Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinky The Bus

The new Tam/Garcia sponsered bill that will be heard in commitee
    Thursday morning to impose a $500 fine and/or 6 mos. in jail for being too smelly on our city busses is getting nationally 'aired'.
    The penalties mentioned are of course the maximum and as in all cases are usually far from met. Just removing the offender should suffice in most cases. It's a rather broad application, will be a can of worms for law suits, and it's only getting proposed as rail is coming into view when it should have been addressed years ago per The Bus.

Too bad it's just the relative few that cause the problems, and getting them off the bus doesn't always alleviate the stench, as often the smells are ground in and left behind in the seat fabric, to which The Bus then uses an equally bad smelling cleaner to cover it up.

This should be fun...
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Stinky The Bus

Many of the elements of this proposal came from the King County Metro codes of conduct developed here in Seattle. To the best of my knowledge, no one has been prosecuted for the "offensive odor" aspect of the codes, only for more disruptive behavior.

Comment

HT's Lavagal addresses this subject in her Honolulu Advertiser blog! Seems she has first hand experience.

Comment

It's in order to make the homeless go away and please all the zenophobes.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is great! It'll require a cadre of certified noses to distinguish normal BO from offensive BO - that's playing to my strength. A nice, cushy job motoring around to sniff out the stinkers - sounds like a whiner [has entered The Bus].
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Solution...sit next to the driver. If you are overcome, the driver will smell it, too, and you won't need to "discreetly notify the driver."

How do all the mass transit undergrounds handle this? They look like they are more crowded than TheBus.

In the ED we handle BAD STINKS with a mask that has a touch of wintergreen oil smeared inside. You will fit in nicely with the "I don't wanna get flu" crowd... Unfortunately this will not completely protect you from flying nose boogers (see previously linked article.)

Comment

Everybody who rides The Bus has first hand experience

Ms. Bender's statement of "How it works" is the same as what they do now, stop/turn off the bus, call a super and the HPD, everybody waits or exits, and the officials deal with it.
              Only thing new is the stinker may have to do more than merely get off.
              And simply kicking serious stinkers off is not uncommon at present, just depends on the driver.

I remember the day long ago that I was late for work and had to run without a shower, failed to use deoderant, had another sweaty work day, and was pretty offensive to my fellow riders. It happens.
              But some are quite vigilant in their non-appreciativeness of basic hygiene and need to be addressed.

This is really all about the rail, and I'm betting the fares will be much more than whatever The Bus will be charging at that point and they are afraid of it costing them passengers and becoming a costly failure, thus proving to be Mufi's folly.

Comment

K-den. I got wind of dis yesterday and really don't have dat much info on it. However, as a Bus Rider, I got something to say. I work hard at what I do. And when I pau, I smell HAUNA. I usually go moemoe and wake up by the time my bus stop comes. Nobody baddas me. I'm a taxpayer and I have rights. So does other taxpayers too. As foa the odda people who come on da bus who smell hauna and no moa hale to bathe but need transportation to get wea to go. Why do we have to stop dem from going to their destination? They already have enough problems. No moa kaukau, hale, etc. Have we become that much of a society to ban dem from a bus? Ok. Must get ready to go to work. I'm babbling.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

This isn't, or shouldn't be about the average Joe. It's about those that refuse to manage themselves in a decent manner and reek beyond any reason. Even the most destitute have means of bathing and washing their clothes, free showers and soap are available, certainly in town where the majority of them at least pass thru. To be truly and habitually offensive on public transit is inexcusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Even the most destitute have means of bathing and washing their clothes, free showers and soap are available, certainly in town where the majority of them at least pass thru. To be truly and habitually offensive on public transit is inexcusable.
                    Even if it is offensive...they're still humans.

Do we spend money and transport them in yet another Bus System?

Late foa work.

Adios.

Stinky Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

No, this is about stupidity and the post #9 is just frosting on that cake. Now, where's my free soap and shower when I need it?
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

If it was up your...

...well, you get the picture.

Comment

When I used to go to KCC via Route 1 (I think but then again its been awhile)
                          Sooooo when I was the Route #1 AMC bound somethin smelled in the air and it was a patron I dunno if it was homeless or just did not get around to taking a bath but this guy was HORRIDS! Everyone was gasping for air, opening windows and even giving the dude the stink eye! Finally da braddah got off at Kapahulu Ave (next to Jack In The Box) and boy everyone was HAPPY!

I dunno if anything similar to this is gonna happen here but would love to....

Comment

Yet another reason my loss of smell serves me well! I could ride that bus around the island and not even notice!!!

Still, lack of personal hygiene doesn't just apply to the homeless. I remember giving someone I knew; someone with a job and a roof over his head, a ride to an event. The stench took over within a minute. At the event, people seated around this person began to move. After the event he asked for a ride home. I turned him down. I later learned that this issue was also a major problem in his workplace.

I knew a homeless man once who took better care of himself than a lot of householders. He was always clean shaven. His hair was always neatly trimmed. His clothing wasn't dirty in the least. And, no stink! IOW, he still had pride in his personal self and found ways to take care of that.

Removing any medical problem from the equation, this stinky problem is more about personal choice than it is about personal circumstances. IMNSHO, that is!

Fire away, Salmoned!

Comment

Exactly!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Removing any medical problem from the equation, this stinky problem is more about personal choice than it is about personal circumstances.
                              The majority have made their sane choices of how they'll behave in public, and if it crosses a line then there should be consequences when it involves others who are forced to be around them. Having to move away, cover your nose, get off the bus, are not legitimate options for us who give a rip about ourselves and those around us.
                              I have homeless/penniless friends who care to be civil and take care of themselves, and you'd never know they are very hard up. Again, the services and accessories are available free of charge at many places islandwide.
                              And it's not just relegated to the homeless. Some European tourists/transplants you encounter, who are otherwise normal, are some of the worst offenders. What's up with that?

Comment

Working...
                              X