Poor sportmanship of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor sportmanship of the year?

Let me clear here - I like Serena Williams and usually root for her. As I was doing yesterday. It was a bad call - her foot didn't appear to be on the line. But...Serena was way out of line in her behaviour. She approached the line judge (a small Asian woman), pointing with her racquet in a threatening manner and apparently dropping quite a few F bombs while she was yelling. If she then also threatened to shove a ball down the judges throat - well, that was uncalled for and definitely poor sportsmanship. Plus the fact that Serena IS a big girl, and certainly much bigger than the judge! I was shocked watching it all on TV - I can only imagine how the judge felt.

McEnroe was penalized many, many times for his actions on the courts and was also a poor sport many, many times. Serren's actions were no different than his. and she got fined and lost the chance for another championship. I would say that is fair.

What's truly unfair to Cljisters is the way she made her way into the finals. Should she win, her victory will forever be associated with the manner in which she won her semi match. Would she have even won, should the match have been played out to the end? It will certainly put a question mark on any victory in the finals - and through no fault of hers. The confusion on her face yesterday and her interview made me truly feel sorry for her.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      Why is this a big deal, and McEnroe's outbursts get a free pass?
      Serena Williams is representing herself and the United States. There are a lot of international tennis players, so the audience is worldwide. She can't be the American bully.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        Serena Williams is representing herself and the United States. There are a lot of international tennis players, so the audience is worldwide. She can't be the American bully.
        Oh. McEnroe must have played against only Americans.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          McEnroe was penalized many, many times for his actions on the courts and was also a poor sport many, many times. Serren's actions were no different than his. and she got fined and lost the chance for another championship. I would say that is fair.
          "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!"

What's truly unfair to Cljisters is the way she made her way into the finals. Should she win, her victory will forever be associated with the manner in which she won her semi match. Would she have even won, should the match have been played out to the end? It will certainly put a question mark on any victory in the finals - and through no fault of hers. The confusion on her face yesterday and her interview made me truly feel sorry for her.
          Serena's DQ will be the topic of heavy discussion for the next few days, to be sure. But in the long run, there won't be any asterisk attached to the results of the '09 US Open. Bad calls are a part of the game. If a competitor can't keep a level head and constructively deal with bad calls that come their way, then they won't emerge as the winner, no matter everything else they do right.

In any sport, verbal abuse of officials is simply not an acceptable option.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

You have your viewpoints - I'm entitled to mine. I won't argue with you.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

You have your viewpoints - I'm entitled to mine. I won't argue with you.
              But of course.

Hmmmm. Just hope you realize that my response of "YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!" wasn't an expression of disagreement with anything you said. It was simply a reference to,..... Ah! Just watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

In resect to the Serena Williams incident, you can't have people threatening the referees. I think McEnroe's behavior should have been managed better back in his day. If you can intimidate the referee, you can control the outcome of the game. If a referee is found to be lacking, then the administrative body that hires the referee can deal with it. Baseball culture has kind of accepted the attempts of coaches to bully umpires. It has become part of the "show". Hockey has decided to accept almost any behavior, literally.

It's kind of a tightrope with these college and professional sports. You get these highly charged situations where a lot is at stake. People's adrenalin is pumped up. Provocative remarks are made. Many sports offer plenty of opportunities for covert, unchecked violence that is beyond what is permitted by the rules. Some will engage in dirty pool, others won't. Dirty pool has to be penalized when it's identified. Rewarding cheap shot artists will not lead to better outcomes. It's not entirely different from the financial mess we're in today. Dirtballs carried the day and now the chickens have come home to roost. It's not unusual to have an enforcer who is willling and able to dish out violence that is beyond what is allowed by the rules. Players have a variety of personalities and capacities for impulse control.

Bottom line, IMO, is that certain behaviors should not be tolerated. If you hit somebody with your fist during a game, you should be prosecuted. Then, you should face sanctions by the team and/or league.

Sports certainly aren't primarily responsible for violence in society at large; but in their own way they can sometimes contribute. On the other hand, sports provide an outlet for aggression that has to decrease some violence in society. They teach teamwork, fair-play, "sportsmanship" and other positive values. The scales tip decidedly in favor of the positive contributions of sport, but it will only hold true as long as sport is synonymous with integrity. People idolize athletes. Like the quarterback who idolized Michael Vick. People experience euphoria or depression in response to how their "team" performs. Men, who aren't even participants, apparently have changes in testosterone levels in response to winning or losing.

Like it or not, athletes at the college and professional levels are the role models for millions of people. If violence that has not been agreed upon within the rules of the sport appears, there must be consequences. Otherwise, people who don't have a strong inner-compass will follow the examples of the people they admire. It might even become widely accepted as normal, adaptive behavior. I suppose some might think that is a good outcome. If you want a society that functions at the lowest level of moral reasoning, i.e. "Might makes right", then condoning this behavior would be the way to go. I would suggeset that it is not the way to go.

Comment

For one of his outbursts, McEnroe was first assessed a penalty point, then a game as he persisted, and then defaulted the match.

For all his ranting, McEnroe did not threaten bodily harm, as I recall.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/..._soccer_fracas

Another nominee.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxHu...layer_embedded

We're number one!

Comment

Today is National Sportmanship Day. I want to see Frankie's Market and Kaonohi shake hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          Today is National Sportmanship Day. I want to see Frankie's Market and Kaonohi shake hands.
                          Hahahaha. This site practically requires a scorecard to keep track of the offense vs the defense.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            Hahahaha. This site practically requires a scorecard to keep track of the offense vs the defense.
                            ... as well as the offensive and the defensive...
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...-election-loss

A nominee for this year's election is...
                              Either one?

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9666--nfl.html

The hoodie showed his class again.

Comment

Working...
                                X