• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Here posted from KGMB's own website:

Media Council to Challenge Raycom Deal
    Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com
    September 04, 2009 02:51 PM
    The Media Council is planning to challenge the Raycom deal involving KGMB, KHNL and KFVE to the FCC.

The group has retained the Institute for Public Representation, based at Georgetown Law, to prove its stance that the agreement is "nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to avoid regulatory scrutiny by the FCC and that Raycom will exercise control over all three stations in defiance of the FCC ownership rules."

Raycom made the announcement of the shared services deal August 18. Under the agreement, the three stations will merge news, as well as other operations.
    Raycom Media retains ownership of KHNL/K5, while KGMB will still be owned by MCG Capital Corporation.

"Stations are granted licenses to serve the public interest in the communities they serve. This arrangement will reduce diversity of opinion, create canned newscasts, increase advertising rates, strangle independent programming, and raise barriers to any who wish to enter the market," said Chris Conybeare, president of MCH.

Comment

Laid-off on-air talent can always turn to PR firms or become spokespeople for big companies. Technical staff have fewer options...

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
        Laid-off on-air talent can always turn to PR firms or become spokespeople for big companies. Technical staff have fewer options...
        In a good economy, that would be true. In this one?
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Here posted from KGMB's own website:

Media Council to Challenge Raycom Deal
          Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com
          September 04, 2009 02:51 PM
          The Media Council is planning to challenge the Raycom deal involving KGMB, KHNL and KFVE to the FCC.

Raycom Media retains ownership of KHNL/K5, while KGMB will still be owned by MCG Capital Corporation.
          I though MCG will own KFVE. While KHNL and KGMB will be owned by Raycom.

Comment

Here is Kato's take on this:

http://thehawaiiindependent.com/page...r-erodes-news/

Comment

According to Daysog, all the weather and sports teams for KHNL have been let go. Wharton and Chau from KGMB are the first on-air people let go I've heard so far.

If you were suddenly terminated, but asked to train your replacements would you do it? Evidentily this is what has been asked of some staff who have been layed off. Awkward! I stepped down from a job years ago and was asked to train my replacement, which I had no problem doing. This is different.

Aj
              Last edited by Kalihiboy; September 5, 2009, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                In a good economy, that would be true. In this one?
                That was what I was thinking. Virtually every industry is downsizing and consolidating. Even government. Everyone impacted by this wave of job shedding could have it rough for awhile.

Of course for the on-air personalities, there could be opportunities in politics. Next year's elections will have wide-open races for governor, lt. governor, congress, and Honolulu mayor. All of the viable candidates for these offices will need campaign staff (i.e. spokespeople, communications directors, etc.) who are media savvy.

And of course, some of them might want to take advantage of their name/face recognition and become a candidate themselves. I don't see any ex-reporter contending for any of the major offices that I mentioned earlier. But there's always the smaller races in the state legislature and city council to run for.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                  According to Daysog, all the weather and sports teams for KHNL have been let go. Wharton and Chau from KGMB are the first on-air people let go I've heard so far.

If you were suddenly terminated, but asked to train your replacements would you do it? Evidentily this is what has been asked of some staff who have been layed off. Awkward! I stepped down from a job years ago and was asked to train my replacement, which I had no problem doing. This is different.

Aj
                  Which one is Rick-- is he sorta short?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Of course for the on-air personalities, there could be opportunities in politics. Next year's elections will have wide-open races for governor, lt. governor, congress, and Honolulu mayor.
                    Hmmm. Howard D. for Mayor??
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

• Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
                      Which one is Rick-- is he sorta short?
                      Rick Quan?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        That was what I was thinking. Virtually every industry is downsizing and consolidating. Even government. Everyone impacted by this wave of job shedding could have it rough for awhile.

[snip]

I don't see any ex-reporter contending for any of the major offices that I mentioned earlier. But there's always the smaller races in the state legislature and city council to run for.
                        Well, if any of them do I hope they acquit themselves like Barbara Marshall did rather than like Nestor Garcia's recent "Rod Tam and I think we should imprison the stinky people" initiative.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          Rick Quan?
                          rick daysog

is he the short dude who never smiles?

thought I saw him on a story once

Comment

Rick and Company are negotiating in bad faith with a lot of the production and technical staff. They are asking many to take pay cuts, except they call it an adjustment or some other ridiculous double speak. A lot these people essentially make the show, and create ad revenue for the station. The Sunrise show in particular has helped offset the rest of the station.

If you are making high six figures and are asking someone who makes less than a 5th of that, to take an "adjustment" you should put your cards on the table and show what sacrafices you are making. If Rick loses $5,000 a year, its one less trip to Aspen or wherever, for people making mid 40s or 50s it means a bill dosen't get paid, or a household sacrafices something. I think they are going to embitter a lot of the people who have made them a successful package. Hawaii is a small place with long memories, you can only abuse people for so long before there is some sort of reckonning.

Obviously they have to make a profit to remain in business and on the air, but they have axed a lot of long time personnel who have made it possible for the upper management, and owners to live more than comfortably. When you let experienced technicians, and production staff go quality under normal circumstances suffers, I can only imagine how poor results will be when we have our next earthquake, or major news event. For many of those who they did extend the offer to continue, its a lot less money to go into a bad situation, the station move and consolidation is going to be a hectic mess for the next few months. I would be suprised if KGMBs brands survive without some damage and loss of viewership, which ultimately has got to hurt ad revenues even more.

Hawaii viewership is somewhat different that major mainland markets. We are a very big small city, and trying to apply what is workable in other areas, is often a very bad fit here.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiimold View Post
                              I would be suprised if KGMBs brands survive without some damage and loss of viewership, which ultimately has got to hurt ad revenues even more.

Hawaii viewership is somewhat different that major mainland markets. We are a very big small city, and trying to apply what is workable in other areas, is often a very bad fit here.
                              I understand KGMB employees being resentful if they think that station executives aren't pulling their weight in making the sacrifices that they are asking of their staff. And if there's any avenue of recourse, I hope that such options can be explored.

But with that said, I'm gonna tell you now. Don't expect Hawaii TV viewers to go along with a channel boycott. As long as KGMB is a CBS affiliate that carries hit programming like CSI, Survivor, college/pro football, and March Madness basketball, fans of those programs will continue to watch it. They're not likely to suddenly stop watching these shows just because disgruntled employees start picketing outside the station offices.

For better or worse, that's just the way it is.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I don't think there will be any sort of boycott, nor would it have much effect. I do think that the people that make the news interesting and make all the pieces fit together won't be there anymore. That will impact viewer's enjoyment of the show, and is bound to result in lower numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X