KISS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KISS

KISS has a new album out. Any fans? They were one of the first bands I remember really liking as a kid. I admit I haven't followed them strongly over the years since, but respect the years they have been around in the business. Have they ever made any tour stops in Honolulu over the years? I know Paul Stanley's artwork has been displayed in Lahaina for years and he does come down for showings periodically.

Aj

Re: KISS

Not a huge admirer, but I like their songs well enough. The first song of theirs I really liked was "Christine Sixteen," which I still dig but which I now realize is a wholly inappropriate song! The next time they really rung my bell was the with the title track from their Lick it Up LP, still the only album of theirs I own on CD. In years since, I've grown to enjoy their anthemic hits "Detroit Rock City," "Rock and Roll All Nite," and whatever else is on the radio. I've had my eye on the solo LPs for some time, critical response notwithstanding. I have a great recording of Ace Frehley's cover of ELO's "Do Ya" that I really like.

I've been planning to be Peter Criss for Halloween for years now, but that day just keeps sneaking up on me, and this year it's on a weekend so I probably won't get dressed up at all. Perhaps next year.

And yes: I'm actually looking forward to checking out the new album.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Not a huge admirer, but I like their songs well enough. The first song of theirs I really liked was "Christine Sixteen," which I still dig but which I now realize is a wholly inappropriate song! The next time they really rung my bell was the with the title track from their Lick it Up LP, still the only album of theirs I own on CD.
      Lick It Up is very underrated number, possibly their best work during the "no facial makeup" period.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      In years since, I've grown to enjoy their anthemic hits "Detroit Rock City," "Rock and Roll All Nite," and whatever else is on the radio. I've had my eye on the solo LPs for some time, critical response notwithstanding. I have a great recording of Ace Frehley's cover of ELO's "Do Ya" that I really like.
      Ace turned in the best "solo" KISS LP in 1978. New York Groove, Speeding Back To My Baby, and Snow Blind. Some great stuff. And then there was his first Frehley's Comet album.

Admittedly, some of KISS's material has not aged as well as some of their contemporaries (i.e. Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin). But you have to give credit to Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons (who turns 60 in a few days!) for staying in shape and really giving concert ticket buyers their money's worth.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

LOVE "Family Jewels"!

Comment

Shout It SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!

Gene Simmons was here in Jaunuary 2008.

KISS came to Hawaii in 1976.
          Last edited by mel; August 22, 2009, 10:56 PM.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            Shout It SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!

Gene Simmons was here in Jaunuary 2008.

KISS came to Hawaii in 1976.
            Kiss with Booga Booga the opening act. Booga Booga got booed.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
              Kiss with Booga Booga the opening act. Booga Booga got booed.
              Were they booing or chanting boooggg...?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Were they booing or chanting boooggg...?
                Booing. Everyone was ready to rock. I guess comedy and rock don't mix.

Comment

Yesterday was Gene Simmons' 60th birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
                    Booing. Everyone was ready to rock. I guess comedy and rock don't mix.
                    How much of the audience were local people? I don't think they would boo Booga Booga.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091225/...e_gene_simmons

Dirty Lickins' Up, Lick It Up.

Comment

oh boo hoo for them. Our society has become so pro "let's sue" I find it sad.

Comment

If you were a rock and roller back in 1976 you would boo at anything especially disco. When Eddie Van Halen did that guitar solo on Michael Jackson's Beat It, they boo'ed Eddie!!
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X