KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Mel's & Ninja's latest posts neatly summarize the issues & actions while making me very happy that TiVo can find a programming guide... so that I don't have to.

This TV shuffle, and the latest radio changes with KPOI (or whatever we're calling it this month) also make me glad that I don't watch live TV or listen to live radio anymore. Of course I'm not really sure that there is such a thing as live TV or live radio anymore, so I guess a better description would be "TV or radio when they're broadcast".

Who knows, maybe 2-5 more years and I'll be able to dump Oceanic for a living room media server feeding Hulu or some other website's syndicated programming direct to the TV. If spouse was willing to give up HGTV then we wouldn't even have to wait.

TutuSue, Erika, what's the media gossip about the Craigslist ad?
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post

As far as KGMV and KGMD, they are satellite stations and thus can continue to broadcast KGMB's signal on the Neighbor Islands, none of the Honolulu stations Ad-sub on the outer islands so it's a zero-sum game(although why they don't is an interesting question).
      A very interesting question and one that has been posed to all of the stations, especially KHNL and KHON. The technology has existed for some time for the stations to not only insert neighbor island specific commercials for their neighbor island satellites, but to insert specific news programming, as well. It was never really money that kept it from happening...it really wouldn't have cost that much and would have been more than offset by the revenues. It always seemed like more of a bias against the neighbor islands by some TV managers. The one GM, however, who was always supportive of such a plan was John Fink.

The neighbor island bias does exist. A few years ago, a friend of mine from the Mainland was attending a TV convention and found himself talking to a news director from one of the Honolulu TV stations. My friend asked about covering news in Hawaii and inquired about neighbor island coverage. The news director's response was, "Unless a plane goes into the side of Haleakala, there's no news to cover."

About one-third of the state's population lives on the neighbor islands. That's a pretty decent-sized market that's often getting ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
        [...]the media gossip about the Craigslist ad?
        I haven't heard anything but the Black Point location rings a bell with me. Even tho', at the moment, I can't recall who it is it seems kind of obvious that the person is an independent producer working out of his/her home.

I just wish the person had proof-read his/her listing before posting it. It gives more credibility to spell words accurately, esp. in the big, bold headline!!!

And, like your wife, Nords, HGTV will keep me an Oceanic captive!

Comment

in the past year, I've been on Dish Network & Direct TV which are both satellite based. I happily watch HGTV every day - with much better reception & less outages than Oceanic. I hope to never subscribe to Oceanic again!

as for the "merger" between the stations: I've been a faithful Ch. 9 news fan for many years. I don't know if I'll be able to trust that I'm getting the whole story on happenings here if I"m not able to get multiple versions of the stories so I can sift out what makes sense. I'm not comfortable with the merger at all.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
            The neighbor island bias does exist. A few years ago, a friend of mine from the Mainland was attending a TV convention and found himself talking to a news director from one of the Honolulu TV stations. My friend asked about covering news in Hawaii and inquired about neighbor island coverage. The news director's response was, "Unless a plane goes into the side of Haleakala, there's no news to cover." About one-third of the state's population lives on the neighbor islands. That's a pretty decent-sized market that's often getting ignored.
            When I lived in Phoenix 25 years ago I was amazed that there were small news bureaus, actual news studios in the surrounding areas, one in Mesa, another in Glendale, these were actual NBC studios where if something happens in that area, they were ready. There also was an agreement for the NBC affiliate in Flagstaff to share services with the Phoenix affiliate even though they were two seperate stations. Flash forward 25 years, the news bureaus in Mesa and Glendale shut down, the news operations in Flagstaff also shut down after 39 years. Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities, you would think it would be better served to have all of these things intact, but the reality of the situation is economics. I, too have thought it would be great to have something set up on the other islands as well. Having someone fly over to cover a outer island breaking story seems to take too long, but now anyone can record things with digital cameras, cell phones, Flip cameras, etc. and bring things in live, which in some ways I suppose is a good thing.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Well, if you want to talk about traditions in Hawaii, do keep in mind that for many, MANY years in this state, we have had only had three local news stations.
              What I was speaking to when I said "traditional role" is the historical role news operations have played in America and globally. Because I've only lived in Hawaii for three years, I caution myself to comment on any Hawaii traditions. I'm just a guy from another island.

I totally agree that this is reflective of a shrinking economy. But I think all of this is more reflective of the notion that advertising piggybacking on news products can still be a lucrative enterprise.

Of course, I'm speaking more from the print side, where the situation is much more dire or publicized at least.
              ---
              Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                It wouldn't be the most shocking development for that to happen. Trying to squeeze in more local commercial spots is one way to increase lagging ad revenue.
                I remember when the 10 o'clock news didn't start at 10 o'clock. You had to program to 10:05 if you wanted to record a show that was before the news. I left enough time so that I could see if Joe Moore made a comment of the previous program.

Comment

Re: Saw this new post on craigslist...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                  http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tfr/1333931134.html
                  Hopefully it's a good opportunity for some to rebound with and not a bogus opportunist.

Please tell me you are joking. You seriously think that ad is real?

They can't even spell "Company" correctly in the title.

producers/crew = producer screw?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    When I lived in Phoenix 25 years ago I was amazed that there were small news bureaus, actual news studios in the surrounding areas, one in Mesa, another in Glendale, these were actual NBC studios where if something happens in that area, they were ready. There also was an agreement for the NBC affiliate in Flagstaff to share services with the Phoenix affiliate even though they were two seperate stations. Flash forward 25 years, the news bureaus in Mesa and Glendale shut down, the news operations in Flagstaff also shut down after 39 years. Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities, you would think it would be better served to have all of these things intact, but the reality of the situation is economics. I, too have thought it would be great to have something set up on the other islands as well. Having someone fly over to cover a outer island breaking story seems to take too long, but now anyone can record things with digital cameras, cell phones, Flip cameras, etc. and bring things in live, which in some ways I suppose is a good thing.

Aj
                    Back in the mid 80's KGMB did have a reporter stationed in Hilo...and dubbed it their "Neighbor Island Bureau", but yeah likely it was cheaper to fly someone to the outer islands or use freelancers for video footage than to keep someone on payroll.

Comment

When I heard the news I thought this was the first such arrangement in the nation but since then I have been told that there are others but was not given any specific examples. Does anyone know of a similar arrangement between two television stations that are major affiliates to combine newscasts in another top 100 market? I can't think of any.

Comment

There are over 30 TV duopolies in the United States. The FCC allows common ownership of two stations in a single market as long as there are at least eight other full-power stations owned by different owners after the duoploly is formed. Furthermore, two of the four highest rated stations cannnot be owned by the same company.

Nevertheless, there have been some instances in which a company has been accused of skirting these rules. For instance, Sinclair Broadcast Group controls all of Cunningham Broadcasting's stations with LMA's. However, nearly all of the stock in Cunningham is held in trusts by Sinclair's founders and owners. Some have alleged that this is effectively a "shell" corporation. In three markets, Cunningham and Sinclair own stations ranking in the Top 4 and in the other three, there are too few owners to legally qualify for a duopoly.

As far as 3 stations being controlled by the same entity, I think in Los Angeles NBC Universal owns KNBC, as well as KHWY and KVEA (Owned by NBC-owned Telemundo). KNBC is probably the only one of those in the Top 4.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                          When I heard the news I thought this was the first such arrangement in the nation but since then I have been told that there are others but was not given any specific examples. Does anyone know of a similar arrangement between two television stations that are major affiliates to combine newscasts in another top 100 market? I can't think of any.
                          I mentioned the station KCOY from Central California back on page 1 as an example of a shared services channel. Here is a link to information about them from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOY-TV

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
                            In the Yakima/Tri-Cities market in Washington State the ABC and FOX affiliates newscast are done by co-owned stations in Spokane, the CBS affiliate is run out of Seattle. Only the NBC station does a newscast that originates in the Yakima/Tri-Cities market itself and supplies the Seattle and Spokane stations with video for the other stations newscast.
                            Last edited by Ninja; August 25, 2009, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...FCC_Action.php

Comment

Midweek's pair of KGMB alumni makes their views known on the merger.

Bob Jones, who bemoans the fact it is ad revenues (not journalistic standards) that sustains TV news departments.

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum..._bad_for_news/

Jade Moon, who's upset at the situation because of a loss of "tradition." (There's that word again. As if tradition ever helped any failing business when it came to meeting the payroll.)

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum...gmb_tradition/

A quick slap of reality to Bob and Jade: The soapbox upon which both of you stand (Midweek magazine) is itself a business enterprise. Midweek does not exist as a public service. And it is not carried on out of some sense of nostalgia. Get real, you two!
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X