Best Hawaii-based show ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Hawaii-based show ever

Loved Magnun P.I., mostly for John Hillerman, he was great in that role!
    And, I'll admit it fueled our desire to move here. We have every season on
    DVD. Funny, today at the pool I saw a black ferrari in the lot! It was
    gorgeous!

Oh, thanks Frankie's Market for your answer about "Hawaiian Eye"!
    I thought that was the case.

Comment

My better half bought the first season Magnum DVD set. Hard to believe, but that series is approaching its 30th anniversary next year. So there is definitely a nostalgia factor in watching that show and marveling at how much Hawaii has changed since then. The one thing about the show that hasn't aged well was the wardrobe. Yeah, I understand CBS pushing forward Tom Selleck's beefcake physique in order to bolster the show's female audience. But to even have co-stars Roger Mosley and Larry Manetti running around in short shorts,.... aiyeeee!!!!! That's too much for me to take.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I'll go with Gilligan's Island and the coconut cream pie.

Comment

I just thought of Gilligan's Island, too, right before seeing your post. I'm changing my vote to that. Fits the same criteria as Hawaiian Eye and LOST.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Does anyone remember The Brian Keith Show? I vaguely remember this show, from the early 70's, being broadcast on NBC. It was a short-lived show that portrayed Keith as a medical doctor practicing somewhere within Hawaii. I don't remember which specific island Keith was on, nor do I know if it was actually filmed or produced in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              True, Helen, but the show is "based" in Hawaii which is the criteria of FM's poll.
              So that means I can nominate some of the nature shows/documentaries about Hawaii?

Tears for Hawaii(doc) and Violent Hawaii(Nature), BBC Hawaii: Message in the Waves
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Tears for Hawaii appears to be life per some's perspective... whoa!

"Tears For Hawaii is a DVD documentary that examines the other side of the pretty postcard that is Hawaii! This documentary is about the island of Hawaii, it's about living on the island of Hawaii... and the untold truth of life beyond what the vacationing tourist and many island residents hear or see. Tears for Hawaii examines the concerns the residents of the Big Island have for Hawaii’s unknown future. Featuring thoughts and monologues by current Mayor Harry Kim and Uncle Sam Kaleleiki of the Reinstated Lawful Hawaiian Government! Also featuring the slack key guitar of John Keawe!

In this documentary, Videographer Frank Battaglia shares his thoughts and experience on living on the island of Hawaii. A self-proclaimed exile from Seattle, Washington, Frank has made his home on the Island of Hawaii since 2004. Thought provoking, and at times controversial, this documentary raises many points for concern. Concerns that raise the question...

“How Long Will Paradise Remain Paradise?”

WHO SHOULD WATCH THIS HAWAII DOCUMENTARY:
                Anyone planning to retire, move to, build in or vacation in Hawaii."

Gotta check it out sometime.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

How about those reality shows like The MTV Real World Hawaii that has no local people in it? There was another reality show based on Maui that was blasted by Lee Cataluna for having only young mainland tourist types.
                  Last edited by Walkoff Balk; September 2, 2009, 08:08 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Those are all good shows, but Let's Go Fishing, for the fond memories it brings and for its cultural impact, gets my vote.
                    I was able to see that occasionaly while I was living on the continent - it made me so homesick every time!
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                      Does anyone remember The Brian Keith Show? I vaguely remember this show, from the early 70's, being broadcast on NBC. It was a short-lived show that portrayed Keith as a medical doctor practicing somewhere within Hawaii. I don't remember which specific island Keith was on, nor do I know if it was actually filmed or produced in Hawaii.
                      It was definitely filmed here from 1972-1974. I have tons of episodes on old film prints. Actress Shelly Fabares played Keith's daughter. Nancy Kulp from the Beverly Hillbiliies was on the show. Lots of locals appeared on the show, it wasn't the funniest or best sitcom from that era, but it was a cute show with an interesting concept. Keith was a children's doctor and that is why it was called "The Little People". Gary Marshall was a producer on the show. Last I knew Keith's widow, Victoria who appeared in the show as a secretary still lives in Hawaii.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                        It was definitely filmed here from 1972-1974. I have tons of episodes on old film prints. Actress Shelly Fabares played Keith's daughter. Nancy Kulp from the Beverly Hillbiliies was on the show. Lots of locals appeared on the show, it wasn't the funniest or best sitcom from that era, but it was a cute show with an interesting concept. Keith was a children's doctor and that is why it was called "The Little People".
                        The Little People started off with real promise the first year. But the show was tinkered with the following season, with disastrous results. The series was renamed The Brian Keith Show as the child actor roles (the "little people") were eliminated. That was smart. A TV show about pediatricians with no children to care for!

As if that wasn't bad enough, the show's budget was slashed by the network, which necessitated fewer shooting days for each episode. Not surprisingly, this led to a dramatic drop in the quality of the presentation, as there was less time for re-takes and outdoor shots. (And really... what's the point of filming a show in Hawaii if you're going to make little use of this island's scenery?) The ratings tanked and the show was yanked in the middle of the second season.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The best and worst TV shows set in Hawaii (msn.com)

The original Hawaii Five-0 is the godfather of Hawaii based shows. Why isn't Gilligan's Island considered?

Comment

Working...
                          X