the move to the other summit site I spoke of in my post. This would have been an even better site for the stations than where they were. The site would have been secure and common infrastructure would have included reliable back-up generators and fewer towers. UH also liked the idea of having all of the radio stations there, as well, because it would have been easier for them to shield against. And because the Air Force had become involved (because of their facilities at Science City), there was an excellent chance that the full cost of the "forced moves" would have been paid for by the federal government.

We also positioned it as a Civil Defense issue. With common facilities, common back-up generators, and the planned redundancy, down time in an emergency would be minimal. Furthermore, because of the height and somewhat central location, transmissions from the site would reach a majority of the state's residents.

With only radio interested (and not all of the Maui radio broadcasters were on board, either ... some already had what they thought were good sites and didn't want signal parity for their competitors), it didn't make economic sense. And by the time the TV managers finally realized that they were going to have to do something, another antenna farm much lower on the mountain had been built.

The result was that the viewers and listeners lost out.

Well KAOI might as well have been on the summit because for years our community had a great signal. If they were at a lower elevation, they did not have to move unless they wanted to reach their target audience better. I guess that was it.
                      The KAOI-FM site was great for Big Island coverage, as well as Maui coverage from Kaupo through Makena/Kihei and about half of the Central Valley. A ridge blocked the signal and gave spotty coverage in most of Kahului and parts of Wailuku. That's why the station maintained a translator on 96.7. From what I can tell, the new site does reach the target audience much better.

is that people in Honokaa can get Maui FMs 93.5, 99.9, 104.7 (Lanai), 103.7 and 92.9, though none as strong as KAOI. For some reason even if KKUA moved their signal still comes in strong at 90.7 FM.
                      I think 93.5, 99.9, 104.7 and 92.9 all broadcast from the newer Ulupalakua site, but share a directional antenna that concentrates most of the signal toward Maui's Central Valley and West Side. That's why their signals aren't as good on the Big Island.

103.7 is at another site on Ulupalakua, but is actually licensed to Paauilo on the Big Island. They are non-directional and should have good coverage in Honokaa (which is closer to the transmitter than Paauilo).

Comment

If I have missed them already let me know, but has Blangiardi done any editorials yet? Fink's style and delivery during his editorals have been criticized by many, but he was required to do it as all Raycom GM's are supposed to.

I don't know if it was a FCC requirement then, but during the 70's all the stations Owners and/or GM's did editorials, i.e. Heftel (KGMB), Bob Berger, Dick Grimm (KHVH/KITV), Duane Harm, George Hagar (KHON), etc.

I don't have problems with editorials as long as they are brief and cuts to the point, one's that drag on and on as they did back then could help cure insomnia.

Aj

Comment

I haven't seen Blangiardi do one yet either. But Fink is still doing them over on K5. Saw one about a week ago. I don't mind editorials at all if they're done well. Back when I lived in D.C., the anchor of the NBC affiliate, Jim Vance, would periodically do editorials when an issue he cared about arose. Vance would pull no punches and deliberately step on the toes of the TPTB, who richly deserved to have their noses tweaked in public. Vance caught lots of flack, but never backed down or apologized. I loved his editorials because I almost always agreed with them. They were a joy to behold! I don't miss D.C. one bit, but I do miss Jim Vance!
                          No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice View Post
                            I haven't seen Blangiardi do one yet either. But Fink is still doing them over on K5. Saw one about a week ago. I don't mind editorials at all if they're done well. Back when I lived in D.C., the anchor of the NBC affiliate, Jim Vance, would periodically do editorials when an issue he cared about arose. Vance would pull no punches and deliberately step on the toes of the TPTB, who richly deserved to have their noses tweaked in public. Vance caught lots of flack, but never backed down or apologized. I loved his editorials because I almost always agreed with them. They were a joy to behold! I don't miss D.C. one bit, but I do miss Jim Vance!
                            Maybe the editorials have to be done within the first month, so there is time.

Sorry to go off-topic but you mention Jim Vance, longtime WRC (NBC) Washington DC news anchor, when he and sports anchor George Michael lose it on-air, it is one of the funniest news clips I've ever seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0eIN...eature=related

While at WJLA I experienced a lot from them, but Nance is acknowledged as one of the best anchors in our nation's capital.

Aj
                            Last edited by Kalihiboy; November 8, 2009, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post

While at WJLA I experienced a lot from them, but Nance is acknowledged as one of the best anchors in our nation's capital.

Aj
                              Correcting myself: Jim (V)ance, not Nance! Of course Jim Nance is the well known CBS sports announcer, but not WRC news anchor! That is Jim VANCE.

Comment

Ref Editorials:
                                I think the Heftel commentaries were more ego-generated, or perhaps part of a long-range plan to further Heftel political ambitions. It got his face out there, and he DID go on to serve in Congress for ten? years and then ran unsuccessfully for gov. Berger and Heftel had a great rivalry going, and that may be why HE jumped into the game. Just an observation.

Comment

Working...
                                X