KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Tracy was the weatherperson in the mornings - very blonde. AFTRA (last atempt at unionizing "talent") went 'bye 'bye a lonngg time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      who is Tracy?
      Tracy Glad(You didn't see me)den?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        I guess she never made much of impression to me so I never noticed her. so much for talent eh?
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I guess she never made much of impression to me so I never noticed her. so much for talent eh?
          Thanks Craig, and yes, she did not make much of an impression on most. I had a weekly guest who, shortly before they started coming on, was trying to familiarize herself with the show. She said, "I see you and Howard and sometimes another person doing those promos that air at night." Sometimes another person! Ha ha ha!

Generally speaking, it's amazing how people get hired, promoted, or kept. Sometimes the union won't let managers just fire people. Sometimes people are promoted for all the wrong reasons. I can cite several examples of someone getting promoted from reporter to anchor, simply because the other candidates were too good at what they did, to lose their help as reporters. Penalized for being too good - sad.

Sometimes, the anchor is not very smart/ good/ dedicated, but people around them prop them up. Maybe the producer likes the anchor. Maybe the producer wants to have his show look good so it's in his interest to make the anchor look smart. When you see one co-anchor in the field consistently, and the other sitting in-house, it can often mean that the producer is pandering to the weaker one, letting that one coast because the stronger one can pick up the work.

TV news is not a meritocracy.
          Halekulani.com
          Waikikiparc.com
          SmallTalk.HonAdvBlogs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            If a prospective employer of Tracy's decides to do a web search on her, this thread may not show up because of splitting her last name, WB. So in deference to her colleagues at KHNL, allow me to make sure her name comes thru loud and clear...
            TRACY GLADDEN

Thanks for checking in, Diane. Please update us when the next, even better, door opens for you. People who act like Tracy irk the heck out of me...no gratitude for what they did have. And, mods, if this post is a potential problem, please remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Ako View Post
              Thanks Craig, and yes, she did not make much of an impression on most. I had a weekly guest who, shortly before they started coming on, was trying to familiarize herself with the show. She said, "I see you and Howard and sometimes another person doing those promos that air at night." Sometimes another person! Ha ha ha!

Generally speaking, it's amazing how people get hired, promoted, or kept. Sometimes the union won't let managers just fire people. Sometimes people are promoted for all the wrong reasons. I can cite several examples of someone getting promoted from reporter to anchor, simply because the other candidates were too good at what they did, to lose their help as reporters. Penalized for being too good - sad.

Sometimes, the anchor is not very smart/ good/ dedicated, but people around them prop them up. Maybe the producer likes the anchor. Maybe the producer wants to have his show look good so it's in his interest to make the anchor look smart. When you see one co-anchor in the field consistently, and the other sitting in-house, it can often mean that the producer is pandering to the weaker one, letting that one coast because the stronger one can pick up the work.

I've been a radio producer for years and you are correct that a producer can make even a dunce sound good over the air. I've alway believed however that there should be a cohesive bond between the producer and show host/anchor. The producer almost mind-melds with the on air talent in order to keep it tight. If there's static between the two, it shows.

Comment

Most professions (in my experience) are not meritocracies. "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is a cliché for a reason.

It might even be more frustrating in Hawai'i, where the first or second question one is often asked is "Where did you grad?"
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                  Most professions (in my experience) are not meritocracies. "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is a cliché for a reason.

It might even be more frustrating in Hawai'i, where the first or second question one is often asked is "Where did you grad?"
                  Funny cuz on the Big Island you don't hear "where you grad?" very much because there's not very many high schools on it. But boy oh boy the Big Island sure is a place where WHO YOU KNOW means a lot. If you don't know anyone, chances are you won't get that job or you won't get promoted approprately.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    If a prospective employer of Tracy's decides to do a web search on her, this thread may not show up because of splitting her last name, WB. So in deference to her colleagues at KHNL, allow me to make sure her name comes thru loud and clear...
                    TRACY GLADDEN

Thanks for checking in, Diane. Please update us when the next, even better, door opens for you. People who act like Tracy irk the heck out of me...no gratitude for what they did have. And, mods, if this post is a potential problem, please remove it.
                    Ha ha ha ha ha, got a good laugh. Thanks, Sue.
                    Halekulani.com
                    Waikikiparc.com

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha, got a good laugh. Thanks, Sue.
                      What was that name again: Tracy G-L-A-D-D-E-N ?

Did I get that spelling correct?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Thanks for checking in, Diane. Please update us when the next, even better, door opens for you. .
                        Oh yeah, and about doors. I want to freelance until my kid goes to school. So if you have a door you want to usher me through for voice over or on air work, give me a call!

I have always freelanced in print (and will still take print jobs), but lately, I've found some video work as well. And then because of the layoffs and the news articles, some people have found me because they realize I'm on the market. That's pretty cool and flattering.

Freelance isn't steady (duh) but it's something, and it gives me the flexibility to be with Olivia more. It's not just the money - I think it'll help me still feel vital. I really have no clue what comes next, and I'm ok with that.

I want to decompress for a bit. A layoff environment is really toxic. I love my KHNL family but to be around all that sorrow is not healthy.

Don't hold me to this, but right here, right now, speculating about the future: if I HAD to make a random guess as to a 2nd career, I'd say law seems like the best fit for my abilities and my goals. (Partly due to elimination: my first pick would really be veterinarian, but I can't do math and science. Bummer.)
                        Halekulani.com
                        Waikikiparc.com

Comment

I used to work in another volatile industry that used radio, TV and print... Advertising. When you are at an ad agency and the firm puts nearly all of its money into one big client... and that big client goes somewhere else... well heads roll... been there done that.

I know most people in advertising are pretty resilient and like radio and TV people bounce to new firms, stations, freelance or whatever. I freelanced in graphics and stuff for a few years before I ended up in the political arena where I still am today.

Several media people end up there too... working as P-R people for politicians. The Legislature used to be a good place where some media people got temp jobs that led to other jobs... However with the State's economy in the toilet, no one knows what things will be like in the coming months.

Anyway, here's wishing all of the people who were let go from KGMB and KHNL the best of luck in their future endaevours. I think all of you will find your way.

I just wish the channels would not change from 9 to 5!
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh yeah, and about doors. I want to freelance until my kid goes to school. So if you have a door you want to usher me through for voice over or on air work, give me a call![...]
                            Most local voice over jobs are cast in-house. I rarely get one. Do you have a demo CD? If not, try to pull one together. Right now you'd be categorized as an "announcer" voice. You'll also need a few voice acting demos, even if it's finding or writing your own script and recording it. Clients will want to hear your voice acting chops. Then, get those CDs to the broadcast producers at the ad agencies. PM me if you need more info.

Comment

If you can you should talk to Dan Cooke. He's done some stuff for agencies for their PR promos from private non-profits to hotels. There's always a market for on-air talent other than news.

I've been doing freelance stuff for a few years already having left CC back in 2002. But it's not the same as working for an organization. Freelance just says, hey I'm out of a job do you need some help? Get back in the zone soon or you'll be left out. It's no fun being a has been. My glory days are over.

Comment

Freelance just says, hey I'm out of a job do you need some help? Get back in the zone soon or you'll be left out. It's no fun being a has been. My glory days are over.
                                Thanks all for your advice! Wow, what a lot to know. It's a new challenge and I am ok with that.

I'm not really sweating how freelance "appears" and if I have glory days or not to come. If there's pocket change to be had, cool. If not, ok.

To be honest, my head's still spinning from the layoff. Just so much stress, etc - I need to unwind. I am not in a state to really think about putting up a website, getting together a reel, etc.

I definitely will set this aside and remember to re-read it and think about it in a few weeks when I'm back to a healthy place. THANKS for your good advice and tips, everyone.

I'm comfortable with what I've had and done, and where I've been. I don't know where I'm going. I'm not worried. I have faith something will materialize that will seem interesting to me and worthwhile. Aside from mourning, I'm in a good space.
                                Halekulani.com
                                Waikikiparc.com

Comment

Working...
                                X