• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Slaps Strangers Crying Child at a Wal-Mart Store

Man slaps stranger’s crying kid

By KATIE LESLIE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Gwinnett County man is in custody accused of slapping a stranger’s crying toddler in a Stone Mountain Wal-Mart on Monday.

Sonya Mathews, the mother of the 2-year-old child, told police that both were walking in the aisles of the Rockbridge Road store when Roger Stephens, 61, approached and said “if you don’t shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you,” according to a police report.

A few moments later, in another aisle, Stephens grabbed the 2-year-old and slapped her across the face four or five times, according to the report.

Stephens then told Mathews, “See, I told you I would shut her up,” according to the report.

A bystander held Stephens until store security came to assist, according to a WSB-TV report.

When police arrived, Stephens said that he slapped the child and that he apologized to Mathews, according to the report.

Stephens was charged with felony cruelty to children. He had his first court appearance Tuesday and is being held at the Gwinnett County Detention Center without bond, according to the Gwinnett Police Department spokesman Cpl. David Schiralli.

The 2-year-old victim sustained slight redness to the face, according to the report. There was no video footage in the area the incident took place, according to the report.

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/man...ng-129235.html

Held without bail?

They allow murder suspects to post bail!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Man Slaps Strangers Crying Child at a Wal-Mart Store

After seeing him on CNN at his court hearing, I can't believe the mom allowed the old grump to touch her child. I can't believe he moved too fast for her to stop it, and I think she was too frustrated and upset to interpret his intentions correctly. I really believe she did not think he was going there.

He would have had to slap me first as I scratched his eyes out.

Nasty old fart. There needs to be a civil case filed as well.

Comment

Good for him! Twice would've probably been enough, though.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          I'm curious. Do you let strangers assault your child?

Comment

OH.
            MY.
            GAWD.
            That makes me sick, Susie.

Comment

It's not okay in any way for someone/anyone to discipline a child without parental approval. That said... it's also not okay for parents/guardians to let the child run amok, continuously cry, or otherwise ruin other people's experience. Parents need to act responsibly also. IMO

I've had to ask families to leave the galleries at Bishop Museum, after asking that the children's behaviour be amended to respectable actions. Some parents have no control over their kids and I feel sorry for them and their kids when they become teenagers. Look out!
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                That said... it's also not okay for parents/guardians to let the child run amok, continuously cry, or otherwise ruin other people's experience. Parents need to act responsibly also. IMO
                Sighs. I know that feeling. Unlike that man, I got a filter in my head to prevent me from acting out what's stirring up in my head.

That man who was a customer there could just have walked away.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The "stranger" should have slapped the man right back at full strength.

Comment

It takes a village to raise a child. We have grannies over here that would do the same thing, and teachers that pull ears, too. Teaches the little buggers some respect for the world at large....sometimes they think they can twist their moms around their little fingers and continue at the supermarket and then continue as teenagers at school...and you know the rest.

Being smacked or told off by a stranger is just another version of being hushed and told, "What will people think?"...teaches you that we live in a society where rules get followed.

And, yes, this is a very old-fashioned town, deep in the countryside, forgotten by time. But the kids here are al polite and nice, and I'm not afraid to go out at night or leave the door unlocked, and there isn't much trouble or delinquence, and no teenage pregnancy that I know of, and most kids still marry their childhood sweethearts, and you don't pass someone on the street without a 'bonjour'.

For the most part, people behave in the correct and proper manner....and I think it all has to do with respect.

Comment

(Of course, anyone reading my blog will see that the people of this town are also human, and not all from a Disney movie or a Norman Rockwell painting.)

Comment

I get the "it takes a village to raise a child" thing but discipline and what this guy sounds to have done are 2 different things. Sounds like this guy snapped and just hauled off and smacked the kid full on out of frustration and anger/rage. Rage has no place in disciplining ANYTHING. Calm assertiveness yes. Rage, Heck no.

Before someone says it, yes Ceasar Milan says calm assertiveness too but it works on more than just dogs lol.

I hope that if people see my son acting up, that they correct him, but don't lay a hand on him. If someone lays a hand on him without my permission in any way possible, I'm going to jail cause I'll beat the snot out of the person.

It takes a village to raise a child. We have grannies over here that would do the same thing, and teachers that pull ears, too. Teaches the little buggers some respect for the world at large....sometimes they think they can twist their moms around their little fingers and continue at the supermarket and then continue as teenagers at school...and you know the rest.

Being smacked or told off by a stranger is just another version of being hushed and told, "What will people think?"...teaches you that we live in a society where rules get followed.

And, yes, this is a very old-fashioned town, deep in the countryside, forgotten by time. But the kids here are al polite and nice, and I'm not afraid to go out at night or leave the door unlocked, and there isn't much trouble or delinquence, and no teenage pregnancy that I know of, and most kids still marry their childhood sweethearts, and you don't pass someone on the street without a 'bonjour'.

For the most part, people behave in the correct and proper manner....and I think it all has to do with respect.
                        -kp!

Comment

just cause we're all human, doesn't give us an excuse to act like animals.

(Of course, anyone reading my blog will see that the people of this town are also human, and not all from a Disney movie or a Norman Rockwell painting.)
                          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                            just cause we're all human, doesn't give us an excuse to act like animals.

I was brought up near to SusieMisjohn and English is my second language. Yup ! we were chastised as children by adults on the bay of biscay. If we stepped out of line the we would get a clout around the ear.
                            I never thought of my chastisers as "animals" ! The same lady who smacked your legs would give you a toffee apple the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                              I was brought up near to SusieMisjohn and English is my second language. Yup ! we were chastised as children by adults on the bay of biscay. If we stepped out of line the we would get a clout around the ear.
                              I never thought of my chastisers as "animals" ! The same lady who smacked your legs would give you a toffee apple the next day.

Discipline.....Rage read my previous post. When one can't control themselves out of anger while in their mind disciplining a child will often result in the child being injured. What does that teach the child?

Ever hear of shaken baby syndrome?

I'm not suggesting that YOU Or Susie are animals. I don't know you. I'm referring to the rage.
                              -kp!

Comment

Working...
                              X