Princess Michelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Princess Michelle

OK, the First Lady has a lot of people working for her. I get that.

But who's paying for the payroll? Are the bills rubber-stamped by the taxpayers somehow, or is the White House on an allowance? Does the First Lady have an expense account like everyone else, or does the Democratic Party pick up some of it?

I'd rather see the money go to salaries than to swapping out the oil paintings or putting new carpets & cigar-holders in the Oval Office.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      The Obamas also have children. The last child in the White House was Chelsea Clinton.
      What is also "unprecedented" is the number of death threats against the Obamas, hence, increased security.
      My thoughts exactly.
      Well said, Burl; I concur.
      To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

The Obamas also have children. The last child in the White House was Chelsea Clinton.
        Good point!

And not just one young child either, like in the case of the Clintons (Chelsea) or the Carters (Amy). Michelle Obama is the first "First Lady" to be raising two young children in the White House since Jackie Kennedy.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
          For good reason. He'd be safer in Kenya.
          Bobinator - I think we on here all get that you don't especially like Obama. However, your comment above could also be interpreted as a threat to the President. Think about what you're saying before letting your fingers walk all over your keyboard.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            Bobinator - I think we on here all get that you don't especially like Obama. However, your comment above could also be interpreted as a threat to the President. Think about what you're saying before letting your fingers walk all over your keyboard.
            This is exactly why I've stayed out of this thread. Not because Bobinator doesn't approve of Obama. That's certainly his right as an American citizen. But because of the immature manner in which he chooses to voice his disapproval. How about a little more substance to your disapproval, Bobinator? How about discussing the really important issues that concern you and in a mature manner? Just a thought...

Comment

One thing is certain is that Bush saved a lot of $ because he didn't take up the game of golf
              B.S.

Here's Dubya showing off his golf swing right after denouncing "terrorist killers" who had set off bombs in Israel in 2002. And yes, Bush was vacationing at the time.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...872190,00.html
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

This month Obama's approval rating per the daily gallop poll has now declined to 50% for the first time. It would appear that after the honeymoney period, Obama is more gimick than substance. Since being elected, his approval rating is a long slow decline. In particular since May 2009.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/Ga...-Approval.aspx
                Last edited by AlohaKine; August 27, 2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I highly doubt Michelle is working any harder than any other First Lady. At any rate, none of them wore $500 designer tennis shoes. Not to mention the family vacations they take every other month. I'm sure the Secret Service is really overjoyed. One thing is certain is that Bush saved a lot of $ because he didn't take up the game of golf or make celebrity appearances with Jay Leno.
                  how gauche of michelle to wear tennis shoes! she should follow this example!

and how underachieving of the president! he should endeavor to beat this record!

you know, instead of gallivanting off to exotic places like hawaii and martha's vineyard, the obamas should, like the rest of us real americans, buy a vacation home...or eight.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

What did Laura Bush ever do that she needed more than one assistant?
                    She has to be the most do nothing First Lady in recent US history (but doing nothing is far better than what her husband did for 16 long dark years).
                    She didn't even keep her old man happy at night, as W called her "the lump" on national TV. I'm sure that went over well...

$500 haircuts and tennis shoes, etc, are indeed excessive and irritating when our public servants spend that kind of $ on frivilous things and it better not be our $, but if it's their $ then... whatever.

And this recent Obama vacation to The Vineyard is his first true vaca as Pres. But don't let that stop the whining from the silly sour grape crowd.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

to her credit, laura bush was a big advocate for literacy.

can't hyperlink smartly w/iPhone so look here: http://www.google.com/search?q=Laura...&client=safari

iirc, she was a schoolteacher--one of those professions, imho, that automatically wins one a few points towards getting into heaven (unless you're a teacher who sleeps w/students or tells unruly ones, in a piqué of frustration, that they'll never amount to anything, etc.).
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

And, as far as we know, Laura Bush is the only First Lady to have committed manslaughter.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

huh. i had completely forgotten that she t-boned someone after running a stop sign when she was 17. she didn't find out, until she and her passenger were at the hospital being treated, that the other car's occupant died. the deceased, she found out even later, was her friend (former boyfriend?).

Comment

And, as far as we know, Laura Bush is the only First Lady to have committed manslaughter.
                            Perhaps, but at least she was always proud to be an American.

Comment

Perhaps, but at least she was always proud to be an American.
                              ...and you have first-hand knowledge of this? I think you've been ingesting too much silver.

Comment

Whoa, stop the bus!

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                                laura bush was a big advocate for literacy.
                                To everybody's credit, who isn't?
                                How much did the literacy quotient jump anywhere in the US during her 8 countem 8 years of White House level advocacy?

But God bless her, "she's homey"...
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X