Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the computer small-parts stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the computer small-parts stores?

I'm "upgrading" to an external SATA hard drive from an external EIDE, but I'm hoping to re-use the external power supply instead of starting all over again with new parts. I'm looking for a couple of cheap cable items but I don't want to spend $15 for Mainland shipping. I tried Mililani's Radio Shack but they didn't have what I'm seeking.

The first item is an eSATA PCI bracket cable:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812104063
    The SATA cable plugs into the motherboard and the other end terminates in a card bracket for an external SATA cable to plug into.

So the second item is a three-foot SATA cable that I could plug into an external hard drive. I already have the external power supply and a SATA HD.

I was going to do this without the bracket (just plug the SATA cable into the motherboard, pop out a bracket cover, and route the cable's other end to the top of the case) but I was reminded that if I'm going to leave that cable plugged in all the time then I'd probably want it grounded through the bracket, not through the motherboard.

Are there any specialty computer-parts stores left between Pearl City and Schofield Barracks?
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Re: Where are the computer small-parts stores?

There's IC Supply on Ualena St. near the airport, and Honolulu Electronics on Auahi St. Any others? I've been to IC Supply a couple of times. Googling for mentions here on HT, there were references in:

Comment

IC Supply has been around for decades and is the geek of geeks store when it comes to raw electronic components. Precision Radio, Electrical Equipment and Honolulu Electronics were other electonic parts suppliers but don't know if they're still around. Radio Shack back in the 70's was a great place for electronic components until they went full-on consumer electronics.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks for the votes on IC Supply. Where a geek can be a geek! I practically grew up in places like that.

I got the cables, although I have to drill out a card bracket to mount the eSATA adapter.

Now I just need to connect it all and track down imaging/backup software.
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
        X