"Made in Hawaii" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Made in Hawaii" Project

Pomai over at The Tasty Island has been helping me a little bit with my "Made in Hawaii" project.

I am going to be in Hana for 5 days. I plan on shopping when I arrive in Kahului and in Paia at Mana Foods. My goal is to buy only products made in Hawaii. I want to do this for 2 reasons:
    1. I want to honor hardworking Hawaiian businesses by purchasing their products.
    2. I want to sample the best of the Islands and purchase things that I couldn't easily find on the mainland.

I have started a shopping list on Google Docs. I've decided to try something crazy , and share it with the public so anyone can edit it. I thought it would be fun to see what other people recommend.

I would love to have suggestions and recommendations. If you have some ideas of things I should try, please check out my shopping list and feel free to add anything you like, or make any suggestions! All you have to do is type right into the document! Don't worry about messing it up, Google keeps the whole history, so I can always get back to an older version.

I plan on taking pictures and blogging about the experience when I get back

If you're interested, mahalo for your help! You can find the doc here:

johnfromberkeley's "made in hawaii" hana maui shopping list

Mahalo, I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by johnfromberkeley; September 6, 2009, 08:32 AM. Reason: changed the name of my google doc

Re: Help with johnfromberkely's "Made in Hawaii" Project

of course, you can just leave suggestions here, too.

Comment

i just made some comments on your list - just suggestions. Sounds like you have a good plan. I hope you can find everything on it. While in Kahului, look for a Foodland store. They are a local chain grocery and have the basics for you - also here in Honolulu, their ahi poke is very good!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

anapuni-

you rock so hard! i love your suggestions! thank you SO much!

anyone else got any clever ideas?

p.s. pomai got me off to a good start, don't you think?

Comment

FWIW, I just added a few (in orange!). Sounds like a fun trip.

Comment

tutusue-

thanks! awesome suggestions! one major bummer, but i probably won't be able to hit any farmers markets, due to time and location. still, there are some roadside stands i can hit.

thanks!

BTW, I'll be blogging about my final experience on my blog here:

johnfromberkeley on hawaii - musing from the mainland

Comment

Re: "Made in Hawaii" Project

Originally posted by johnfromberkeley View Post
              tutusue-

thanks! awesome suggestions! one major bummer, but i probably won't be able to hit any farmers markets, due to time and location.[...]
              The specialty products I purchase at the farmer's market doesn't eliminate the possibility that they might be available in stores. Worth a check. I buy them at the farmer's market because I'm there!

Comment

any last minute suggestions?

i'm leaving in the morning.

wondering if there are any last minute suggestions?

Comment

Thanks to Miulang!

Miulang added a bunch of great ideas via PM, which I added to the Google doc. There are some things I probably can't do, so I didn't add them to the Google doc.

But, Mahalo, Miulang! Tons of great advice and suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                  X