X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor sportmanship of the year?

Maybe for the decade. You be the judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAIcRHs1tk

LeGarrette Blount not only needs to be suspended for multiple games, but he is in serious need of anger management counseling. Sucker punching a Boise St. player, taking a swipe at his own teammate, forcibly restrained by police and stadium officials from taking on some fans.

What a way to kick off the 2009 college football season!
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Poor sportmanship of the year?

Year? Probably! Decade? It may face some competition from this incident!

You'd think these people would be very grateful for playing the game they love for a living.

Comment

No to excuse the assault but...

That wasn't a sucker punch. And the Boise player should have had his helmet on if he was going to get into the guy's face or at least not take his eye off his target so soon. He'll remember that next time.

Per the 2nd vid, that's assault with a deadly weapon.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 4, 2009, 09:59 AM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: No to excuse the assault but...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        That wasn't a sucker punch.
        Really?

Either you don't know what the term sucker punch means (wordnetweb and freedictionary.com both define it as "an unexpected punch") or you have really, REALLY bad eyesight. Take your pick.

And the Boise player should have had his helmet on if he was going to get into the guy's face or at least not take his eye off his target so soon. He'll remember that next time.
        Duh!!! Ron, that's what makes a sucker punch what it is! The cheap shot artist doesn't tell the other guy what he intends to do.

Boy, I can imagine your idea of a fair fight. Suddenly throwing a punch at someone who's turning away from you. And then telling your victim, "Remember that the next time!" is what you think will inspire respect and admiration from everyone who witnessed your sucker punch. Yeah Ron. Shuuuure....
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yes, really...

If you go getting in someone's face you better expect a reaction like that, not immediately turn away.
          A sucker punch is nailing someone that has no clue you are either there or that it could be at all expected. This Boise guy was aware of both and paid for his mistake.
          Has a glass jaw as well.

Comment

Re: Yes, really...

If you go getting in someone's face you better expect a reaction like that, not immediately turn away.
            And why did the Boise player turn away? In large part, because his head coach (wearing the blue cap) was trying to get his attention and direct him away from the direction of Blount. And like a snake, Blount used that opportunity to throw the first punch and then backpedal away like crazy.

But hey, if this kind of cowardly behavior is something you're going to defend, then so be it.

A sucker punch is nailing someone that has no clue you are either there or that it could be at all expected. This Boise guy was aware of both and paid for his mistake.
            The dictionaries I cited do not use the qualifier that is boldfaced. Now, if you want to start making up your own definitions out of thin air, then go ahead and knock yourself out. But when you go around and tell other people they are wrong when they use a term in a way that properly fits in with the definitions that actual dictionaries use, you're only making yourself look ignorant.
            Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 4, 2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              You'd think these people would be very grateful for playing the game they love for a living.
              He's not playing it for a living.

I won't go so far as to say "that's what a guy gets," but when I saw the footage, my first reaction was, "Hm. I'm not sure that's a sucker punch." The two were obviously jawing at each other and one wasn't looking when he got the hit, but it wasn't like the other guy just ran up to him from across the field and decked him. He got the hit as part of that confrontation.

In any case, none of that changes the fact that it was poor sportsmanship of the most extreme sort. Boise proved it belongs in the conversation about mid-majors deserving a realistic shot at the BCS.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The player who threw the punch yesterday was just suspended for the rest of the season by his university.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Sucker punch or not...that was one of the most cowardly things I've seen in a long time. He got suspended for the season, but will practice with the team and stay on scholarship. Could be much harsher, but I think being so close but not being able to suit up on game day will drive him nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    !) But hey, if this kind of cowardly behavior is something you're going to defend, then so be it.
                    2) Now, if you want to start making up your own definitions out of thin air, then go ahead and knock yourself out.
                    1) I've stated that I don't excuse the assault. So don't try to sucker punch me with that BS, OK?
                    2) Not out of thin air. That's how I grew up, probably long before you popped onto the scene, and before there was a dictionary deffinition. You didn't mouth off without expecting a serious reply. The kid blew it, plain and simple. He should have been more aware, especially while not having his helmet on. That was dumb.

BTW, the punch was merely a glancing rabbit punch of a chip shot. The perp could have easily laid into it and broke his jaw with the angle he had.

And, the guy got the penalty he deserved.

Comment

Sucker punch or False crack?
                      I think he was mad at the Healthcare proposal.

Comment

2) Not out of thin air. That's how I grew up, probably long before you popped onto the scene, and before there was a dictionary deffinition.
                        If you want to talk about your homemade definition, then fine. It's cool. But don't tell other people they're wrong, just because it doesn't match up with the peculiar definition you've grown up with.

You didn't mouth off without expecting a serious reply. The kid blew it, plain and simple. He should have been more aware, especially while not having his helmet on. That was dumb.
                        You say that Boise St.'s Byron Hout was mouthing off? Here are a few pertinent facts that I will add to the discussion:

1) It was Oregon's LeGarrette Blount who told Sports Illustrated a month ago that the Ducks "owe that team (Boise St.) an a** whuppin."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/124/st...k=omni_popular

Now, SI is not some picayune press. If you're going to trash-talk another team in print, then doing so in SI magazine is just about the biggest platform that you can find. If Blout is going to mouth off in SI, he can't go around and think that the BSU players are going to be unaware of what he said before the game. And he can't count on the idea that the Broncos are going to forget what he said after the game either. Hey, if you're going to engage in pregame trash talk, then you can't turn around and get sore at someone who makes you eat your words after you get your butt handed to you on the field. The idea that Blount was the target of unprovoked postgame trash talk from the Broncos is baloney.

2) Not only did Oregon lose to Boise St., but Blount personally turned in a miserable performance. The Boise defensive line (a squad that includes Byron Hunt) thoroughly owned Blount the entire day, holding him to NEGATIVE 5 rushing yards. Instead of LeGarrette Blount giving the Broncos an a** whuppin, it was the other way around. And Blount, the poor baby, didn't like that. Awwwww!!!!!!!

3) I don't care where anyone grew up or what school of hard knocks they came from. A real man doesn't win his fist fights by false-crackin' the other guy..... and then high-tailing it out of there. Of course, that's my personal homegrown definition of what a real man is. Everyone else is entitled to their personal definition, even if their vision of a "real man" comes perilously close to my definition of a yellow belly coward.
                        Last edited by Frankie's Market; September 4, 2009, 08:26 PM.

Comment

This is a tough one. The Boise State player in all likelihood did not expect to get punched (being in a football game with the obvious consequences) so one could consider this punch a sucker punch. Of course in the vast majority of other circumstances talking trash in the heat of the moment is likely to lead to exactly what happened.
                          I will say then that this was a cowardly act by the Boise State player (because he thought he could talk trash and actually touch the guy with impunity because of special circumstances i.e. he wouldn't try that in a dance club and turn away 1 second later). Also agree that Blount got the punishment he deserves.
                          What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/stor...atch?GT1=39002

Big girls don't cry.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Why is this a big deal, and McEnroe's outbursts get a free pass?
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X