Trash or treasure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash or treasure?

I'm finally getting around to cleaning out my “Island of Misfit Toys”. These things may have value but perhaps are no longer valuable to anyone except as paperweights and doorstops:

- Two 512 MB sticks of RAM, 184-pin 400 MHz CL3. I think it's PC 3200 DDR SDRAM but I can't remember how to read the chips or the labels for the rest of the details.
    - a Radeon Visiontek Xtasy 9550 graphics accelerator with 128MB of RAM on an AGP card
    - a Pentax Optio W10 waterproof digital camera with a cracked screen (only good for parts)
    - camera battery charger and cables for the camera
    - 11 silver spoons and a salt scraper from small Heartland towns collected by my grandmother in the 1930s-40s
    - old pamphlets:
    * a 1934 reprint of a FORTUNE magazine article on munitions companies
    * a 1955 “This Is Your Congress” from the “Independent Economic Research Foundation” (?!?)
    * a 1934 “The duPont Company and Munitions” defense against accusations of fomenting war
    * a 1953 Bureau of Land Management info bulletin on leasing Alaska land
    * a 1974 “Franklin Mint” collection of coins of Jamaica
    * a 1973 USPS Souvenir Mint Set. IIRC the stamp's torn perforations reduce their “value”.

These dregs are the remainder of an inheritance/cleanup that I've been handling mainly through eBay and a few specialty websites. I'm having trouble getting good eBay info-- any other resource suggestions?

I'm not too worried about seeing any of this stuff on “Antiques Roadshow”, but I'd much prefer to donate it to a school computer lab or a library rather than pitch it in the trash.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Re: Trash or treasure?

Originally posted by Nords View Post
    - Two 512 MB sticks of RAM, 184-pin 400 MHz CL3. I think it's PC 3200 DDR SDRAM but I can't remember how to read the chips or the labels for the rest of the details.
    - a Radeon Visiontek Xtasy 9550 graphics accelerator with 128MB of RAM on an AGP card
    My budget PC which I bought last year can only be upgraded with 1 gigabyte ram sticks (the four ports have two 1 gigabyte sticks and two 512mb sticks) and has an NVidia card with twice the memory of your Radeon. In my opinion, I'd either sell those two items for super cheap or give 'em to freegans. You may also try contacting friends or family with outdated computers and offer them an upgrade.

On Google shopping, you'll see the videocard is offered for $60-90 by only two outlets, but Newegg no longer carries it.
    Last edited by Vanguard; September 7, 2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Re: Trash or treasure?

Thanks, I'll be darned-- $60 sounds like a lot of money for a video card that old.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
      X