Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Originally posted by Diane Ako View Post
    [...]This kind of forum might be dangerous for me too. Must... exercise... self...control!
    Hopefully KHNL's loss is HT's gain!

Comment

I did notice that the sound was not very good through my analog cable TV service for KGMB (which is 7 analog). The sound was way better when I switched off the cable and went to OTA using my indoor antenna and digital converter tuner.

Another thing is that the KHNL side is running a couple of seconds ahead of KGMB during the simulcast. And yes, as I mentioned earlier, the bugs on the bottom right hand of the screen identify whichever channel you are watching.

CBS logo with KGMB

NBC logo with KHNL

No 9 or 8 with any logo. Are channel numbers irrelevant?
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

On DirecTV they have one channel that shows up to eight news or sports channels on one screen. You can toggle between any of them with the audio portion on the channel your cursor is on.

Too bad they don't make one for local news. That would be great to watch all local networks at one time.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          Are channel numbers irrelevant?
          Thanks for your descriptions, Mel. As for your question, unlike in radio, where frequencies have become more important than callsigns (because of digital read-outs on car radios, etc., TV channel numbers are likely irrelevant for marketing purposes now (note they're not being used in the new branding).

Where TV channel numbers ARE relevant, is on station licenses, at the FCC, for engineering-kine reasons, and maybe others.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

One of the few good things that have come from this merger is the end of the Severe Weather Station branding KGMB had for the last few years. I'd never reveal names, but a number of their staff I've talked to were embarrassed by that lame station branding.

Severe Weather Station is much better suited on the mainland where I've seen that branded in the appropriate markets.

It's really too bad Drewes and Shima were let go because I think they were the best at what they did, I would have moved Cooke back to anchoring, and Dudley to features.

And you know why alot of people are upset by this merger, one of the main reasons to merge was to avoid a news operation from going under, well save for a few KHNL staffers retained it sure looks like one went under to me.

A last place news station replaced by the number one news station that was running out of money and needed a roof over themselves boots out the station that had settled into its new headquarters just last December. Harsh. If you don't think that hasn't upset people then I don't know what to say. I think if we were in much better economic times and this was attempted, both stations staff would have boycotted it.

This harkens back to 1975 when nearly the entire on-air staff at KITV was canned in favor of a new all local lineup, this is how Emme, Guanzon, Levi, Okamoto, etc. first came into the news business. Lawsuits were filed by some staff that were let go. The guys that were in their final days at the station had to train the new kids on the block and do the news while they saw the new set being constructed. Deja Vu?

But in hindsight the 1975 changes were good in the sense that it brought more diversity into the local news business, which the end result is a much better representation of the community it serves.

Some will rejoice I'm done with my rant and off my soapbox for now.

Aj

Comment

There is no comparison - it's the exact same, except one small bit of the lower third says "KHNL" versus "KGMB." I didn't note any audio difference either.

And out of habit I kept going 2,4,8,9 - and then realizing 8 and 9 are now the same.

By the way, that habit irks the heck out of my husband. On a really big news day I'd stay on a channel for 3 seconds (literally) before checking the other channels. He would give up and go to the next room. He is hoping I will give that up now that I"m a civilan. LOL
              I knew the 'casts would be identical, I just meant I should have DVR'd both to see if the eight-seconds (or so) of delayed audio also would be apparent on KHNL.

As for your husband's hopes that you'll be able to start watching as a "civilian," if you're anything like me (out of broadcast news for more than 10 years now), you might gently suggest to him that he not hold his breath.
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Did they call it KITV back in 1975? Or was it still KHVH-TV? That was such a long time ago.

Too bad for the locale of KGMB though. That was a landmark.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Did they call it KITV back in 1975? Or was it still KHVH-TV? That was such a long time ago.
                  KHVH television became KITV during the summer of 1973. The call letter switch was in part due to a new ownership change as Bob Berger had sold the tv station (the late William F. Buckley had partial ownership) and kept the radio station as KHVH intact.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    KHVH television became KITV during the summer of 1973. The call letter switch was in part due to a new ownership change as Bob Berger had sold the tv station (the late William F. Buckley had partial ownership) and kept the radio station as KHVH intact.

Aj
                    Back in the days of four TV stations...Mahalo for that info.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      [...]
                      It's really too bad Drewes and Shima were let go because I think they were the best at what they did, I would have moved Cooke back to anchoring, and Dudley to features.
                      [...]
                      I've been wondering about the decisions behind who was laid off. It appears to me that at KHNL the seasoned, on air vets were laid off in favor of newer, less experienced folks. Was that strictly a money decision? Keep newer people who make less and get rid of the higher salaried folks? Just curious.

Comment

Considering all the changes are taking place one week before November, one can safely assume its all to get more RATINGS (sweeps start in November) which generates into more money if KGMB/KHNL manages to come on top of KHON and KITV.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

THanks!
                          Your bio is HILARIOUS. I love good writing. This kind of forum might be dangerous for me too. Must... exercise... self...control!
                          Thanks! The frightening thing is that was written eight or nine years ago, and nothing's changed!

There's a fair number of folks frequenting HT who also blog; that's where you find the long-form writing, not here.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

For non-newsies, "watching" always means channel surfing to see all newscasts!
                            Not only do I do this at home, I do this when I visit family on the mainland.
                            Originally posted by mike
                            scsdogg,
                            You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Did Bob Jones write anything about what's happening to his KGMB?

Comment

I have been very disappointed with KGMB today. and also with Direct TV satellite. Starting with trying to watch Sunrise this morning & finding nothing but infomercials. Then, trying to find a news broadcast tonite and getting a message on the screen apologizing for nothing being on. I don't know if this is a problem with the stations or with Direct TV but I'm really not a happy camper! Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow nite so I can watch my programs!

and if anyone is reading this from KGMB? - I watched Ch. 4 news tonite and you may just have lost a viewer here!
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X